280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn up the boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:37 PM

Turn up the boost

I figured the answer to my queastion would be easy to find but I searched and nothing, so here it goes. What should I use for an intercooler, I plan to put one on next year so I can raise my boost a little but I don't have thousands to spend on a gigantic intercooler. So is there an intercooler I could find of another turbo car I could find for cheap. And I'm looking to uprgrade the turbo, is there a turbo I can find for cheap or is there someone who coud port the stock one? Whats the best boost controller will the MSA boost adjusting kit work fine on a low horsepower setup? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:29 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by KTM200-280zxt
I figured the answer to my queastion would be easy to find but I searched and nothing, so here it goes. What should I use for an intercooler, I plan to put one on next year so I can raise my boost a little but I don't have thousands to spend on a gigantic intercooler. So is there an intercooler I could find of another turbo car I could find for cheap. And I'm looking to uprgrade the turbo, is there a turbo I can find for cheap or is there someone who coud port the stock one? Whats the best boost controller will the MSA boost adjusting kit work fine on a low horsepower setup? Thanks for the help.
There are a number of intercoolers available in the junk yard from Volvo's, VW's, Mitsubishi's and probably a couple others that don't come to mind right now.

If you're not planning on significant power increases then a relatively small and efficient intercooler should be fine.

Try this thread:

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showth...ht=intercooler

I'm sure you'll get responses from others that have gone this route.

Last edited by lww; 01-05-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I was reading on this site about removing the pop off valve and I wanted to know the benifits of that, does it just raise boost and if so how much. If I just removed it and plugged it would it raise the boost to high for a mostly stock car? Thanks Ktm200
Old 01-06-2005, 05:05 PM

or just buy a monster like this....:-D
this is a spearco core with custom end-tanks made for an rx-7, bought it off ebay...it fist PERFECT.

how much more boost? ive read lots that after 10# stock system starts leaning out...so be carefull

cheap turbo ..eh maybe you can find one but how long will it last...ya know...

i still cant belive im doing this conversion...ah....

Last edited by Skully; 01-06-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:46 PM
The Evil Twin

Wow Skully, you've been busy
Old 01-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
Wow Skully, you've been busy
eh i get into the garage from time to time...still gotta buy LOTS stuff before i can start the assembly...i want to have everything bought...because if i start and im missing someting...i tend to forget about the whole thing
Old 01-07-2005, 07:48 PM

Will a 1g dsm or starion intercooler be able to fit on our cars. I found a few on ebay for those 2 dsm's. One ends in 35min and its at $25!! If not wich stock turbo car will work the best to get an intercooler from? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:13 PM

I think I have plan, I'll get a dsm intercooler and a manual boost controller and boost gause. For the intercooler what do I do for piping, can a exhast shop bend some 3'' piping for me? And I can't afford a electric boost controller so I was looking at boost controllers on ebay most are only like $30 are they any good though? Will they cause any lag or anything cause this one looks pretty good- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...945501099&rd=1
Now what about boost gauges, mine seems fine now but who has the best aftermarket ones.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:23 PM

well first 3" piping would be overkill on a turbo zx, im gonna go with what other people have gone with either 2.25 or 2.5 piping.

and yes you can get an exhaust shop to make you some piping...chances are they have lots already made so just go in and ask for the piping you need ....

heres a link, read everything on the page...its usefull i got many other pages that you can read trough too but start here...

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/turbo/index.html
Old 01-08-2005, 04:36 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Skully
well first 3" piping would be overkill on a turbo zx, im gonna go with what other people have gone with either 2.25 or 2.5 piping.

and yes you can get an exhaust shop to make you some piping...chances are they have lots already made so just go in and ask for the piping you need ....
In most cases 3" is probably overkill. But in some cases it isn't. If your car is turbo and you can get someone to fit a 3" pipe under your car properly then it's worth it.

If you do go to an exhaust shop, make sure their bends are mandrel bent! This prevents the 'pinching' on the bends you see on cheap exhaust pipes.

You can loose a whole 1/2" inch of diameter with a normal pipe bender and some yahoo that just started working there. Even an experienced pipe bender will pinch the pipe if he doesn't use a mandrel pipe bender.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by lww
In most cases 3" is probably overkill. But in some cases it isn't. If your car is turbo and you can get someone to fit a 3" pipe under your car properly then it's worth it.

If you do go to an exhaust shop, make sure their bends are mandrel bent! This prevents the 'pinching' on the bends you see on cheap exhaust pipes.

You can loose a whole 1/2" inch of diameter with a normal pipe bender and some yahoo that just started working there. Even an experienced pipe bender will pinch the pipe if he doesn't use a mandrel pipe bender.

yes mandrel only.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Hey skully, I found that page about an hour after I posted and I'v read every little link on it now, wow it answered most my questions about the POV, intercooler and boost controller. I'm just a kid so I'm trying to take in as much knowledge as I can. And those other sites , if you could post those that would be awesome, the more I read the less dumb questions I ask. That intercooler of yours is gigantic, wish I could afford something like that. Thanks KTM200
Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 PM

i read that site as well...tons of useful info on the whole turbo spectrum of things....

i have a question though, it said the maximum boost that can be had out of the stock t3 turbos is 10psi safely....is there anyway to modify my turbo to produce that amount by adjusting the wastegate or actuator?

just a thought
Old 01-09-2005, 05:42 AM

From what I read you could bring the stock T3 upto atleast 15psi with the right parts like an IC. It said it was only safe to run 10psi without an intercooler. So correct me if I am wrong (wich is likely) but it's not the turbo that can't handle that much psi but your motor as long as don't have an IC?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:57 AM

max boost with stock turbo EVERYTHING is 10 psi...
after that the Computer, Injectors, pump too i think, start leaning out...
its not the turbo that cant handle it..its the fuel delivery components...

These are the sites ive been trough....its not necceseraly a Z site, but its got information.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/turbo.html
http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm
http://www.turbo.co.nz/alltech/refer...rbo_basics.htm
http://www.tripleplate.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=7001
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/hybrid_turbo_install.html
Old 01-09-2005, 02:33 PM

i need to reword my question...
it said the max safely w/o an IC is 10 psi... my injectors and such are new.. how can i adjust my turbo to produce a lil more boost?? im not talking 4-5psi just maybe 1 or 2..
Old 01-09-2005, 05:10 PM

If your on a budget just get a manual boost controller and boost gauge. You have only spent about $100, but I think you are going to have to remove or modify your POV because it's set at 9psi.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:15 PM

how would i go about adjusting my POV without any extensive labor or cost?
im on a rather strict budget right now and im looking for a cheap effective way to increase performance...
Old 01-09-2005, 05:26 PM

http://home.flash.net/~joeao/greg/adjpopoff.html
This link will tell you how to make an adjustable one for two bucks. Or you can just plug it for $1. THe POV is just a safety mechanism. you would have to set about 2psi above what you set your boost at. If you remove it and put a plug in it, wich seems really easy you just got to be careful. I think you can buy an aftermarket one but there probably expensive. www.dawesdevices.com I would go there for the controller and get an autometer gauge if you are on a budget. I read you can get 45HP with those two mods and some tuning!
Old 01-09-2005, 05:29 PM

I know what it's like being on a budget. I'm 15 with a low paying job and a car that needs 3k in body work to make it spotless. Oh yah can't forget that extra 3k a year for insurance cause my age.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:36 PM

that is EXACTLY what i was looking for...much appreciation...

thankx
Old 01-09-2005, 05:42 PM

also is the wastegat actuator anyway adjustable? it says on the site that you can take it off cut it rethread it and put it on therefore making it adjustable or that you can(being absolutely careful when doing so) bend the actuator arm slightly...will this actually increase the amount of boost? or will it just allow for the existing boost to be applied(like the POV modification...)

Last edited by assimilated420; 01-10-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 PM

ok well i modified my POV earlier today..and i notice a bit of a difference, i dont recieve more boost, but the boost i have lasts much longer through those higher RPMs...

now to refer back to my question...(no1 has seemed to answer)

is the wastegat actuator anyway adjustable? it says on that one site that you can take it off cut it rethread it and put it on therefore making it adjustable or that you can(being absolutely careful when doing so) bend the actuator arm slightly...will this actually increase the amount of boost? or will it just allow for the existing boost to be applied(like the POV modification...)
Old 01-11-2005, 04:03 PM

I'd like to know that to, Any body know? And about the POV, I figured you wouldn't feel any difference at all without the boost raised.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:21 PM

I just want to make sure that besides what I said about the POV and everything else, is there any thing else I am going to have to do so I can raise my boost to about 9-10psi?

Quick Reply: Turn up the boost