280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM

Ok odd but whatever, So what is the point of twin if you don't get anymore power ?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Sememmon
Ok odd but whatever, So what is the point of twin if you don't get anymore power ?
Twin Turbos can make a lot of power, but the setup has to be built right.

But... have you noticed that a lot of Supra guys have converted the 2JZ-GTE twin turbo engine to a large single turbo?

Small turbos spool quick, but don't push much air... Large turbos spool slow, but push LOTS of air.

EDIT... You really should read the book MAXIMUM BOOST.

Last edited by NismoPick; 05-04-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:18 PM

I have noticed that mostly in skylines but yeah, ok so if you have two small t3's it's not going to pump much more power than with one, but why exactly, I mean you do have Two wouldn't that be moving more air making more power?
and if they spool up fast you get that power faster. right?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Big Poppa

i say try it and see what happens, whats the worst that could happen, you put on the single turbo stuff and go with it. if you do lots more reaserch you may find someone somewhere that has some knowledge about it. make one big manifold that powers both turbos from all 6 cylinders. just a thought
Old 05-04-2006, 04:39 PM

thats not a bad idea
Old 05-04-2006, 04:40 PM

I have noticed that mostly in skylines but yeah, ok so if you have two small t3's it's not going to pump much more power than with one, but why exactly, I mean you do have Two wouldn't that be moving more air making more power?
and if they spool up fast you get that power faster. right?
The two T3's WILL push more air into the engine then one T3, therefore creating more overall power. But now instead of having six cylinders spooling that one turbo, you've got 3 cylinders working on each turbo. That's going to create a lot of lag. The L28ET comes with a T3 as it is and people still complain about lag (I"m not one of them). But if you were to get a bigger turbo capable of pushing enough air to make a reasonble HP level (these motors aren't going to handle 1000HP ) it would also spool faster then the twin T3's.

What you would want to do if you wanted to go twins is to get two smaller turbos so you could still get good spool and they'd still make good top end. I personally think a single turbo is by far the most efficient means here though for a reasonable HP goal. A T3/T4 is capable of pretty good power and it's going to spool up very quickly.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
The Good Twin

thats not a bad idea
It's a very good idea. You have to take into consideration the amount of exhaust the engine puts out (collectively & from each cylinder). Also take into account how much intake air is needed... then you need to match it w/ injectors & fuel controller. Like I said before, you can't expect to just slap on another turbo & think it's gunna run like a champ. Engine design is very precise & takes talent to do it right. You can't just make a supercar by piling on a bunch of parts. There are a lot of factors you need to look at, so again.... sit down with some engine design / mod books... and learn the proper steps in building a high output engine.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:48 PM

I think I will, really, and then I will come back with what I have come up with. cool?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:42 PM

thanks for that pic apollo
Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Big Poppa

might want to get your rods shot peened, thatll boost the potential of them
Old 05-05-2006, 05:28 AM

ok cool thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:59 AM

Just a FYI for your research. James Thagard used twin Mitsubishi 16G turbos. He ended up running a 10.6 on that setup.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
Ok I am just throwing this out here, but I have a few things to say about this. Uh twin turbo lets see!!!!!!!!!!!! you are looking for a lot of boost, corect? or are you just looking for less lag? forged parts as mentioned are in good thoght, and biger injectors for sure. by adding another turbo you have added the extra work of adding extra weight. I don't know if they have made any of the variable geometry turbos for gas application or not, but I would say that somthing like that would be an awsome thing to have.
I just pointed this out about the twins, because well fabricating the tubes, making oil lines more pipe hangers less room more heat more metal in general.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:18 PM

Well I'm looking for a good medium Fast boost but as much power as I can get out of that, I know thats a bit of a contridiction but I think with a TT set up I would have faster responce and just as much power, mind you only if I have then both being pussed by all 6. but I have bee thinking of scraching that and doing that super turbo combo if at all posably becuase thats what I'm looking for the reaction of a super but the high top end of a turbo.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
Then I would recomend a supercharger. don't laph any one. the thing about one turbo pushing the other( having all 6 cylenders going through both)is well on the diesel it an emisions thing and lag thing. I don't think that idea is worth it at all. Ether a bigger turbo for some reason, or somthing like a super charger. I am sure there is enough to compensate for all that preasure electronicly meaning engine management. Mega Squirt and all I don't know enough about the electronics they have come up with for this paticuler car.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:47 PM
The Good Twin

My head hurts just reading all this...

If you want a lot of power from a built engine, GET AN L28ET and build the crap out of it. Bore it, stroke it, do head work, studs all around, a T3/T4 hybrid, and an aftermarket fuel management system. Do it right & you'll be pushing 350hp. Much above that, you will then need a beefier tranny, rearend, and body mods. I personally don't think you're ready to do that... So GO GET AN L28ET, BUILD IT & BE DONE.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Well I do have a 280zx turbo so I guess the L28ET is covered, now for all the other things.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 PM

ohh and ...Yes sir.. lol...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
The Good Twin

ohh and ...Yes sir.. lol...
Das right! Now that we got that all cleared up, we can guide ya through the engine building. It's not gunna be cheap tho (as you've prolly figured out).

Machine work (depending if you bore it, or just hone it): $400 - $600.
Pistons & rings (really only if you bore it): $350
Headwork: $250
Head & bearing cap studs: $300
T3/T4 hybrid upgrade: $300 - $400
yada yada yada... the list goes on. If you really want a wild machine, do what this guy "Jeff" did: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: If it's quick response and spool up you want then either get a single smaller turbo or take dusts advice and super charge it. Put a T3/T4 on there with the proper a/r's and you'll have yourself a fast spooling turbo capable of putting out good numbers on the top end. Twin turbos are not meant to increase response. They are meant to produce more top end. Adding a second turbo actually creates more lag. But by going with two smaller turbos you can keep lag down (as opposed to using a HUGE turbo) and still make big power (as opposed to a single small turbo). But even two small turbos are going to have more lag then your stock T3. A supercharger/turbo combo wouldn't really be worth it as far as functionality goes. I mean, how much power are you looking to make? That is the deciding factor on how you should go about setting up your car. A T3/T4 is capable of helping your motor to produce more power then it can on pump gas and it'll still spool quicker then a set of twins.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Big Poppa

has anybody seen that turbo kit that goes at the rear of the car, its pretty cool and has no lag, you stuff your turbo out back, behind the gas tank, and plumb to the front, and cause of the length of the tubes, it acts as an intercooler. it actually is a great setup and everything stays cool cause its out in the wind. ive seen mustangs and firebird and some corvettes done like this and they haul some serious @$$
Old 05-06-2006, 10:42 AM

Sweet thats a awsome Idea, and I my Hardly easy goal is 400 hopfully
Old 05-06-2006, 10:44 AM
NisTuner

Would you be able to run much boost off of that though? I thought that was one of the problems with intercoolers even. As the piping for the turbo gets longer and longer you lose pressure and therefore boost. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Big Poppa

little more boost to compensate, but like hydralics, whatever pressure is at one end, it is almost at the other, keep the tubes a little smaller maybe, research my boy, its your friend
Old 05-06-2006, 01:48 PM

F$#* you shaddy why do you have to think of all the cool Ideas Lol.. jk bro thanks,.

Quick Reply: Twin it??