280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
Actually that set up was ariginaly on the cameros. Oh and what makes you think there is less lag? you know your exaust runs the turbo right? If your turbo is further down the line you don't expect the exaust gas to have not lost any momentom by the time they hit an abstruction like the turbine? yes it is cooler, but I think you have to be carefull not to hit high water or pudles and suck water up in the turbo. These turbos are used yes, but they don't make the car hall any more *** than a normally mount turbo if you will. yes you would also have to bump the boost up, but it is not like hydraulics, for the fact that well when compressing a liguid force aplied is equl on all sides in all areas. A liquid is not compressable, but air is. what that has to do with any thing I don't know, but it is true that you do loose boost down the line.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Big Poppa

well it just seems to work really well on the gm stuff, they prolly use smaller exhaust then ness. to help it be pressurized at the end of the tube, ever put your hand on the end of a tailpipe, there some pressure there, i know my car has lots, and i got 2.5" dia. just a thought thats all, and thats what reaserch is for. not my problem if he doesnt do it, i think there was even an article in hotrod magazine. imo its a great system that should be tried, i dont need a new engine yet, or for a while so itll have to wait for me!!! maybe on the racecar
Old 05-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Yeah

Originally Posted by Sememmon
F$#* you shaddy why do you have to think of all the cool Ideas Lol.. jk bro thanks,.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:14 PM

The rear mounted turbos aren't as efficient as a turbo mounted in the engine bay. There are a few reasons companies decided to go with rear mount turbos on those cars. One is that you would no longer need to fabricate a custom turbo manifold. There is limited space in the engine compartment of most modern day V-layout machines. And of course by moving the turbo out of the engine compartment you remove the heat associated with it. In a tight engine compartment the turbo will start melting things under normal driving conditions. On vehicles originally equipped with turbos these sorts of things are worked out from the factory. And those V8's have a butt load more displacement (more exhaust) and 2 more cylinders to spool those rear mounted turbos.

I dont get what the big deal is here? Nissan put an L28ET into the 280zx. Why is everyone making it sound so complicated to turbocharge the damn thing? The twins wasn't too bad of an idea. But why mount the turbo at the rear of the car when there is already a factory turbo manifold available and plenty of room to mount it in the engine bay where it will be more efficient? Now you're putting that heat under the passenger compartment and next to the fuel tank. Two places I'd rather not have excessive heat in abundance.

The only reason I can see to mount a turbo in the rear of a 280zx would be to balance more weight to the rear. But there are easier way's of doing that.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
But there are easier way's of doing that.
Dead bodies? oh... I said too much!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Big Poppa

just thoughts, and its a cool idea cause it prolly hasnt been done before, hey how bout twin rear mount turbos? now im jus getting silly, what about a turbo from a kenworth or something, ive seen 4 bangers like that before and fox body mustangs like that.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 AM

Stay away from twins. All you are doing is adding more stuff to break. I've had two rear turbos go, and they are a bitch to get out. Now granted my car is alot different, but the main idea is the same.

Moving parts wear out and break, don't add more parts to worry about, oil lines wear out and really screw your day up too. So don't add any more. Keep your setup simple. That is all so why people with in-line motors, Supra's and such, go to a big single turbo, why have that big assed twin setup, that is so complex, when you can throw it all away, and have a much simpler and better designed system

You want better turbo response get a better turbo, and get a really good manifold made from a reputable shop. Concentrate your research on manifold designs. Find the optimal runner length to increase the exhaust flow to the turbo. More flow = better response and more potential. And have a really good down pipe and exhaust. You want power, than make your turbo as effeciant as possible. A effeciant turbo all so runs cooler than a non effeciant turbo. Look at compressor maps for the turbo you are looking to get and then match it to your needs. Look at it this way, the stock turbo turned up to 10 psi moves X amount of air, but may be off the compressor maps optimal curve. So go find a turbo that moves that amount of air but is in the compressors optimal curve. So instead of running 10 psi and over working the stock turbo, find a turbo that can move that same air and just do it cooler and more efficient than the stocker. That way you arn't over working it and since it isn't being over worked it will also last longer.

Plus a custom manifold adds to the bling factor

Last edited by Lost Vegaz; 05-07-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:04 AM

THe turbo from a Ken Worth is the stupidest thing I have herd. On the exaust side turbine the blades have a totally different pich. Your lilltle datsun being a gas burner dosn't creat enough exaust flow to push it fast enough to even do anything. Diesel's such as what the Ken Worths have in them is usally a Cat. C15 you want to take a turbo frome an engine that is 15 liters of engine pumping to push a turbo and put it on a 2.8 liter?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Doesn't post much...

^ I think he was kidding dude...

Decaf tastes almost as good as the real thing ya know.

Rod.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Big Poppa

there are 2 guys at the local track here with fox body mustags running 40 psi semi turbos. i kid you not, they do like 5 seconds and are street legal cars, they are insane. and the piping is huge
Old 05-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Define "street legal"
Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Big Poppa

drivable on the street with plates and insurance, dot approved tires, a heater, glass windows, full functioning lights, no wheelie bar, aircare emmisions approved, and mufflers
Old 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM

40 psi damn that is crazy.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 PM

See it's a little harder to have a street legal vehicle here in Cali. Everything on the car has to be CARB approved. Of course what the car has under it's hood when it passes emissions is not neccessarily what you'll see under the hood at the track
Old 05-08-2006, 03:10 PM

Decaf? who ever heard of that!!!!!