280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhealthy 280!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Unhealthy 280!!

Hi Im new on here and have a question for somebody. My 83 had been sitting for 5 years up until a couple months ago when I started working on it. It runs like champ when its warmed up, chugs pretty bad until it hits normal operating temps. Smokes black until warm. A 240 expert told me to check resistance on a thermosensor on the thermostat housing and thats all I really have at this point. the nasty running at start up doesnt bother me that much but it wont pass smog-that bothers me. I firmly believe these problems are related. Any ideas out there?? Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
The Good Twin

Moved thread to 280zx section since your 83 Z is a 280zx... not a 280z.

Welcome to ZDriver!

Have you changed the gas? Have you done a tune up? What have you checked?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Über User

since your is an 83 it has a cylinder head temp sensor that is more likely to make it run rich (which would be teh black smoke) the older S30's what your buddy said would be true. but for the ZX its most likely the the CHTS (cylinder head temp sensor) its the sensor in teh passenger side head. you can remove the plug and just try cleaning it damn good for now, and see if that fixes it if not probably should replace it. also if it sat that long i hop you did the basics before starting it of changing the gas and oil in it and doing a tune up (spark plugs (NGK only), plug wires, cap, and rotor)

EDIT: F*** you nismo how DARE you beat me to the post... how dare you....
Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 PM

unhealthy 280 again...

For sure, drained the nastys outta the tank, fresh oil, filters, plugs. havnt done wires or cap yet as they were fresh when it started sittin on '04 but im sure that wasnt good for them-it was outside. Ive changed the oil 3 times since I got it running to get all teh nastys outta that. Its a great running car except for just running rich. Ill definitly check out that chts, sounds like a good lead. Thanks alot for the tips!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I would also check your TPS. (throttle position sensor) Also your oxygen sensor. And even your AFM (air flow meter) It could be faulty or bad. Just do a good thorough examining and cleaning of all of your sensors and such. And see if that changes anything. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 AM

stil no luck

Yea yesterday I went through every sensor I could find on the block and injection system, cleaned em up with their connection. I also pulled the egr which was packed up with carbon, cleaned it all out. My boot in between the air metering box and injection system was a lil loose, so I pulled that up tight and sealed it all off really good and the car runs just the same. Absolutely no difference. So Im thinkin a sensor is bad?? Is there an easy way to test em to find the culprit? I have a voltmeter...