280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Turbo Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Upgraded Turbo Question?

What's Up? I got my 280ZX Turbo back from the body shop today it looks great. Now my next step it to upgrade my Turbo. I want to go with a T3-T4 set-up,new injectors,intercooler,BOV,and maybe an extra injector that is triggered by a switch. I was thinking about a JWT Turbo or if anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Also what can you recommend for an intercooler. As far as extra fuel I think the extra injector would be cost effective and would work well? I dont want to spend a lot of money on a stand alone system. My car is an 82 280ZX Turbo w a custom intake and exhaust.

Thanks
Raul
Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Über User

well your going to want to upgrade the EFI honestly if you want to go that far might as well do it all at once so you arent making new intakes and exhausts etc. t3/t4 is a good choice you can also get custom welded flanges and get a holset turbo from like a diesel save a bit of money and still have a great turbo. the new injectors will be relativley pointless without a new EFI setup because the stock efi system in these cars are much to simple to compensate properly for serious mods. as for a BOV HKS or tial is all i'd ever buy. for an intercooler stick with a 2.5 inch piping setup it will all have to be custom made and for an intercooler you can get an NPR from like an isuzu they are popular otherwise i'd say find a REPUTABLE local mod shop that does fab work and turbo stuff like for me i have AMSperformance near me. dont get anything huge unless you plan to go big or go home. something thats mild but still will perform good the shop should be able to help you choose size. honestly though it also helps if you know where you want to place it if you want the IC snug up against the front opening get something that will match the size and shape of it. theres no good answer for that question just dont go huge and create a huge pressure drop and lag for yourself
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
well your going to want to upgrade the EFI honestly if you want to go that far might as well do it all at once so you arent making new intakes and exhausts etc. t3/t4 is a good choice you can also get custom welded flanges and get a holset turbo from like a diesel save a bit of money and still have a great turbo. the new injectors will be relativley pointless without a new EFI setup because the stock efi system in these cars are much to simple to compensate properly for serious mods. as for a BOV HKS or tial is all i'd ever buy. for an intercooler stick with a 2.5 inch piping setup it will all have to be custom made and for an intercooler you can get an NPR from like an isuzu they are popular otherwise i'd say find a REPUTABLE local mod shop that does fab work and turbo stuff like for me i have AMSperformance near me. dont get anything huge unless you plan to go big or go home. something thats mild but still will perform good the shop should be able to help you choose size. honestly though it also helps if you know where you want to place it if you want the IC snug up against the front opening get something that will match the size and shape of it. theres no good answer for that question just dont go huge and create a huge pressure drop and lag for yourself
for an intercooler stick with a 2.5 inch piping setup it will all have to be custom made and for an intercooler you can get an NPR from like an isuzu

Were could I get the isuzu NPR? how much do they cost?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Were could I get the isuzu NPR? how much do they cost?
Your local junk yard... ebay.... the cost depends on the seller. Free - $100. Make sure it doesn't have any punctures or bends or whacks that would cause leaks.

PS... to make an NPR IC work (or any IC for that matter), expect to do some hacking on your rad support, and some skilled plumbing.

Last edited by NismoPick; 11-05-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Über User

yup, its all custom also you can get them pressure tested my buddy the cummins diesel tech can do it its super easy so im sure any diesel shop could do it for you
Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 PM

This might be a stupid question but are you talking about all aluminum piping? I'm looking into a new IC setup and I work as a millright so I have access to TIG welders and I'm looking forward to the plumbing
Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Neu_maddox
This might be a stupid question but are you talking about all aluminum piping? I'm looking into a new IC setup and I work as a millright so I have access to TIG welders and I'm looking forward to the plumbing
You can use whatever material piping, but aluminum is the lightest.