280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vaccuum & the F.I.C.D

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 06:10 PM
User Friendly

The FICD adjusts the proper idle speed when the air conditioning unit is turned on, and is controlled by the ECU. If your engine stalls when you turn on your AC, then it is likely that the FICD needs to be replaced.

However, from what you've described, it appears that you're having low idle problems when the engine is cold, and dissipates after the car has been warmed-up -- but not in relation to whether the air conditioning unit is on or off. Sorry, is that correct, or did I just misunderstand? If it has nothing to do with the AC unit, please let me know, so that I'm not confused as to the problem you're having. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:38 AM

was wondering what year Z you working on? I had similar prob on my turbo and the vaccum pump. I ran straight vaccum to my Heat/ A/C controll and added a oneway check valve so not to loose vaccum when boost kicks in. You need to make sure you have vaccum going in and check all hoses for splits or cracks.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:45 AM

Vaccum lines

Yo, if you run straight vaccum you will need a check valve because when you step on gas hard you loose vaccum. As far as the vaccum can, I know it has a filter on bottom and charcol inside and I think all you can replace is the filter. If the can is full of gas you will need replacement. The can its self is easy to remove, just be sure thats where your gas smell is coming from. I have seen injector lines leak, fuel pressure regulaters and or even the fuel lines. Really take a good look at them all,it does not take but a couple of drops of fuel to smell it........Sounds like you may have a vaccum leak as well, check them all for splits in the hose and those 2 vaccum switches I believe there are lines on the bottom of those 2 vaccum cans also.Good luck and happy hunting............