280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird acceleration problem...??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 PM

weird acceleration problem...??????

alright....let me put all the problems down, and see if they tie into anything....well, it seems like my car accelerates just fine until i begin to move from negative boost to positive boost, the second it starts to go into positive boost it will start to chug and not accelerate at all....and thats gears 1-5....another thing is the oil pressure seems abnormally high, about 65-70 psi, also it seems like that gaskets are leaking a little bit too, so im going to replace the gaskets and see what happens from there. also i checked the oil and had to add 2 quarts because it was almost below low, and the last sympton would be the tachometer seems like its moving really slow now, i put the oil in last night and its doing better, but not like it used to be. next is the gaskets...but could that really be the problem??? help me please!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 PM
The Good Twin

Oil pressure sounds fine. I'd be more worried about low oil pressure.

Does it only chug right above + boost, or all the way through the boost?

Which gasket is leaking?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Oil pressure sounds fine. I'd be more worried about low oil pressure.

Does it only chug right above + boost, or all the way through the boost?

Which gasket is leaking?
it chugs right above plus boost, and its the upper gasket that leaks, as far as i know for now...someone stole my tools from my shed...so i dont even have a wrench to take it off
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 PM

Air leak (massive) or your turbo be shot is also a possibility. The high oil pressure could be from restriction in the oil passages somewhere and the turbos not getting enough oil. No oil means that the bearings and shaft are going to go out. Once that happens you're not going to be seeing very good boost. A lot of resistance in the bearing housing will also cause the turbo to spool much more slowly so... This is a pretty bad scenario, and not neccessarily the one you're in. But it should be taken into consideration. Could be an exhaust or wastegate leak too. But it sounds like your turbo might be on it's last leg. Listen to the center housing with a stethoscope for any strange noises. Unless it's an exhaust or head gasket I don't see that being the cause of driveability issues.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:56 PM

actually, the weird thing is, i filled up the oil, and not it runs better than ever
strange
Old 12-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Turbo may not have been able to spool up well cause of friction. Now that theres oil in there it lubed up it doesn't have all the friction so it spools up just fine now Just a thought. Could've been anything though.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM

i have no clue....but as long as it keeps fixing itself like that....ill be happy as a clam