280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Well...

I took my Z to a local mechanic, to drain and refill the Tranny and Rear end. So they got the tranny drain plug loose, which was near impossible, but they finally did it, barely a quart drained out, and it was completely gray, the magnet on the drain plug had tons of shavings on it,and what appeared to be a few gear teeth. Than they got it refilled and it held about 3 quarts. But as for the differential, that was a whole different story. From all my research, I've gathered that I have an R200 diff. We tried and tried to get the fill plug off the diff, but no matter what we did it didn't work. Eventually the plug got too stripped to even work. So after much debate, realizing what might happen, we decided to try and weld a nut to the plug, and get it off that way. First go round, the nut actually breaks off, so round one goes to the diff. Than, he layed down a super thick bead on it to secure it without a doubt. He tries everything, latching vice grips on and hitting the grips with a hammer, using whatever he could. But to absolutely no avail. So eventually we gave up on it, and now I either keep driving, and my rear end will eventually fry or I get a new diff, or at least a new cover. What would you suggest? I'm feeling right now that I should just sell off my Z and find something else, as it has too many problems, and right now I don't feel like investing a whole lot into it. My car indicates very poor maintenance by previous owners, I'm feeling I should just sell this and get another Z, or maybe a sports car of similar type. I'd love to have a car that works completely and has trouble free maintenance. Also, my tranny STILL grinds sometimes, so I think even that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. Just don't know what to do at this point.

Last edited by Z_six; 03-23-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Über User

3 quarts in the tranny???? mine only held 2 till the fill plug started leaking, and my R180 diff only held one quart, i was uber surprised by both seeign as how i had like 6 quarts to use, idk... the rear ends are a trick but with patience its very doable.... well... was until you guys stripped it... i cant believe a mechanic stripped it. you should make HIM buy you a new rear diff or at least install one for free.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
3 quarts in the tranny???? mine only held 2 till the fill plug started leaking, and my R180 diff only held one quart, i was uber surprised by both seeign as how i had like 6 quarts to use, idk... the rear ends are a trick but with patience its very doable.... well... was until you guys stripped it... i cant believe a mechanic stripped it. you should make HIM buy you a new rear diff or at least install one for free.
Well part of it was my fault, I had tried to get it off awhile back,and I pretty much stripped it. I had used a breaker bar and everything I could to get it off, which didn't work, hence the reason for going to a mechanic. They tried to go ahead and do it normally with a half inch drive, but it was far to gone to get off normally.