280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do to my 280?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:00 PM

what to do to my 280?

hey i was just wondering what i should do to my 280 first?
ihave:
*stereo
*exhaust
*alarm
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 PM

What would you rather hear?
*Anything you want to at the touch of a button.
*The Badass Inline 6 sittin' under that hood of yours.
*A really loud, annoying sound that go's off when people that chose the top two go by.
That's all personal preferance, but I would do the Exhaust. Monza has some nice kits, and if you look around MSA they got some good stuff too. My second chioce would be the stereo, but I don't live in a neighborhood where I have to worry whether or not my baby is still in the driveway/parkinglot when I wake up. hope this helps.
P.S. If you do have to worry about your Z still being there in the morning, go with the alarm. Mine dosn't look good enough to be a planned theft, and I live in a very low crime nieghborhood.
sorry bout the rambling.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 PM

I'd go with the exhaust personally as well. But if you don't have any gripes about your Z as it is, then I'd have to say the stereo. Especially if you spend a lot of time in your car. I has my stereo stolen and man I miss that thing, long drives on the highway just aren't the same. But then without the alarm, your stereo might just end up like mine. I say get all three at the same time.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 PM

But J, ya gotta remember man, these are'nt called the POOR mans Ferrari for no reason, If any one on here can afford decent to higher end equipment for all three at the same time, then please let me know.
This post is in no way meant to be offensive, just tryin to get a piont across. I too would get all three at the same time, but it seams like it is not just me that has majer money issues and drives a Z. It all costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 PM

This is what I have been working on I dont have a pic to show but what I did is that I got two radio installation kits one to put on my radio the other I took off the face of the old radio and glued it onto the piece of plastic to make it look as if the old radio was there with the little buttons and everything. and i attach it to the console with velcrow. So when ever im not in it all you see is the old *** radio. Not to many peeps want that radio, but I wouldnt suggest bassing out because then either way they will know something is in the car.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 PM

That is why if you have a 2+2, you convert the rear seats to fold-down speaker boxes, just gotta get a hinge style lock from menards, and lock it with a pad lock, Done!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 PM

sorry guys.
i already have done those 3.
i have a 2 and a half " exhaust.
pioneer mp3 player kenwood 4 ch runnin mb quart splits and a us audio amp runnin 1 15" sub.
and an alarm.
i ment what next??
Old 06-06-2005, 08:17 PM

*Cherry bombs
*DVD monitor
*"Get the **** away from my Z!" talking alarm

There's some ideas for ya.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 PM

and i had enough money todo all 3.
i prefer my car over any other one. i dont consider them too be for poor ppl
Old 06-06-2005, 08:30 PM

Amen. Now that I reread your post you did say you already have those. Wheels and tires. Nothing will make your car handle like a good set of performance tires. Lowering it would help the ride too.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:33 PM

280ZXcruiser, that post is not directed towards anyone in particular, just a broad statement. If you really start going through all the past posts, you will notice that none of us don't do things because we are lazy or we don't know how, if we don't know how, we ask. But if you go through and count all the times that one of us has not done something because of money, or had to chose between multiple things, you will surely give up counting. I think I speak for everyone hear when I say that our Z's, whether it's a '72 mint condition Fairlady, or a 1980 cancer infected 2+2 (such as mine) It is not a car, it is a piece of our lives that we take a lot of pride in, and put our blood sweat, tears, and every possible penny into untill both us and our Z's are happy with the result. My piont is...let's end this beef about money, and just focus on what we all came here for, the Z's! I suggest a truce (or however the hell you spell that).
Old 06-06-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Amen. Now that I reread your post you did say you already have those. Wheels and tires. Nothing will make your car handle like a good set of performance tires. Lowering it would help the ride too.
Hey J, I'm completely lost, how did we start talking about tires, I was still on stereo's and exhaust, and alarms, did I miss something?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:00 PM

i didnt mean to be arguementive. sorry i just love my car.
i have a set of 15" dished hotwires on it atm. there is not many wheels to choose from.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:35 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey I like the old-*** radio in my Z! I have customized it to show a blue instead of the gawdy orange. With a disman for the cd player. It is looking verry custom. My whole interior is going to be blue and silver. Including the clock, the radio display, and also the gauges too. And I am hooking 6 speakers with a sub-woofer. When I get done, as I am redoing the interior. Just waiting on my insulation and carpet. Then start putting the interior back together! Sorry about the rambling, I am so psyched on getting my car done, and on the road.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:26 AM
The Evil Twin

Next is a hidden engine kill switch. the alarm wont' keep your car from being stolen.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 AM

yeah my dad rigged up a lil light switch underneath the hood next to the battery..hooked up t the starter wire so when i leave my car in a bad neighborhood i just pop my hood and i dont even lift it.. just reach under and flip it then push the hood back down.. lil bootlegged, butthats no matter if your car is stolen...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:58 PM
The Evil Twin

If your car was a manual, a theif could hotwire it and still roll start the car.

I was thinking more along the lines of a tiny little switch hidden inside the car that you flip off every time you leave. You never know where your car might be stolen from. One that cuts power to the coil or the fuel pump is best.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by juggalo280ZX
Hey J, I'm completely lost, how did we start talking about tires, I was still on stereo's and exhaust, and alarms, did I miss something?
He said he already had all that stuff. He wanted to know what to do next. So I recommended wheels and tires. Hope that clears it up. >
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM

You could get one of those flame throwing alarms they have over in Europe Just don't let your kids with 20ft of the car.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
You could get one of those flame throwing alarms they have over in Europe Just don't let your kids with 20ft of the car.
JUst park the car in a chiken farm, and ya got yourself a BBQ!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:28 PM

As far as wheels and tires go you can always get the 5 lug adapter and it opens you to a whole new world of wheels.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM

oh well my car is an automatic.. no manual turbo in 81..(DAMMIT) thats why my dad rigged it that way.. he said otheriwse he woulda done the pump.. no gas, no go.. and well i live in a pretty upscale neighborhood.. crime isnt really an issue round here.. but if im in the city.. it gets flipped every time.. my car isnt exactly the prettiest theft target either.. to a common thief.. the crappy looking car that "probably" dont go fast or the car next to it that has much more "capabilty".. mine most likely wouldnt get picked..

Last edited by assimilated420; 06-07-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:38 PM

oh and in response.. the question is what do you want first.. performance? or comfort? go with the exhaust if you want some performance increase.. stock exhaust with a high flow cat and standard flowmaster will give you pretty good results.. unless you dont have nasty emissins standards and then i say run the exhaust straight back no cat or muffler.. if you want comfort.. get an alarm first.. a stereo dont mean too much if you cant protect it.. and id have a custom airhorn alarm(very loud ) and a bullhorn saying "STEP AWAY FROM THE Z".. and then id look into a kenwood audio system.. kinda up in the prices but they get great sound
Old 06-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by assimilated420
oh and in response.. the question is what do you want first.. performance? or comfort? go with the exhaust if you want some performance increase.. stock exhaust with a high flow cat and standard flowmaster will give you pretty good results.. unless you dont have nasty emissins standards and then i say run the exhaust straight back no cat or muffler.. if you want comfort.. get an alarm first.. a stereo dont mean too much if you cant protect it.. and id have a custom airhorn alarm(very loud ) and a bullhorn saying "STEP AWAY FROM THE Z".. and then id look into a kenwood audio system.. kinda up in the prices but they get great sound
Haha assimilated420 he already has that stuff, he wants to know wut to do now since all that is already done.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:58 PM

i suggest we let her breath intake i got one of ebay for $15 and some 26" geovana's shaq feet ya