280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the fuse for the fuel pump, 1983 280zx?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:15 PM

Question where is the fuse for the fuel pump, 1983 280zx?

i need to know if there is a fuse for the fuel pump and if so where is it located. i checked the fuse panel and the fuse links and didnt find it. i didnt know if one of the relays was conected to the fuel pump or not. ohh how do you check to see if a relay is bad? thanks for the help
Old 05-20-2006, 07:45 PM

The fuse pump uses a fuse link. It's the WB wire from the fuse links, but I'm not sure which color the actual link is. This link also powers the ignition switch.

To test a relay you'll want to supply power to its two coil inputs and it should click. Then with the relay powered check for continuity between the common and output terminals. If that didn't make sense Ive got a diagram I can dig up.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:02 PM

so if all the fuse links look fine it is probably the fuel pump? my dad told me to streight wire the fuel pump to check it so i will try that when i get a chance
Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 PM

There is a relay under the dash on 82-83 i know for sure. Look on wheel well on passenger side. There is a metal cover with a screw holding it in place. Remove the screw and behind the panel is a relay. Replace this relay if it is bad. I learned this the hard way. I plugged in a new pump, replaced the ignition switch etc, took about 2 hours, but nothing. I called a mechanic and he told me about the relay in the wheel well. It took literally 2 minutes to remove panel and pull relay from parts car and put it in driver. Problem solved in 2 minutes, 2 hours wasted pulling fuel pump and ignition switch. Hope that does it for you.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:44 AM

That relay is under the hood, not the dash. Sorry! I waited too long to change the wording from dash to hood. The cover by the wheel well, on the fender well area may be plastic on some cars.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:41 AM

since the air regulator is on the same circuit, you can check whether you're getting power out of the relay by checking for power at the regulator heater circuit.

You should check all connectors on the line to the pump for having been heated from a bad connection as well.

Now the ecu exclusively controls the fuel pump on this year unlike earlier years of the same car that used up to 3 fuel pump relays connected to the alternator and oil pressure switch.

This makes it easier but now you have to give the ecu what it wants to see necessary for fuel pump actuation. If the ecu is not awake, it will never power up the fuel pump.

If you get the initial prime power to the pump, and the car still doesn't actuate the pump when cranking, then I would check to see whether the ecu sees the distributor signal which is what it looks for in order to actuate the pump beyond the initial prime.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by 3XAZOWNER
That relay is under the hood, not the dash. Sorry! I waited too long to change the wording from dash to hood. The cover by the wheel well, on the fender well area may be plastic on some cars.
are you talking about the plate behind the battery?
I know for sure there is a fuel pump relay behind the glovebox under the dash. It clicks every time I turn my car on ('82) and if it is unplugged then the fuel pump does not come on.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 AM

I had a similar problem with my ECU not sending power to the fuel pump relay. I bypassed the ECU and connected the relay directly to the Ignition Switch and now the car starts and runs fine. I couldn't find any problem other then the ECU was not allowing power to the pump so thats when I decided to bypass it.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
are you talking about the plate behind the battery?
I know for sure there is a fuel pump relay behind the glovebox under the dash. It clicks every time I turn my car on ('82) and if it is unplugged then the fuel pump does not come on.
It is the plate on the fender on the passenger side. Once you remove the cover, you can pull out the wire with the relay. I had changed pumps and ignition switch before swapping out this relay under the hood. It has been a year since i swapped it out of my parts car, but i know it was on the passenger side, under the hood. Yes we are probably talking about the same plate.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 AM

^That is the Main EFI relay. The relay Bleach refered to is the actual Fuel Pump Relay. I relocated my Fuel Pump Relay to the rear of the car near the strut tower.