280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will This Work For My Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:12 PM

Will This Work For My Turbo?

Greddy Turbo Boost Safety Relief Valve

Quantity in Basket: None
Code: 10-2131
Price: $129.95

Weight: 2.00 pounds

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...ry_Code=PTC02D

WILL THIS POP OFF VALVE BE A DIRECT BOLT-ON IN PLACE OF MY STOCK POP OFF VALVE 1982 TURBO 280ZX IN THE STOCK POV LOCATION?

THANKS FOR THE HELP...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:25 PM
The Good Twin

yep... it will work
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Bleach is my Hero

WOW I never saw that before .. Wierd
Old 10-27-2005, 12:25 PM
The Good Twin

I like to call it the "oh ****, I forgot to put a good wastegate on my turbo setup" part. I've seen plenty of L28ET's that the builder took out completely the emergency release valve (capped, or if using the N42 intake). Other people say "anyone that takes that out is an idiot asking for a disaster."

To each their own opinion.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 AM

If you put a BOV in you can take the POV out and you're not asking for any trouble. I'd go with the BOV and just cap the POV personally. The POV doesn't provide any protection for the compressor since its aft of the TB. A BOV will provide this protection as well as handle the limited duties of the POV. But capping off the POV without installing a BOV is definitely asking for trouble, especially if you start raising boost.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
If you put a BOV in you can take the POV out and you're not asking for any trouble. I'd go with the BOV and just cap the POV personally. The POV doesn't provide any protection for the compressor since its aft of the TB. A BOV will provide this protection as well as handle the limited duties of the POV. But capping off the POV without installing a BOV is definitely asking for trouble, especially if you start raising boost.
The BOV & POV have different functions tho... The POV is to release boost pressure above ~8psi @ full throttle (IF the wastegate fails). The BOV is to release boosted air when letting off the throttle, so the boosted air doesn't reverse the compressor which would create more lag on the next acceleration.

Just to clarify
Old 10-28-2005, 10:39 AM
The Evil Twin

...and the BOV is usually set at a higher pressure because it is waiting for the spike in pressure when you close the throttle. Ideally, you want the POV set at a lower setting so you would never get the pressure in the intake manifold that would cause the BOV to release.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
...and the BOV is usually set at a higher pressure because it is waiting for the spike in pressure when you close the throttle. Ideally, you want the POV set at a lower setting so you would never get the pressure in the intake manifold that would cause the BOV to release.
Which is exactly why you don't need both.

And just a little bit more info on BOV's. If boost is high enough and you take your foot off the gas (even with a POV) the turbo takes time to spool down. So it's still making pressure even though foots off the gas. Well for that second or so that the throttle's closed and the compressor is still pumping that air pressure is going to slam against the Throttle plate and shoot right back toward the compressor. Which over time (or immediately with enough pressure) the turbo will fail because of this. So the POV wouldn't even affect this.

And like I said before, the BOV can serve ALL the duties of the POV. Even venting excess pressure at WOT if it gets high enough. With a POV boost is effectively limited and if you want infinite adjustability of boost then it's gotta be tossed and a BOV installed. Of course on a street vehicle high boost levels aren't always practical. But instead of buying a POV, that money could be put toward a BOV that you'll NEED when boost starts getting higher. And higher boost is the reason for wanting to upgrade the POV in the first place right? So why waste money on both? Just cap off the POV and get a BOV. If you're running stock boost then it's not neccesary to remove or modify the POV.

Oh and just to clarify, the POV and BOV do the same thing, Vent air pressure. They just do it for different reasons
Old 10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
The Good Twin

Oh and just to clarify, the POV and BOV do the same thing, Vent air pressure. They just do it for different reasons
Yes, they both bleed off the air, but they do it in different conditions.... A BOV requires vacuum from the manifold to work correctly, where as the POV doesn't.

To have a BOV act as a POV, you would have to disconnect the vacuum, but then it wouldn't function correctly as a BOV. To make a BOV open w/ no vacuum, it takes quite a bit of + boost pressure, like 20+ psi for most stocker BOV's. As the idea of a POV is to stop your car from overboosting, at 20psi, it'd already be toasted (a mostly stock engine anyway).

I do agree tho, that ya just don't need the POV if you are going to mod the L28ET.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:24 PM

Well if you want to get really technical then a BOV is a POV. They're just two different kinds of dump valves, or by-pass valve if you prefer. See there are two kinds. One is the kind that requires a pressure differential. This is how the typical "BOV" works as described above by nismo. It's held closed by a spring. Pressure pusing on the bottom of a diaphram tries to push the spring open but pressure above the spring is equal to the pressure below so the spring does not open (unless pressure gets way too high). When the throttle closes the manifold goes into vacumm which causes it to suck up on the spring in the BOV which is what gets it open. Of course without the the pressure underneath or the manifold above it won't open. You have to have BOTH. Not just pressure and not just vacuum. The second type simply relies on a spring to hold it closed and that spring holds enough tension to hold off a predetermined amount of pressure. If the pressure becomes too great the spring is over loaded and the POV begins to open. This would be what is typically refered to as the OEM POV on the turbo ZX.

Technically though they are just two different versions of the same part. THere are push type clutches and there are pull type clutches (yes I'm talking about the drivetrain clutch). They work in different ways but both are still just clutches. A BOV and a POV are both just dump valves. THey just work in different ways.

And I gotta know: Was there REALLY a C-3PO cereal?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 PM

And I gotta know: Was there REALLY a C-3PO cereal?
Yes. Now, if I can just find the box ... it's stored here somewhere ...
Old 10-29-2005, 10:00 AM
The Good Twin

Well if you want to get really technical then a BOV is a POV. They're just two different kinds of dump valves, or by-pass valve if you prefer. See there are two kinds. One is the kind that requires a pressure differential. This is how the typical "BOV" works as described above by nismo. It's held closed by a spring. Pressure pusing on the bottom of a diaphram tries to push the spring open but pressure above the spring is equal to the pressure below so the spring does not open (unless pressure gets way too high). When the throttle closes the manifold goes into vacumm which causes it to suck up on the spring in the BOV which is what gets it open. Of course without the the pressure underneath or the manifold above it won't open. You have to have BOTH. Not just pressure and not just vacuum. The second type simply relies on a spring to hold it closed and that spring holds enough tension to hold off a predetermined amount of pressure. If the pressure becomes too great the spring is over loaded and the POV begins to open. This would be what is typically refered to as the OEM POV on the turbo ZX.

Technically though they are just two different versions of the same part. THere are push type clutches and there are pull type clutches (yes I'm talking about the drivetrain clutch). They work in different ways but both are still just clutches. A BOV and a POV are both just dump valves. THey just work in different ways.
Now that should be the STICKY for anyone that asks about BOV's!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:19 PM

And you know everyone who puts a blow off valve on their car is only doing it for the 'whoosh'. Other wise they would recirculate it the way it's supposed to be on a AFM'd engine But then you wouldn't get the whoosh. Now how many cars have you seen that actually have the air recirculated as opposed to vented to atmosphere? Exactly
Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
The Evil Twin

You get the woosh but its quite a bit more muffled and a lower tone.
I'm gonna recirculate mine when I get the intercooler system installed.