280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wtf!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:04 PM

Thumbs down Wtf!!!!!!

SO my brother was driving my z to get some new tires put on and half way to the shop the car shut down and would not restart. He checked the gas line and there was fuel but he did not have spark. so we thought it was the coil, so I went to buy a new one and they appearently are a order item only so I just purchased an accel super stock two post ignition coil, installed it and the car started right up and ran smoother then ever. Everything seemed fine so I left my car with my brother, to bring home after getting tires put on. On his way home the car started to chug and begin to stall and blew out a butt load of white smoke that smelled like coolant and now it sounds like it has no compression. He said that he watched the temp the whole time he was driving on the stock gauge and it stayed just above the second line from the bottom and he swears that he was not beating on the car. My guess is the head gasket went but it does not have milky oil or seem like there is any water in it. Any thoughts would be appriciated. And possibly the timing chain snapped was another thought I had, do not know if that is likely on these cars. But could be possible and the top end would not rotate with the bottom end and some vavles would be left open causing no compression. THANX!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

The timing chain didn't snap, but it might be stretched beyond it's optimal current position on the cam sprocket.

It actually sounds like your ignition module has gone to it's grave.

Get a compression tester and make sure your running close to the same compression across all 6 cylinders.

If you are, the head gasket should be ok...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:01 PM

What do you mean by ignition module? DO you think that coil was to much power?

Last edited by datsunl28et; 07-18-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:35 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by datsunl28et
What do you mean by ignition module? DO you think that coil was to much power?
No, it's not possible for a coil to have too much power.

The ignition module is the little black box on the side of your distributor.

Due to heat related stress, they will occasionally fail.

Unfortunately, they're not cheap, but you can get a Beck Arnley rebuild for about $89 from Kragen or Parts America.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Control%20Unit
Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

If the timing chain is stretched, it might have put your timing off enough to detonate and blow your head gasket...

It really sounds like your ignition module.

If you have a meter and a Haynes or Factory Service Manual, you can test it pretty easily to make sure it's actually bad before you spend the money on a new one.

Anyone else care to speculate?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Doesn't post much...

I'm with lww on this one... Ignition module id the most likely culprit.

Rod.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 PM

Well she fired up today after about 15 minutes of cranking it. Its not running perfect but runnin. I thought the mass air might be messed up, so I unplugged it and the car ran the same with it unplugged so... I guess that is part of the problem. What was that web site that sold used mass air or afm what ever that that piece of junk is called? I think it has fouled plugs as well so I will change those and the compression is good I think. What psi is it suppose to be at for the compression? And how do you get the light to blink codes on the ecm? Thanx for the support?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Taste My Rainbow

First Try The Afm Rebuild, Its A Sticky...