280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 AM

dude man. holy ****. toggle switch. wire. and a two prong plug from a old harness. wired to battery. bam. blower runs. i've done it for two winters now.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

find out where its coming from
i live by williams gateway airport.
but i work at homo depot on power and the 60 if thats closer
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by rtmorgan
find out where its coming from
i live by williams gateway airport.
but i work at homo depot on power and the 60 if thats closer
Hey sorry for the late response. But thanks man. Anyway I already got the seal and socket. Going to tackle it tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey everybody....I decided to fix the front seal. I got it last night at Checker. The only one in the valley that had it in stock. And I got the 27mm socket also. I am tired of putting $15 or more a week in oil in my car. I am going to mess with it tomorrow afternoon sometime. The hardest parts will be...removing the fan. And getting the harmonic balancer and dampener off. Wish me luck...and I'll let you all know how it went.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:46 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
dude man. holy ****. toggle switch. wire. and a two prong plug from a old harness. wired to battery. bam. blower runs. i've done it for two winters now.
It sounds interesting. Could you tell me where the wire is..so I can hook up the blower fan to all that? Let me know..much appreciated man.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay...I have a question about my windows. I noticed after swapping out the doors from my '81. The windows have a gap. And air comes right through. Not only that..but also when it rains. The water seeps through that gap. Which gets my seats..and my head wet. lol Plus the fact...it gets colder in my car at night. Because of the winter time. Because the windows are not flush with the weather stripping. Is there anyway...I can adjust them to be more flush? Any insight or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh....and yes they are power windows. In case that makes any difference.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Also...I decided to fix the front seal next week. I will be off Christmas Eve night till the 29th. So I will utilize that time to work on and fix my car up more. Besides....My girlfriend and I. Are celebrating our 3 month anniversary tonight. So I will just get some good sleep today. And tackle my car next week after Christmas.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Is there anyway...I can adjust them to be more flush? Any insight or tips would be much appreciated.
Where's the gap? Top? Front? Back? There's a stopper tab for height adjustment. And you should also be able to adjust front & back locations.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Wow, was looking at the latest pics of your car, and it looks cool! What`s the symbol thats right above the Logo on the hood?

Nice looking car man.

I deffo feel with ya on the money thing, its the only thing thats keeping me from buying a `82 ZX right now.
I could take up loan, but these times are VERY uncertain, from the economic viewpoints, so I`ll just rather save the money, I figured I`d save for the car, and 1000 or 2000 bucks extra for things that might have to be done right away just in case. If theres one thing I learned about money, it`s: Always stay on the + side!

RvH
Old 12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Where's the gap? Top? Front? Back? There's a stopper tab for height adjustment. And you should also be able to adjust front & back locations.
The gap is on the rear of the windows. And the top. I can push them a little inward. So I know there is some give. That is why I think I can adjust them somehow. Thanks...I'll investigate it more. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Big Poppa

yes you can adjust how the windows are set. there is a stop for the front and rear of the window that adjusts height. you can also adjust the track to make it tilt towards the car a bit. adjust the height first, then to the tilt, but not too much on either, you can break a window that way. you may want to take the door latch off the car body to allow it to close without having to swing the door hard. also hows the new door line up on the car??? that affects how the window seals.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SHADY280
yes you can adjust how the windows are set. there is a stop for the front and rear of the window that adjusts height. you can also adjust the track to make it tilt towards the car a bit. adjust the height first, then to the tilt, but not too much on either, you can break a window that way. you may want to take the door latch off the car body to allow it to close without having to swing the door hard. also hows the new door line up on the car??? that affects how the window seals.
Sorry for the late response. But sounds good man. I will tackle it after my front seal. Going out there now to do both. Wish me luck everybody. And I'll let you know how it went.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Front seal is replaced. And I am running the car to make sure it is seated properly. It has been running for about 5 minutes or so. And no leaks. So I will put some Lucas stop leak for my blow by. And then proceed with adjusting my windows. Thanks everybody for the tips and help. It took me about an hour or so. Of course I took my time. The hardest thing....was getting the old seal out. After that...pretty easy..heh heh
Old 12-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Wooo! Ah it feels good to fix something like that
Old 12-28-2008, 01:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
Wooo! Ah it feels good to fix something like that
Yes it does. My oil pressure is higher than it has been. Even at idle it is more than halfway with pressure. Amazing....I am so glad I replaced that seal. Now I have a real good dependable Z. To drive everyday. So now I can concentrate on getting my finances straightened out. And then after that...work on my slicktop.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Über User

FINALLY!!!!!! lol thank you for replacing that seal i hope thats the end of your problems... wasnt so bad either was it yah baby? haha
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I checked the oil the other day. And it was still less than a quart low. Although it changed some...it has considerably slowed down. I got to thinking where my other leak might possibly be. I remember one of my valve cover bolts. Is stripped out...so I can't tighten the one corner bolt. I believe if I put a new gasket...and goop the threads and bolt. That it maybe either will slow it down. Or stop it completely...not sure on that one. Anyway the car...has gained some lost compression. Because I can feel a difference. Still getting 20-21mpg. Mostly freeway driving...and me driving it hard of course. I really don't think I can get any better than that. So I am satisfied for now.

Today...I plan on rewiring my speakers..and relocating them in my car. So I have more of a surround sound. I am going to use connectors and such. And get rid of the electrical tape for the most part. Rerun the wiring to a more clean and organized position. So I will take off the rear deck carpet and such. And do all to my satisfaction. Will be a relaxing vacation..compared to other things that annoy. lol
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the project...Turbo Bluestreak. Is yet again on a long hold. I am in danger of losing my place of residence. So I am going to do something. I really did not want to do. I am going to start liquidating my Transformers collection. As you know...I am with my future wife. And would love to be able to show my collection. And possibly give to my kids. It saddens me....that I have to do this. I also am going to go through alot of my collectibles and such. And see what I can sell. I wanted to put my Firebird back on the market. But after seeing my dad. Tear completely apart a '77 Trans Am. Which he is restoring from the frame up. To beautiful showroom condition. I am torn on selling my baby. It has motivated me. To part with many of my toys. And concentrate on my big ones. (cars) But I need over 2k by the end of March. Time is running out for me. I do have faith...that things will turn around. But I still worry and such.

Pray for me everybody. I do hope I have a better year than the last. I also hope that everybody else. Has a good and prosperous New Year.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:46 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay...wow, been a while since I updated on this thread. But I like to keep it alive. heh heh Anyway spent yesterday, changing out my rear springs. Because I was getting uneven tire wear. And I can't afford new tires right now. Well, all I can say is..I learned something new. I was running with Tokico springs with Gabriel struts. Which I found is a bad idea. The car doesn't sit right. And bounces around too much. So I decided yesterday, to put the stock springs back on the car. With my Gabriel struts, which are pretty much stock replacement kind. Anyway wow, what a difference in how it rides. It is like, night and day. He also corners pretty nice. So I am pretty happy with that. Also I wanted to add. That the stock springs are much longer than the aftermarket ones. It took me quite a bit of compressing to get the struts installed on them. lol Anyway, it is sitting just a little higher in the back. But it looks great, and rides almost like a new car. So I am quite satisfied, and pleased with the results.

Next...hmm. Well, I am planning to put an aftermarket fuel regulator on. And see if that will help my fuel dumping problem when cold. Also I am going to hook up a couple more speakers that I had in my dash. And put them behind my seats, in the stock speaker locations. That is really all for now. More to come soon.

Last edited by WildmaN; 05-10-2009 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Wanted to add another bit of information
Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Über User

how long was it ran for like that? good chance you blew those struts already. gabriel's BLOW and then with lowered springs they typically fail very quickly.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:52 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
how long was it ran for like that? good chance you blew those struts already. gabriel's BLOW and then with lowered springs they typically fail very quickly.
Not real long. And I think Gabriel's are great. The ride is much improved. And will do, until I get my slicktop running. It is such a huge difference compared to how it was riding. The Tokico's are much shorter than the stock springs. (Macphersons I think) And they just don't work well with taller struts. Anyway all good there. Now I still need to take care of my richness issue. Mainly when cold. And try to solve my oil leak problem I still have.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well....another little update on my Z. I have been having problems with richness. Pretty much the entire time. I have had it running. Well I decided to, put an old AFM back on. And lean it out more. It has made a difference in driveability, and fuel mileage. I went from 19 to 23 mpg. Quite a difference. I just adjusted 3 more teeth clockwise tonight. To run it a little leaner. I don't think I can do anymore. Will post, after another week or so. When I fill it again.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Still staying at 22-23mpg. So I am satisfied with that now.

Anyway I have been having problems with my taillights not working. Which result in my reverse lights taking all the juice from that circuit. I have concluded that, I have either a short, or the two wires are touching each other in where? The dash of course...lol So I get to take apart my dashboard. And tediously fix the bad wires. I have all the stuff I need. Just need to go out there in the 100 plus degree heat, and work on it. lol

I have also been having problems with my clutch sticking. Certain times, after I start it in neutral. I can't get it back in gear, while depressing the clutch a few times. And while wiggling the shifter. I am kind of puzzled as to the cause. I thought maybe my slave was going out. But I don't think that is it. Because it shifts and goes into gear fine, most of the time. There are just the few times, that it doesn't, and I have to play with it to engage in gear. I am thinking maybe the throwout bearing is bad. What do you all think? Please leave me your feedback, would be much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
This facepalm's for you!

if you get the chance when its sticking, have someone push the clutch in and watch the slave to see if its working.
just to double check.

are your clutch lines totaly bled?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by skib
if you get the chance when its sticking, have someone push the clutch in and watch the slave to see if its working.
just to double check.

are your clutch lines totaly bled?
Yeah, I will probably just change out the slave, since I have a new one. And bleed everything after that. Then if it still does it. I know it is internal, and will have to live with it. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion