1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Doesn't post much...

Nice! Go WildmaN go!!!!!

Rod.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got my fuel pump changed out. Turns out, the line was leaking, and not the pump. Doh! And man was it a PITA to get the rear bumper off. Because it was hit in the right rear before I got it. Anyway I also found out how great gasoline feels on my arms, and shoulders. OWWWWWWWW, is all I can say, kind of like a friggin' sunburn. My skin is totally red, like I stood out in the sun. The reason it happened was because, when you take off the bottom fuel line, from the pump. It will pour out fuel, unless you plug it off. Or put the line back on quickly. So in turn the fuel ran down my arms, soaked my shirt, back and shoulders. And I felt like I was on fire. Okay I am finished now, just ranting. But it did really friggin' hurt, and that isn't no lie.

Anyway probably tomorrow, I will get my front bumper off also. And run around for a while with no front and rear bumpers. I am just sick of looking at them lopsided and crooked. I know it is going to take a lot of bodywork, to get it straight again. All part of the great fun of restoring a car. So I will let you all know, what happens as I go. At least I don't have a fuel leak now LOL.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay another change on my Z. I took the rear bumper off my '81 today. And mounted it on my '82. Man I am really digging that chrome bumper. I think I am going to call the wrecking yard tomorrow. And see if they still have the front '81 chrome, and black bumper. Then I figured if I paint the black part blue, that would look killer.

One of the other reasons, I switched bumpers. Was the fact the original one on my '82, was damaged. And was hard to get to the bolts to take it off. And I also cheated, and let out the air or gas. Whatever is in the bumper shocks, so I can make the back look like it wasn't hit. And now it looks more even than before. And I am quite happy about it. Yes I know it defeats the purpose of having the bumper. But at least it looks better, and I don't have to run around without one. I did for a couple of days, and really don't like it much. Sorry no pics yet, will take some tomorrow. Ran out of daylight, and I am finished for the day. Will update this thread often.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Keep it comin' brutha!
Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks man, and I just tried to take a couple of pics tonight. But to no avail it is too dark out. And the pics are hard to see, so I will definately take some in the daylight tomorrow. And maybe with my front bumper, if the junkyard still has it.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay as promised here are some recent pics of my '81 chrome bumper installed. I am really liking the chrome. And I called the junkyard today. They still have the '81 280zx. So tomorrow, I am getting the front bumper off of it. And unfortunately, it is getting crushed soon. Anyway here is the pics, and more will follow possilbly tomorrow, after I get the front bumper. Also if you look in the pics. You will see my baby, my '75 Firebird. Just sitting there, catching everything. Enjoy

Old 07-18-2006, 04:32 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I am going to the wrecking yard later today. After I get up, and take my current front bumper off. And maybe I will see what other parts I can get off this soon to be crushed ZX. Man what a bummer, another Z is going to sportscar heaven soon. SIGH!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got the front bumper today. And also grabbed a charcoal cannister. Total was $123, for the bumper, cover, and cannister. And they were out of a '81 2 + 2. So I told them no big loss, and they are crushing it, within a couple of days. And the fact it was also a slicktop, which to me is more ugly on a 2 + 2. Anyway some of the chrome has got some black overspray on it. And a couple of dings too. But hopefully I can get the chrome to come back. And then paint the rubber cover. Pics will follow soon, it is on my Z. But I am too hot, and tired. And I need to get ready for work.

I also need a turn signal lense for '79-'81 front bumper. If anybody has one, let me know, mine is currently cracked. And the one on the '82 is a different shape.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well let's see, tomorrow, I have some plans for my Z. I am going to see, if I can use good old sledge, and get my front end straighter. So my bumper looks more even. And also see about getting the chrome to come back. Maybe even painting the black part of the bumpers. A different kind of color scheme. Not sure what yet, and there are other little things to do here and there. More pics will follow soon, and feel free to post your comments.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Do Blue With Silver Stripes.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I was going to do a blue silver combination. And I think I have it figured out, what I want to do. As soon as they are painted, and remounted. Pics will follow soon after. Thanks for the thought, SKittle.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay started on doing my front bumper. I think I have decided on how I am doing the blue and silver scheme on the bumpers. Will show pics, when I get done with one of them. Anyway I painted the black part metallic silver. And it is turning out pretty good. Still need to finish covering up the black yet. And the chrome on the bumpers, I found out is a plating that screws onto the black metal bumper. Weird, and I never knew that before. Oh well you live and learn. More to follow soon.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I recently bought that fuel pressure regulator Black was linking us to in Bleach's thread. I can't wait to get it, and then I will start getting my JSK rail sanded down, and chrome polished. I need to do my wheel bolts here soon. I have 3 of them to replace. One on each of 3 wheels. There is only 1 wheel that has all 4 still on there. Anyway fun times in store for me. And I still need to figure out my oil leak. Can't seem to pinpoint it yet.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here is the link to the fuel pressure regulator. Stoked, and can't wait to get it, and check it out. I also might need some help in installing it in my Z.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Old 08-05-2006, 03:11 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I got the adjusting fuel pressure regulator the other day. Now I am motivated to strip all the paint off the JSK rail. And get it polished chrome, and repaint the barbed fittings and such. And not too long ago, Black posted a pic of under his hood. And I have tried to find that pic to no avail. It had his setup, so I could just look it over, and set mine like his. Basically where the regulator, and fuel rail goes, and is placed. So if anybody has pics of his setup, I would appreciate you sending them to me via e-mail, or PM.

Yesterday, I changed out 2 wheel studs, and I am paying for it right now. I took off the back wheels, the calipers, and the rotors. And used mister sledge hammer to knock out the old ones. Then put the new studs from the back, and used a regular nut, and wrench to pull it forward. Still going to keep my eye on the new studs. And keep making sure they are tight, and such. Until they finally break in, and settle where they need to be. I don't have the special tools, or whatever to do it the correct way. BUt I know it works the same. Because I replaced them on my '81 before. Not too hard of a job, but I pulled my arm out of whack. And it hurt for a while anyway. All in all, I have NISSAN wheel locks with actual keys, one on each wheel now. I got them off e-bay some time ago for $25 or so brand new and never used. I have 1 more stud to replace on the front wheel yet. Just was too tired, to change it out. I will do it next time. And for some useful info, the wheel studs on our Z's are 12 x 1.25 for the size, just in case you run into the problem I had.

I got my front bumper painted and such, and got tired last night, trying to mount it back onto my car. I will try and get it mounted tonight, and take some pics. But not sure yet, we will see. And then I will proceed on getting the rear bumper off, and painting the black cover on it also. I was pretty happy with how the front one turned out. Minus the defects in the chrome part of it. Oh well I will figure out something, it looks pretty good now.

Anyway that should get all of you updated on my continuing Z project. I really can't wait to get that '83 soon. And start working on that to get it running. Well we will see I guess. And feel free to post and comment on this thread. It is all of you that keep me going.

Last edited by WildmaN; 08-05-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

More things, I am doing to my Z this weekend. I am getting my rust, and paint stripper on my electric drill. And getting the bubbles out, and smoothed. So I can paint the windshield cowl panel, metallic silver. I am also painting the cowl panel metallic cobalt blue. Then I am taking off the taillights, finish sanding between them, and getting the remaining blue flakes off. And I am painting all that metallic silver. After that, I am taking the taillights off of my '81. Put the current '82 lights, back on the '81. And mounting the '81 taillights, on my '82. I have always liked the older style ZX taillights, and I have contemplated for quite some time, on putting them on my '82. Well my mind is made up.

Also, if I get around to it, I am getting my bondo resin jelly, and covering the holes in my hatch, where the louvers were. And also the holes on the sides of my Z. Where the gawdy trim was just below the top of the doors. I also recently won the black trim for the whole car. And I will mount the one fender corner piece. And then paint the black trim that runs along the bottom of the doors, metallic silver. So having the bumpers silver, and then the trim, the silver will wrap around the whole car. And it will look like a silver band wrapping all the way around. Should look pretty sweet, and pics will follow, all of the things, I have typed out.

Well that should get all of you up to date. I will also run a wire through my firewall, and directly to my battery. So I can have a memory wire for my cd changer, that way I don't have to reset it every time. I shut the car off, and later when I restart it again. All in all, I know not many people respond in this thread. But I figure using this, saves space, and feel free to comment. I love to hear what all of you have to say. And I will keep all of you posted, and in current.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Doesn't post much...

Keep plugging away WildmaN, You're doing an awesome job

Can't wiat to see new pictures of the progress.

Rod.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks Rod, appreciate it. Anyway got some things done, that I wanted to on my Z today. Still rough, but I am happy so far. I painted metallic silver between the taillights, and my vision was close to the actual completion. Also I used a rust paint stripper, on my electric drill. And got a lot of the rust bubbles out. Still have more to go, I figured I would get to them, when I am ready to replace the windshield. It is really bad on the roof of the car, just above the windshield. Oh well, I stripped it the best I could, and used my cobalt metallic blue, where I took the rust and paint off. It looks allright for now. I also painted the cowl panel below the windshield, metallic silver, after I stripped what rust I could. It looks okay for now, just experimenting as I go. It is not a permanent process yet. I also painted my cowl vent panel, metallic cobalt blue, and it looks friggin' tight. And of course I installed my '81's taillights, and it is starting to bring back memories to me. Verry nostalgic looking, and I think I am looking at my '81, even though it is my '82. Pretty soon, you wont be able to tell by looking at him, that he is an '82. But I am cloning him into an '81 Turbo, that was my plan from the beginning.

Anyway that is all for now, sorry no pics, I ran out of daylight, you will have some pics to look at tomorrow, I promise, stay tuned.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Did a little more updating in my project list. Just to keep this thread going.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
hey--first, make it run. then, make it safe. then, make any mods. that way, you can enjoy as you go. some list-- i do that EVERY time i get another car--i now have long lists for 7 cars. keep it simple, enjoy as you go, so you can USE the car instead of look at it and WISH it were running.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by z-hag
hey--first, make it run. then, make it safe. then, make any mods. that way, you can enjoy as you go. some list-- i do that EVERY time i get another car--i now have long lists for 7 cars. keep it simple, enjoy as you go, so you can USE the car instead of look at it and WISH it were running.
As it has been since February this year. My '82 has been my daily driver, I just keep on updating this list when I can. My Z is verry much alive, and quite dependable. And I have enjoyed, and learned a great deal, since I started this project. Back in 2005, lots of trials, and obstacles, but overall I have come through. Thanks for the comment nonetheless.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:30 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright big future plans for my '82. When I do get the '83 running, and tagged. I am putting my '82 down, but not completely. Want to keep him around for an extra car. But after I pay my parents off, and such. And take care of some things with me. Going to strip my '82 all the way down to the bottom. And slowly build him back up with the turbo swap, and such. That is what I have decided to do. Because I want my Bluestreak to be absolute show-quality. From every part of the car, and use the '83 as the daily driver. And of course the '81 will get decked out at the end somewhere. But that is down the road quite a ways.

All aside, I also think this coming weekend. I am installing my JSK fuel rail, after I sand it down to a polished finish. And then install my adjustable fuel regulator, I got on e-bay a while back. I also want to get a decent timing light, and check my timing again. And get a air/fuel ratio gauge, to get that right. I am tired of smelling like exhaust, everytime I drive my Z. Anyway that is all for now. Will keep all of you updated, as I do more.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well it has been a while since I last posted anything new. Here it is: I just recently bondoed the holes in my rear hatch, and where the sidetrim was on the car. Still need to fill another couple small holes with more bondo. Because I had to put a lot in those big holes, where there were louvers in the past. Well after seeing the bare metal showing through. And knowing I can't match the blue paint cheaply. Or within my budget, I have decided to sand down, and primer gray my body, and flat black my hood. My Z will look better, and hide the imperfections. Until I get around to getting a air compressor, and a sprayer, to do my own painting.

I have been torn on making this tough decision, knowing my Z, will not be blue for a while. And not look like I have planned until later. At least he will look like the cartoon version, close, minus the gray instead of silver. Well that is all for now, feel free to comment if you like. And I will post pics, after I slowly primer my whole Z.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Doesn't post much...

You'll get there WildmaN, just keep pluggin' away!

Rod.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Yeah Another Primer Grey Z To Join The Brotherhood!!!

Last edited by skittle; 12-27-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion