280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM

It is an exciting adventure from A to Z(X) completed. I seem to be almost there.

Still need to:
1. put new carpet in drivers side floor.

2. dash cap for dash.

3. in-car sensor for auto climate control.

4. KYB struts and eibach springs.

5. Decide what to do about radio. A buddy offered me a free Alpine cd player that will work with the radio through a fm modulator setup, but i have to get my radio reworked first. It is losing the channel memory and spinning through channels each time it is turned back on. He had his 300zx radio reworked for $150, tape deck and all work like new. But my question is - do the CD's sound good when played through the modulator or should i go with the tape deck cd adapter? I would chunk this whole idea but i want to keep the interior looking as stock as possible. The only interior mod i have is the padded arm rest with drink holders.

This project started with a car purchase in Sept '04 and finally about to wrap it up in now Jan '07, but with a different car, previous one was totalled. (but is it really ever finished?) I know that others adventures have gone on a lot longer and been more extensive than mine, but that's why they say "ENJOY THE RIDE", because restoring a Z is A "rollercoaster" RIDE of highs and lows.
"SO ENJOY THE RIDE" WildmaN
Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Taste My Rainbow

we still wnat pics of the new paint!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM

I finished the carpet tonight and plan on washing and taking pics tomorrow, once it gets above 32 degrees. I'de hate for the soap to freeze on the paint or my hand... lol ! Pics coming soon.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 AM
From NY to AZ

Check out this link from HybridZ. Some guys have been painting their cars with roll on rustolium paint and gettin professional-like results. Sounds like the perfect option for you Wildman.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117199
Old 12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow that is unbelievable man. Thanks for the post, I may think of trying that, after my bodywork is done. I know that my turbo swap will come before the bodywork and paint. Well at least before the final paintjob. I know that the primer, will hide a lot of the imperfections, in the body. Now that I have baremetal showing. I need to cover that up before the next rain. Of course that is not common here. But it did rain last night off and on. Well anyway I know my Z will look better primered, than the way he is currently. Because of the bondo work I have done. Covering up holes in the hatch, and the sides of the car.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:18 PM
From NY to AZ

Yeah man i'm amazed with the quality of the paint as well. I'm seriously considering doing that with my car over the summer.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:53 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well folks, the primering has begun. I sanded the black crap that my bottom trim left behind. I primered my door and part of my fender for now. Ran out of the can of paint I had, and it was getting cold for me. Yes it does get cold here in the desert. LOL Anyway I have already bondoed most of the holes I needed to cover. Still need to cover the hole left by the keyhole for the alarm, or whatever that was. A little bigger than a penny, and I think it was from the dealer, because it was wired into the harness professionaly.

I am covering up most of the chrome pieces with tape, and such. I am putting my original black side trim pillars on, while my Z is primered. I am also going to either put the '82 bumpers back on. Or run around without any, not sure yet. And I am flat blacking the hood, and the tops of the fenders. So my Z will sort of look like the cartoon version of Bluestreak. Anyway my Z should look better primer gray for now. With the bodywork that needs to be done. He will stay primer, until probably after the turbo swap. Well that is all for now, I hope to have my Z primered tomorrow, if not this week, he should be all gray and black. Will keep you all informed as always. As my Z will be joining the primer gray family. SIGH
Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Taste My Rainbow

yeahhhh almost there
Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I have some more ideas going on for my Bluestreak. After the tags run out in August. And I know for sure, that the '82 slicky, will be nice and dependable, for daily use. I am putting my '82 t-top down. After cleaning up my place, so I can work on it. And totally, and I mean totally start stripping him down, to everything. Yes I am set on this, it is the proper way to restore a car. And it will be my first one.

I will put him up on jackstands, and start taking him apart. Labeling everything, and where stuff goes, and what I took it off of. Meaning I took these screws from this part. And these bolts from this part. etc.. Well you get the idea folks. And in doing all this, it doesn't cost me anything, but time. lol

Now the end result for my Autobot, will be mostly surprise. I have so many cool things, that I am going to do to him. Okay I will tell you a little bit, of some of the things I am doing. I am going to either sandblast it, or just take it down all the way to the bare metal, and such. I am gutting it all out, and starting over. I am going to do it the right way, and actually completely restore a car. The secret is what I am going to do with the underbody and such. It will be mark my words, one of a kind, and verry different.

Also the firewall will get a special touch. To go along with my theme, you will see on that one later on. Believe me, I have thought on this. And I can picture it in my head. It is going to be off the hook! And of course the engine bay will be a blue and silver mix. he he

I recenly got clear sidemarkers and signals for my Z. I made the sidemarkers blue. And plan on also making the turn signals blue, and the reverse lights. he he

Also I have decided to give my Bluestreak his final drive, before I put him down. I am temporarily painting him blue and silver again. Just for the Transformers movie in July. I want to roll up in a Autobot, for the whole theme. Even though, there wont be any old school ones in the movie. I am sure people my age, or close to, will know what I will be portraying. he he

Well that is all I have for now. I will probably start a new thread, when I begin the dismantling for the restoration. With some custom touches. Stay tuned. And as always, feel free to comment.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 AM
From NY to AZ

Just so you know, you're gonna get busted for those blue turn signals and marker lights. They're illegal. Quite an expensive ticket for "impersonating an emergency vehicle" or whatever its called.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Taste My Rainbow

Yeah Great Idea But A Not A Good Thing To Do. You Need All The Mula You Can Get For Your Restore. Ohhhhh 2000th Post!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
Just so you know, you're gonna get busted for those blue turn signals and marker lights. They're illegal. Quite an expensive ticket for "impersonating an emergency vehicle" or whatever its called.
They are not as blue as you think. Just a real light kind of blue. And only the sidemarkers at the moment. My lights are nowhere near the shade of an emergency vehicle. I am sure if they are illegal, I will get warned. And then I will only run them at shows. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by skittle
Yeah Great Idea But A Not A Good Thing To Do. You Need All The Mula You Can Get For Your Restore. Ohhhhh 2000th Post!!!
Even when I am doing it myself? I am not taking my Z to anyone, if I can avoid it I will at all possible. This is going to be a big learning experience for me. And I will bet that it will not take a lot of money for the resto. I will do all I can, without any shop's help. Thanks for the input though, and this is a still an early thought process. More to come later.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I am planning on changing out my rear struts for the first time. I have a set of Gabriel's. And thought about putting them in my spare Tokiko springs, I have laying around. My main goal is to have my Z even with the front end. Will this make that happen? I am tired of my rear end being higher than the front. Any tips or thoughts on this, would be much appreciated. And thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

What springs are on the front now? Remember, it's the springs that manage the vehicle's height. Even if the springs are from the same manufacturer and "matched" it's possible they'll need some "tuning" to get everything even.

I had to remove 3/4 of a coil of a brand new set of Eibach springs to get the front to the right height to match the rears on my 240z.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
What springs are on the front now? Remember, it's the springs that manage the vehicle's height. Even if the springs are from the same manufacturer and "matched" it's possible they'll need some "tuning" to get everything even.

I had to remove 3/4 of a coil of a brand new set of Eibach springs to get the front to the right height to match the rears on my 240z.
I am not sure what is on the front. But I am happy with the results. The front and rear sit even. Woo hoo!! I put Tokiko springs and Gabriel struts in the rear. As for the front, for all I know probably stock from factory. I need to change it out later on. Anyway all good for now, will let you all know how the ride went.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:30 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow what a difference, like night and day! My Z handles better, and rides more like a sports car should. The cornering is a huge improvement also. I am really happy with the results. So Tokiko springs and Gabriel struts, are a pretty good combination. (well for the rear anyway) I basically tested them for all of you. hehe When I hit bumps it bounces a little. Not too much, but better, because he has new struts on him. And the huge deal with all this is... of course that the front and rear are even. That was my main reason for doing the change. That and I get a great handling Z again. All good here, oh yeah!

I just ordered a bunch of parts I needed for smog. I got everything from Rock Auto. What a great parts website, and the prices are overall decent. Hopefully will have everything in a week or so. I also got a Magnaflow cat from Ebay, for less than $60 to my door. So anyway I will get everything on, and then check his timing again. Just to make sure, run some Techron fuel system cleaner through him. Run him for a few days, and cross my fingers for smog. I think after all of the parts replacement, and dialing in and such. There should be no reason why I can't pass. Will keep you all updated, and feel free to comment.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well not a whole lot to report. I will be probably starting a Turbo swap this winter. Thanks to thxone, you are the man. Anyway yes I did get rid of my blue pedal covers. The JDM Bride wheel is off, and my blue Gt Grant wheel is back on. With some changes to it, I am working on it right now.

Now remember when I told you all. That I changed my audio in my Z? Well I have a Pioneer 590 ITB stereo, with an I-Pod adapter.And it also lights blue, and looks killer at night. And I have a 30gb I-pod, with over 3600 songs on it. I have all my cd's on there currently. I plan on here sometime in the near future. Getting 2 10" Pioneer subs, doing 600 watts a piece. I have already eye-balled them. And also running 2 8" subs behind the seats, in the stock locations. With possibly an amp, not sure yet. And of course will have to upgrade to a stronger alternator, when I get there.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I have given it some thought. And since I am still having overheating issues with my slicktop. I am going to flat black my '82 T-top. And maybe put on the tinted headlight covers also. I will post pics after I am done doing those things.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:01 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the covers are on. My Z looks pretty sweet with them on. Changes the appearance more. Anyway I will try and take a few pics tomorrow for all of you. I am ready to have some more recent pics for my sig, and cardomain page. Will let you all know.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I discovered a new not so nice sounding noise, coming from the rear of my Z. I think either my u-joints are bad. Or my rear end half-shalfs. Or whatever you call those things are. Or possibly even my rear bushing. Anyway I am going to put the driveshaft, out of my '81. Because I put new u-joints in it back in '02. The noise sounds like... a clacking sound. And I know it is coming from the rear of the car. I jacked it up, and checked underneath earlier today. Well tomorrow, I will swap out the driveshafts. Wish me luck.

Oh the sound is constant, when the car is in motion. Basically when the wheels are turning. Just to clarify that. Feedback is welcome.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM

Good luck, hope it's not anything too serious.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Spraguepsycho1
Good luck, hope it's not anything too serious.
Thanks man. And it was the u-joints. They were definately worn out. So all good there. I just have to put my test pipe on, and the heat shield. And mount my rear exhaust pipe. So it isn't hitting my driveshaft. I will tackle it in the morning.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

On a another note. Looky what I won on Ebay. It is a start for my Turbo Bluestreak project.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...014982247&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...015476825&rd=1

I lost this though, doh!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEDW:IT&ih=021

Oh well, it is a start. I am just going to build my n/a into a turbo. With a Z31 computer, and accs.

Last edited by WildmaN; 01-24-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Look what I won this time. Major score. Just one step closer for my Turbo project. Take a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...205077555&rd=1

Last edited by WildmaN; 01-24-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx N/A to 1981 280zx "Bluestreak" Turbo clone conversion