280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1982 280zx Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM

1982 280zx Turbo

Hey guys!

I figured I might as well run this car by you for some insight, can't hurt.

I'm looking into buying a 1982 Nissan 280zx Turbo. I'll give you what the craigslist add says in a nutshell.

Hey I have a 1982 Nissan/Datsun 280ZX Turbo with a completely rebuilt engine using OEM Nissan parts with only 11K on it.

The interior is in really really good condition for the year, no tears in the seats or anything!

She has t-tops and they don't leak.

Body is strait.

5-speed stick (Borg-Warner)

Custom limited slip differential

Upgraded brakes

Upgraded suspension

Upgraded turbo (T04B)

Upgraded control system (Z31 Turbo)

Greddy Profec B

The car does NOT pass SMOG. I have fixed a exaughst leak on the turbo since smogging her but, no garuntees that fixes it.

The E-brake could use a new cable, the current one is stretched to far, but still works in a pinch.

Needs a new starter, still push-starts though. Once the car is started it will NEVER die on you.

Car was built by a Nissan/Datsun Z series enthusiast whom I bought it from, drove for around 1.5K miles then decided it just wasn't for me. Also, car is not currently registered. Has not been registered for about 5 months now.
(This makes me think these forums have seen this car before, if you recognize it let me know!)

Some Pics:

After talking to the guy I have realized he's not super technically inclined, and doesn't know a ton about the car. He's asking 2k for it, I'm going down to go take a look at it tomorrow.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ThaPimpShrimp; 10-18-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

2k? Buy it, drive it home, enjoy the best decision you ever made in your life!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by evandubya
2k? Buy it, drive it home, enjoy the best decision you ever made in your life!!!!
That's what I was figuring haha. I'm in love with this so far.

Edit: I really want to see if the owner is around or this car is familiar. That would make me happy
Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM
The Good Twin

$2k for a modified 280zxt is usually a good deal (as long as the mods were done correctly).

Are those the craigslist pics? If they are (the most recent) then I have some concerns for you to check tomorrow:

#1: The "brake upgrade" can only be pads since the stock swastikas are still on the car.

#2: The AAC valve is still on the intake (it's usually removed for the Z31T ecu upgrade).

#3: You better double check that it REALLY does have LSD. Lift the rear end & spin one tire in the air, the other tire should spin the same way. If it spins the other way, or doesn't spin, it does NOT have LSD.

#4: Check the struts & springs... if they are "performance" they will be colored. Stock is black w/ no logos.

#5: Hopefully you can identify the differences between the stock T3 and a T04B or T3/T4 hybrid.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
$2k for a modified 280zxt is usually a good deal (as long as the mods were done correctly).

Are those the craigslist pics? If they are (the most recent) then I have some concerns for you to check tomorrow:

#1: The "brake upgrade" can only be pads since the stock swastikas are still on the car.

#2: The AAC valve is still on the intake (it's usually removed for the Z31T ecu upgrade).

#3: You better double check that it REALLY does have LSD. Lift the rear end & spin one tire in the air, the other tire should spin the same way. If it spins the other way, or doesn't spin, it does NOT have LSD.

#4: Check the struts & springs... if they are "performance" they will be colored. Stock is black w/ no logos.

#5: Hopefully you can identify the differences between the stock T3 and a T04B or T3/T4 hybrid.
I'll ask him about the brakes, and check them, I'll check the LSD and suspension, and yeah I can tell the difference between the two turbos

Thanks for the help Nismo!

Edit: Never mind, figured everything out. Just one thing though, what benefit does a z31 ecu have over the stock 280zxt ecu?

Last edited by ThaPimpShrimp; 10-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I'd buy it if it was local to me...

I'm curious about the T04B as well. There is a cheap one locally to me but I've had the worst luck finding the compressor map for it...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
Just one thing though, what benefit does a z31 ecu have over the stock 280zxt ecu?
The Z31-T ECU can be Nistuned

http://www.nistune.com/equipment-products-type1.php

Originally Posted by Nistune Website
You can now view and log RPM, Speed, MAF voltage, O2 sensor, Temperature, Battery, Timing and various switch settings. Diagnostic Terminal Codes can monitored and cleared. You can also perform real time tuning with this board!

This board along with the NIStune software provides consult capabilities (including Diagnostic reporting) and map tracing for non-consult Nissan ECUs

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 10-18-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info DevilZ

An update on the car, I went and checked it out today and everything looked good. Car ran great, and everything checked out. A few little things need to replaced and cleaned but aside from what was said in his original post nothing huge. I'm getting it for $1800

Hopefully I'll be picking it up this weekend and I am sure all of you will see some pictures not long after that! And of course mechanical updates (And many questions I'm sure haha) will come too.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

Awesome!!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 PM
The Good Twin

Nice. Did you check the things I mentioned?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Nice. Did you check the things I mentioned?
Yes I definitely did, the front and read shocks were aftermarket, struts were stock. The odo reads 79k miles, but the engine is pretty much new at 11k miles. The ecu was a z31 ecu. Brakes were pretty good, but needed to be cleaned and possibly the right side pads replaced. It has an LSD and the interior is in prime condition considering the age.

I am pretty much in love with this car at the moment, gotta get a few things replaced, pass smog, and register it. Then it'll be my DD
Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 PM

The shocks are aftermarket but the struts are stock???
Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by flightforlife07
The shocks are aftermarket but the struts are stock???
Sorry haha. I have my terminology really wrong, like I said, new to all of this stuff.

I meant the tension rod I believe. But yeah, shocks and struts are aftermarket. What kind, I have no clue. They were light blue though.

Another note, the car is a 2+2! I wasn't expecting that but it's kinda nice actually. I thought I was just going to have to deal with two seats.

Edit: I am actually currently trying to get in contact with the original owner of this car who did all of the work on it. The story is that he retrieved the car from a junkyard with no engine, and put one in after rebuilding it himself. But we'll find out when he responds to me!

Last edited by ThaPimpShrimp; 10-18-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Sorry haha. I have my terminology really wrong, like I said, new to all of this stuff.

I meant the tension rod I believe. But yeah, shocks and struts are aftermarket. What kind, I have no clue. They were light blue though.

Another note, the car is a 2+2! I wasn't expecting that but it's kinda nice actually. I thought I was just going to have to deal with two seats.

Edit: I am actually currently trying to get in contact with the original owner of this car who did all of the work on it. The story is that he retrieved the car from a junkyard with no engine, and put one in after rebuilding it himself. But we'll find out when he responds to me!
Probably Tokico suspension parts if they are blue.

Welcome to the club..... even if it is a 2+2 ;P
Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac

Welcome to the club..... even if it is a 2+2 ;P
Haha well even though it'll be a bit heavier I kinda enjoy the fact that it's a 2+2.. mainly because I am sure I will be needing to drive some friends around :P

I came across the photo album of this car's rebuild online and it all looks fantastic. I honestly can't believe I just picked this up for only $1800. If anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to post it up here for you guys. If you could just tell me the easiest way to do so that is. There are about 107+ pictures and they're organized into a few separate folders.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
The Good Twin

yes... post... link... plz. gracias... We have to ask?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Is this car a turbo swap? I'm not well versed on S130's (even though I just bought one), but I didn't think the 2+2 came in a turbo.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Murph Z32
Is this car a turbo swap?
Sounds like it:

The story is that he retrieved the car from a junkyard with no engine, and put one in after rebuilding it himself. But we'll find out when he responds to me!

but I didn't think the 2+2 came in a turbo.
Yep... the first year (81) 280zxt only came as a 2seater auto, in 82-83 it was available as a 2+2 & BW T5 manual trans options. There's even a pic of an 82-83 280zxt 2+2 in the front of the Haynes manual. The beauty of S30's / S130's is the ease and availability of part swapping.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Is this car a turbo swap? I'm not well versed on S130's (even though I just bought one), but I didn't think the 2+2 came in a turbo.
I don't believe that this car is a turbo swap, the tranny was swapped to a 5-speed though.

Here is the album! I uploaded it to photobucket. The pictures are a little backwards as far as order goes though unfortunately.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...rla/?start=all
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Sounds like it
Apparently the story from the guy I was buying it off of was a little wrong. From what I can tell in the pictures the car came stock as a turbo. It's got all the decals, and all of the parts for one. Not to mention the cool "turbo 280zx" writing on the taillights
Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol - I've seen your car rebuild pictures before. He was a member either here or on hybridz
Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Lol - I've seen your car rebuild pictures before. He was a member either here or on hybridz
I figured he probably was! Haha I've been talking to him for a while now about all of the modifications he did and I am very glad I'm making this purchase.

And yes they are Tokico.

Here, I've got a little list from an ad he had of the specs.

Originally Posted by Ebay Ad

About the Car

This is my 1982 280ZX Turbo. I've had her for a number of years now, and I've decided that I would really like to reinvest, and focus more on my 1967 Roadster.

This car is registered, running, and currently my daily driver.

The body has 248,000 miles.

The engine, suspension, brakes, and everything else has about 8,000.

History of the Car

I bought this car in Oakland as a long-term project in 2007 - with a salvage title. It remains unclear how it got the salvage title, but since the driver side lock was drilled out when I got it (fixed now), I've been assuming theft recovery.

I've had no trouble with registration or insurance.

The engine is completely rebuilt with OEM Nissan parts, properly broken in, and about to hit 8,000 miles.

Upgrades and Restoration

I tried very hard to remain true to the original spirit of the car, and make tasteful modifications that didn't depart from the stock design.

Engine

2.8L Fuel Injected, Turbocharged Inline-6
Completely rebuilt using OEM Nissan parts
Decked and refreshed P90 cylinder head
New water pump & thermostat
High Volume oil pump
New distributor
New alternator
New engine mounts
New fuel injectors
New 3-Core aluminum radiator

Electronics

Z31 Turbo computer upgrade
Z31 Turbo MAF upgrade (no more AFM!)
(Rare) Greddy Profec B Spec I boost controller
(Rare) 1979 120mph speedometer

Turbo & Exhaust

Garrett T04B "H" Trim Compressor
Water cooled center section
"Stage 1" Turbine wheel
Tuned for 10psi
Catalytic converter delete (for off-road use only, of course!)
New Magnaflow straight-through muffler

Drivetrain

Low-mileage Borg-Warner T-5 (5 speed)
New clutch
New flywheel
Limited slip differential (Custom built helical-type)
New differential mount (I guarantee you NO ONE ELSE has replaced this)

Brakes and Suspension

Rebuilt master cylinder
New Cross drilled and slotted rotors
New Ceramic pads
Rebuilt calipers
Falken Ziex 912 tires (215 front, 225 rear)

Cosmetics & Rust

This is a California car, and has nearly zero rust. There is a little bit on the edges of the battery tray, but none anywhere else (including the spare tire well, edges of the hatch, and undercarriage).

The paint on the hood is coming off, and will need to be redone in the near future.

There is some past body work on the passenger fender that isn't noticeable until you're looking for it.

Front leather seats are freshly reupholstered.
New headliner.
New rear trim.
New floor mats.
Two hairline cracks in the dash

Last edited by ThaPimpShrimp; 10-20-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
The Good Twin

Sounds like a smokin deal! Did you buy it yet?!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 PM

Sounds like a smokin deal! Did you buy it yet?!
Picking it up tomorrow hopefully! Unfortunately though, the kid who owns it at the moment might have screwed me on paperwork. I don't think he ever turned in his bill of sale to the DMV, and I doubt the got the title given over to him either. Luckily I have good contact with the original owner if that's necessary, but I have a feeling this might be a bit off a mess to figure out.

If all goes well though, I'll have that car back at my place tomorrow afternoon! I'm planning on picking up a starter on my way home. Anyone have any guides on how to replace it, or pics of where it is or anything?

I'll be searching right now but any information you can throw at me (Tips etc) will be very helpful.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Congrats on the car. Once you've got the paper work mess worked out you've got a nice setup for a great price. I was looking at S130's here on the East coast in Halifax and they want an insane amount of money for theirs - $7500 for a NA... crazy...

Quick Reply: 1982 280zx Turbo