280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars
View Poll Results: 81 TTop or 82 Coupe, both MT, both NA? Goal is to have a turbo nice looking Z.
81 TTop
62.50%
82 Coupe
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

81 TTop or 82 coupe both N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Question 81 TTop or 82 coupe both N/A?

Hi all. This is my first post and I am new. I want to get every1s opinion on what should I do. I apologize in advance because this is a long post.

I own a 1981 280ZX T-Top, black, mechanically good, but aesthetically poor condition and a 1982 280ZX, coupe, white, mechanically poor, but aesthetically decent. Both NA, MT, one clear title, one salvaged title; respectively.

I have access to a professional painter and body worker that will help me make the car (which ever I choose) look like I spend a lot even though the body cost will be very minimal (on either car).

More info on both cars:
Car #1
Year: 1981 ZX
Tittle: Clear
Trim: TTop
Exterior: Black Exterior (Poor-ish)
Interior Beige Interior (Poor-ish)
Interior: Leather beige bucket seats (separate head rest)
Transmission: MT
Engine: Rebuild engine (less than 5k on it)

CAR #2
Year: 1982 ZX
Tittle: Salvaged
Trim: Coupe
Exterior: White Exterior (Decent) Originally Beige/Gold
Interior: Red Interior (Poor-ish)
Interior: Cloth Seats with the separate head rest
Transmission: MT
Engine: I think safe to say that it needs a new/rebuilt engine

Mechanically, I consider myself pretty good. Body skills is a different story, but like I said, I have that cover.

My plan was to have one driving before the end of summer.

This is what I plan so far:
0. Fix the ttop
1. MSA II kit (already bought with the tinted headlights)
2. flat black (the right way)
3. Shave the quarter lights, antenna (no radio), rear windshield wiper.
4. Restore original rims
5. scrap the entire interior and paint the metal
6. Reupholster maybe one seat (exp. to do) and keep it as a one seater.
7. Drive it like this while engine gets built.

Eventually (2-3 years from now) I will drop in a built turbo motor (l28et).

1982 Coupe or 1981 TTop? Which is a better to fix considering the difference between the two, what I want in the end (good performing, nice looking Z), time, money, effort, and overall value?

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

THANKS EVERY1!

I will find out how to post pics in a sec.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by Nissan4Ever_626
I have access to a professional painter and body worker that will help me make the car (which ever I choose) look like I spend a lot even though the body cost will be very minimal (on either car).
Look like you spent a lot, with out spending a lot? Sounds like a cheap quick fix you will regret in less than a year. Cheap body work is cheap for a reason.

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
How much $$$ are you willing to spend?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM

There is no real budget (i have a lot of money), but I don't want to spend too much money. I like Z's, and I want to have a good looking one. Not the best, full blown out show car, but something I wont be embarrassed to drive to work and something I can take pride in.

The painter is one of my good friends, very experience, very knowledgeable, he works at a body shop (can't mention which one b/c I don't have his permission to state) but they are highly reputable. He painted several SEMA cars for the past few year (I should say award winning for best body and best paint). He will also prep the car. I will, 100%, be the assistant and work under supervision. Mechanically, the sky is the limit for me, I can drop an LS1 motor if I wanted to but thats not what I want to do. I want to keep it simple and clean.

Were doing this as a fun project (we both like working on cars, he is a body guy and I am a mechanical guy), I can easily take it to a body shop and pay, but I wanted to do it myself (even if it cost the same or more). In the end I want to be able to say that I did this all by myself and take pride in my work.

My only problem was that I cant decide which one to fix, 81 T Top or 82 Coupe. And both would not be an option. I would want something different.

Last edited by Nissan4Ever_626; 04-16-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm a Registered User!

My vote is on the T-top.
Mostly because, let's just say one day you decide to sell the car. You will probably get more money for a clean titled car that is as nice as you're planning on making.

I know, right now odds are the thoughts are:
a) I don't plan on selling the car
b) I don't care if I get more or less money if I sold it

But I feel it would be a smarter move to work on the Clean Titled, Rebuilt Engined T-Top Z.

Yes, you will drop in a nice engine later as you stated... but what about the time in between? You will be spending a lot of time on body work so why not spend less time on mechanical work before you can use it.

EDIT:
It pretty much sounds like you already have your mind set on the T-Top after re-reading your post. Why don't you just do that?

Last edited by SpeciallySpiked; 04-16-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
The Good Twin

Take the best parts of both cars and build one "all around" good 280zx. Rust is usually the biggest problem (time and money consuming), and if you are already thinking of motor upgrades, use the good body of the 82, and swap all the good 81 parts onto it (if you don't mind having a salvaged title).

Ultimately it's all up to you... weigh the options and choose.

And... why is having both not an option?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Oh yeah, I didn't catch the "exterior aesthetically poor"

What exactly do you mean?
Rust?
Dents?
Just paint wise?

From how you posted it, I was assuming that the paint was bad (and that was all).
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm a Registered User!

T
The only reason why I am still hesitant is because the 82 coupe was my very first car (being sitting in backyard for years now since it stopped running).

I feel like theres a sentimental value or a bond that is really hard to get rid off. I initially bought the ttop to get all the good parts for the 82.
oohh..... I know how that goes. My 280ZX = my first car and well...
I'll probably still have it even when we don't have fossil fuels anymore...

Tough decision
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 PM

Very little rust on either, small dents here and there, both interiors are poor. Let me see how to post pics.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Ruff Ryder

i say take the best of both cars and put it in the 82, slicktops are starting to become rare for the s130's
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Ouch... I accidently deleted one of my replies. The 82 coupe was my very first car.

I think I should mentioned that I was involved in an accident with the 82 a while back. I hit a curb (at 60 mph or so) rolled over and landed on its side. Bent the frame a bit broke all the passenger suspension parts. I repaired and replaced all the broken/bent pairs (had to pull the frame a bit), took it to a shop had the body redone. (This is not why its salvaged, it was salvaged even before I acquired)

Everything was good for the next 6 months, and then it gets stolen (only had liability). So bought a new car.

Finally got it back after 6 months or so, found it at an impound yard (police never bothered to call me; only reason why I found out was b/c I got a letter from the LA county probation or so asking me if I wanted to press charges) paid all the impound fees (about 1k) (sent the stupid bitch who stole it to jail, it accomplished nothing though b/c never got any money back).

At this point i bought the ttop to salvage parts b/c after the theft it was running really poor. Trans broken, spray painted the new paint job on certain parts to make it look different i guess.

And then bought several other cars and bikes and completely forgot about the Z. Got rid of everything except for the two Zs and my spec V. Getting rid of the spec V soon for something nicer (going luxury this time). GOT A BIG PROMO AT WORK.

I just find it amazing that I get rid of alot of things like yesterdays newspaper but find it really hard to let go of the Z.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Here is the white 82 coupe. Might still have some alignment prob but easily fixed...right?
Attached Thumbnails 81 TTop or 82 coupe both N/A?-1.jpg  
Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM

The black one, had to crop in order to make it 1600x1200.
Missing fender but its in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails 81 TTop or 82 coupe both N/A?-6.jpg  
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I would say the '82 slicktop...And I am sure you can get a clean title for it..The slicktop is more rare after '81..And the T-tops are more common...I have the best of both worlds..I have 4 280zx's...1 pending a sale, which might not happen..2 T-tops, and 2 Slicktops...The choice is yours..but I vote for the '82 coupe slicktop.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

I prefer the look of the slicktop, sounds like you don't plan on selling the Z anytime soon and it was your Z before you got the other one. I say keep both and if anything goes wrong go to the t-top.