280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

82 280Z Won't run.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM

82 280Z Won't run.

Car was running fine, changed radiator. Had engine running, water in new radiator,waiting for engine to warm up. Engine died, tried restarting it. Would start, run for about 5 seconds then die. Engine would immediately die if I pressed on gas pedal. All fusible links look good. Don't have a LED to test the injectors. Fuel filter/fuel pump tests ok. Praying that the ECU isn't dead. Is there a standard fuze to protect it?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

An engine needs 3 things to run:
-Air
-Fuel
-Spark

The engine is probably either starved for fuel or flooded. Usually when this happens right after replacing something, it's because a sensor or connector got knocked loose.

So... first things first: Check AFM & connection, CHTS & connection, fuel injector connections, check to make sure the fuel pump is priming.

BTW... if it's an 82, it's a 280ZX not a 280Z. I will move this to the proper section.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MrLightRail
Car was running fine, changed radiator. Had engine running, water in new radiator,waiting for engine to warm up. Engine died, tried restarting it. Would start, run for about 5 seconds then die. Engine would immediately die if I pressed on gas pedal. All fusible links look good. Don't have a LED to test the injectors. Fuel filter/fuel pump tests ok. Praying that the ECU isn't dead. Is there a standard fuze to protect it?
Try unplugging the small 2 wire connector on the back of the alternator, that forces the fuel pump to run constant. This will eliminate fuel pump control problems. It could be that your only running on the pressure generated by the start mode on the fuel system, if that's true and you unplug the alt., it'll run fine. Then you know where to look.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Doesn't post much...

My money is on: "Got water/coolant in the AFM plug while monkeying around with replacing the radiator".

Check the plug on the top of your Air Flow Meter. If it's wet, you must acquit! I mean.. er... If it's wet, that's your problem.

Happens all the time.