280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

82' Idling at 2700rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 PM

82' Idling at 2700rpm

Hey there, I know there are a million posts referencing a high idle problem but none seem to sit right with me so Ill describe what happened in my case.
I bought my zx (Stacy) about a month ago, I have done a full tune up, replaced plugs, wires, oil filter, fuel filter, added a cool air induction system, new radiators, replaced power steering pump, then finally turned the key and she seemed to work great, so when I went to get gas I played pretty heavy on the pedal out of sheer excitement. But roughly 5min after refueling she began to idle really high (2700) could it be somthing to do with fuel? And the new gas? Could I have lost a hose while revving? I sprayed starter flyin on my vac lines to test but with no change, what would start the problem from thin air everything seemed fine before. Anything is helpful thank you
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM

Try disconnecting your cold start, it may be stuck open. Also I would clean the AFM. There is a writeup in the Tech section. I have a similar problem every once in a while, but mine will only idle at about 1400 on those days, and usually it needs to be a hot day. Seems like whatever your issue with her is, it starts after warmup. Where was the temp gauge at the time?

Edit: There are tons of 280zx's in your area. I just moved to Lacey a couple weeks ago and have seen 4 different ones, not including mine.

Last edited by MurphyEF; 10-03-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 AM

I thought it might be a cold start issue to, but after it happened the first time, now it happens everytime she is started wether cold or not :/. Well welcome to Lacey i didn't know there were a lot of us z owners
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by MurphyEF
Try disconnecting your cold start, it may be stuck open. Also I would clean the AFM. There is a writeup in the Tech section. I have a similar problem every once in a while, but mine will only idle at about 1400 on those days, and usually it needs to be a hot day. Seems like whatever your issue with her is, it starts after warmup. Where was the temp gauge at the time?

Edit: There are tons of 280zx's in your area. I just moved to Lacey a couple weeks ago and have seen 4 different ones, not including mine.
Willing to make some cash? Maybe you could come take a look at it and teach me a few things
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Zxbuilder
I thought it might be a cold start issue to, but after it happened the first time, now it happens everytime she is started wether cold or not :/. Well welcome to Lacey i didn't know there were a lot of us z owners
Doesn't matter if its cold or not if the valve is broken and is spraying fuel all the time!

And I'll take that cash
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

there is a whole zcar club in the area. check out zccw.org. come to a meeting or go on a drive. check that your throttle isn't hanging up causing the high idle. be sure your carpet isn't bunching up under the gas pedal. but that usually causes you not to be able to rev up.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM

I can certainly stop by if you would like. Would have to be tomorrow at the earliest, early release day for the little one. No cash necessary, mate, depending on the distance.

I've seen pretty much every Z so far off 114 on Marvin.

Again, try just disconnecting the CSV and taking it for a drive, see if it helps. Do you have the downloadable fsm from xenons?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
there is a whole zcar club in the area. check out zccw.org. come to a meeting or go on a drive. check that your throttle isn't hanging up causing the high idle. be sure your carpet isn't bunching up under the gas pedal. but that usually causes you not to be able to rev up.
Oh wow, ok ill check them out, and ill for sure go on a drive as soon as she is ready to do so. I checked the throttle and its not sticking it moves freely, and the carpet it fine, but ill keep looking thx
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM

I can certainly stop by if you would like. Would have to be tomorrow at the earliest, early release day for the little one. No cash necessary, mate, depending on the distance.

I've seen pretty much every Z so far off 114 on Marvin.

Again, try just disconnecting the CSV and taking it for a drive, see if it helps. Do you have the downloadable fsm from xenons?
I don't have the downloadable from xenon, but I have my paper back chiltons.

Tomorrow actually works perfect for me if you want, I'm just up the hill from downtown oly on the Lacey side. And I'm free from 11-6 so anytime in there is great.

I don't even know what the csv is lol everyone uses abbreviations and I get lost haha, I do best with hand on learning or images. I'm new to mechanics considering I'm only 24, but that's why I'm doin this lol,

Write back for my address
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Ah. The CSV (cold start valve) is right by the throttle body. It actually has a line from the fuel rail going to it in addition to a two wire electrical connection. Essentially it is an additional injector that is supposed to pulse and richen the air untill the engine warms up, then it is supposed to shut off. Age doesn't have much of anything to do with experience, I'm only 23, but have been working on cars since I was about 5 (helping dad in the garage).
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Ah. The CSV (cold start valve) is right by the throttle body. It actually has a line from the fuel rail going to it in addition to a two wire electrical connection. Essentially it is an additional injector that is supposed to pulse and richen the air untill the engine warms up, then it is supposed to shut off. Age doesn't have much of anything to do with experience, I'm only 23, but have been working on cars since I was about 5 (helping dad in the garage).
Yea I checked the csv, disconnected it and she is still idling at 2700 rpm
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Vacuum leak?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Vacuum leak?
Sprayed starter fluid on all my hoses to check but there was no change to the rpm at all, (trick from autozone) any other options? I'm just a noob
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Sometimes, it just takes an extra set of eyes to look at things a different way...oh, and a little tiny washer that fell sideways to wedge by the throttle stop can make a heck of a difference!