280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

83 ZX Door Chime Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 AM

83 ZX Door Chime Fiasco

Last week, my 8 year old daughter slammed the S&%t out of the passenger door. It sounded like something broke inside the door. I removed the interior panel and found nothing, but a loose nut on the bottom of the door. No clue where it goes.

Anyhow, now when I turn the car to the right, that door is apparently coming slightly open because I get the door open chimes, the light on the bottom of the door lights up, and my dome light comes on.

My question: Is there some kind of sensor or ground inside the door that was busted when the door was slammed? When I apply pressure to the door from the interior (while closed), I cannot make the chime/door light/dome light come on. So, I'm thinking I shouldn't need to adjust the door.

I appreciate any input you Z gurus might have for me.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Yes, there is a door sensor at the bottom of the b-pillar (look down from where the door latches). Fairly common problem for the sensor to lose it's ground from corrosion or being bent. Pull the grommet and inspect.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Still no luck

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

Yes, there is a door sensor at the bottom of the b-pillar (look down from where the door latches). Fairly common problem for the sensor to lose it's ground from corrosion or being bent. Pull the grommet and inspect.
If I'm looking in the right place, there is a switch under the grommet. Pushing the switch in, it would NOT kill the courtesy lights. So, I picked up another switch at the salvage yard and now pushing in the button, the courtesy lights go off. I thought I had it fixed.

However, going over bumps but more especially, cutting the wheel to the right, courtesy lights pop on and door the door chimes ring. The door is not loose and closes properly. I'm really stumped!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM

is your car very rusty? If so the chassis will flex a lot which can cause the doors to open slightly. I used to know a kid in high school who had an old POS late 60's mustang convertible that the doors would fly open if you took a sharp turn at speed
Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Switchtr3
is your car very rusty? If so the chassis will flex a lot which can cause the doors to open slightly. I used to know a kid in high school who had an old POS late 60's mustang convertible that the doors would fly open if you took a sharp turn at speed
Nope, this Z is in awesome shape and mostly garage kept. Is there something inside the door that might have broke off wen she slammed the door?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Nope it's the door switch. You must have either a gap or a bad connection