280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Anime Characters

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 PM
The Good Twin

Anime Characters

So I just d/l'd a vid from limewire called "ProjectD." It's an anime cartoon from Japan. I hate anime shows and can't stand watching them... but can someone tell me why the Japanese cartoon characters don't have Japanese eyes? No... this isn't a racial question... I'm not racist, I just wonder why Japan would portray their characters to look like Americans???
Old 12-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Ruff Ryder

its harder to make them that way, plus it makes it less realistic, so you dont have people trying what they do. or its made in america
Old 12-06-2005, 12:02 AM
NisTuner

Well you're probably watching Initial D. The latest season, Fourth Stage has them with a team called Project D. Anyway who knows why they never look Japanese. I find it funny because the anime characters are more Americanized than Japanese. We're the ones who have the crazy hairstyles and what not. It's funny to see Japan idolizing the styles that came from this continent.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:55 AM

Heh, ironically, the Initial D characters are probably more Japanese-looking than most other anime characters! Anywho, to the question of the big eyes, I've heard they consider eyes to the windows to the soul, so that influences it. Besides, it's animation; if they wanted it exactly like real Japanese people, then they could just make a live show instead (there is a live Initial D movie actually). It's all just style.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:56 AM
The Good Twin

Good stuff... things I hadn't considered!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Bleach is my Hero

LMAO Did anyone else read that then just try to picture a cartoon like that.. Like Family Guy or something.. haha.. Damn that would look funny
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 AM
NisTuner

Well from what I've heard is that it's like Heat Rave R said. The Japanese do tend to use big eyse in their characters to give more expression in the animes. Although that whole style actually was influenced from Disney animation way back in the day.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
From NY to AZ

So does anyone here actually watch any anime?

I've seen a few episodes of Initial D since my roomate was really into it and had them all on DVD. I thought it was pretty retarded but then again i didn't really pay much attention to the subtitles. I myself watch Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell... good stuff...

Last edited by 007max; 12-06-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Ruff Ryder

me, i have the complete series of cowboy bepop, rah-xephon, last exhile, wich hunter robin. and howls moving castle was also great. thats only whats on the top of my mind, i also have over 500+ manga books and about 150+ dvd sets.

Last edited by hoov100; 12-07-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
NisTuner

I watch Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, Ghost In the Shell is awesome. I really like Initial D, it's just an entertaining show to watch. I've also started watching this show called Capeta. It's about this kid who starts off with Go-Kart racing and I guess the series will eventually go into F1 Racing.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Cowboy Bebop is the best. i used to watch gundam, that was always good. DBZ was cool, but there was way too much waiting around and flying from one place to another. Ghost in the Shell was badass. the Vampire Hunter D movies were pretty good. and i watched all the stuff on toonami back in the day before it got crappy. Macross/Robotech is one of my favorite series. but Cowboy Bebop will always be my favorite.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 AM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

haha, any [Adult Swim] fans in the joint? I like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell (movies beat the series hands down, IMO), seen some InitialD (just found out they made a game...like yesterday), and since I watch some [Adult Swim] I find myself watching Full Metal Alchemist and Inuyasha...although they aren't even really my favorites. I dunno, besides that I'm more into the anime-style games, some RPGs, etc.....I know it isn't anime or menga, but I like ATHF, a little bit of Family Guy, and Futurama.

BRING BACK FUTURAMA!

I remember when I was younger (8-12 years ago) the Sci-fi channel used to do like their "Week of Anime" during the summertime, does anyone remember that, or know if they still do that anymore?

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 12-07-2005 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I remember when they played anime on Sc-Fi channel. Transformers, Robotech, crappy power rangers. And I can't remember what else. On the question is it still playing? I am not really sure on that one. But I have Transformers, GIjoe, Samurai Jack, on DVD sets. Great stuff, but Transformers is still the greatest cartoon put out. (old school) Reminds me a lot about my childhood years.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 AM

I was a big anime fan (Otaku) ever since high school (starting off from Robotech, like many of us). I was even a cosplayer for a few years. In recent years though, I still go to major anime conventions in CA, but just to hang with friends since I don't really watch any anime anymore. I was into Initial D up through 3rd Stage, but 4th Stage hadn't kept my attention since Takumi ALWAYS wins so there's no suspense about the outcome. At this point, he's no longer the underdog and is now the "invader" of other areas.

I have a fair collection of older VHS tapes of anime, with such classics as Project A-KO, Gunbuster, etc. Heh, I'm from the 90's generation of anime. But none of today's anime has captured my attention as it all seems mass-produced cookie-cutter fluff nowadays. IMO, it's become formulaic, with few storylines/settings that are really original. All the characters look and sound alike. There's the brash semi-bishonen hero with the obnoxiously oversized weapon, the annoyingly cute mascot animal/creature/robot, the blatantly jailbait cutesy girl that runs around in skimpy outfits, the tough/tomboyish girl that's hot, etc, etc.

I guess one thing I do like about Initial D (aside from the fact it's about cars) is that I can relate more to the characters and the problems. Of course, since it's one of the few anime that's set in contemporary times (with no supernatural craziness going on), it should be the easiest to relate to. Most of the characters' problems have to deal with cars and girls. Is there anything else in life? =P
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 AM

It's not really anime but I say Family guy would be the best on Adult Swim.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Kyle, Kenny, Stan, and Cartman. Nuff said.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
NisTuner

If you guys like Cowboy Bebop, I definitely think you should check out Lupin III. In my opinion Bebop was kinda inspired by Lupin. Alot of people don't like Lupin because it has an older style of art that really doesn't fit in with your normal anime.

As for [adult swim] they still have Futurama. It's on every weeknight after Ghost in the Shell at 2:00 a.m. I believe.

Last edited by duowing; 12-08-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
LMAO Did anyone else read that then just try to picture a cartoon like that.. Like Family Guy or something.. haha.. Damn that would look funny
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...amily+guy+trix

I shall say no more.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Dorifto

Yes! Finally the rabbit wins!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:32 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted by Dorifto
ahhahaha

I hear you Heat Wave R about the new anime being like cookie cutterish w/ the same basic things in all of them, especially the "new-ish" addition to an annoying little creature/animal in all of them, thank you Pokemon

btw, anyone here watch either the Armitage (I, II, III) or Tenchi Muyo movies? (I just have some vhs sitting on my shelf, figured i'd ask)
Old 12-08-2005, 05:38 AM

Man, I used to have the original Tenchi OAV series when it was only available on laser disc! I was into the old school stuff like Ranma 1/2 long before it was officially translated.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 AM
NisTuner

I agree with what everyone else says about the animes being cookie cutter-ish. It really shows a lack of actual involvement in the anime series anymore. It's as if the show's creators are too scared to create something different and be shunned for it. Thank god Datsun wasn't like that.

As for Heat Rave R. I remember Laserdisc. Those things were huge like records. Ranma ½ was always a fun show to watch. Went on a little too long and kinda got boring after awhile. Just like all of her shows: Inuyasha, Urusei Yatsura, Ranma ½, and a few others that I can't think of.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 AM
From NY to AZ

I really can't stand all the anime with the supernatural stuff worked into the plot (inuyasha). The ones i like are the ones set in the future (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell as i said)... maybe they're a little out there but they are not full of supernatural BS. I also enjoyed Blue Gender (what a horrible name lol) before the plot turned to **** with the 'rebirth of the planet' crap. I'm kinda starting to like Samurai Shamploo (from the creators of Cowboy Bebop). It got pretty dry after the first couple of episodes with no plot development going on but this last episode was pretty good

I guess i have always liked sci-fi > fantasy

Oh yeah the original transformers kicked ***! I can't believe i haven't watched the show in like 14 years they need to put it back on TV
Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 AM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by duowing
If you guys like Cowboy Bebop, I definitely think you should check out Lupin III. In my opinion Bebop was kinda inspired by Lupin. Alot of people don't like Lupin because it has an older style of art that really doesn't fit in with your normal anime.

As for [adult swim] they still have Futurama. It's on every weeknight after Ghost in the Shell at 2:00 a.m. I believe.
[adult swim] is pretty much the only TV i watch. They have a lot of great shows on, of which Futureama is definitely my favorte Some of their new stuff blows but it gets weeded out of the lineup pretty quick (exept for inuyasha ). They seem to have trouble creating original series that don't suck though, aside from ATHF and Robot Chicken (which is only good because it has 1 or 2 hillarious moments per episode) i can't name a single original series that hasn't massively sucked

EDIT: (damn how could i forget Harvey Birdman and the Venture Brothers )
Old 12-09-2005, 01:40 AM

Believe it or not, I had a Ghost in the Shell video recently that I enjoyed quite a bit. I don't remember what episodes I had, but they were awesome! And of course, had that courtesy "*** shot" that all anime's seem to have, if not more. Hopefully Anime and Manga will be around a long time!!!!

Quick Reply: Anime Characters