280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Any definitive article on Toyota calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Any definitive article on Toyota calipers?

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on our Lemons racer '80 280zx. I've read a few posts regarding the brake calipers from an early '80's 4WD Toyota truck, but most were around various test fits that folks were doing. Is there a definitive post on whether these calipers work, and if so, what needs to be done to make them work well? Do they have more braking force than the stock calipers, or do they just offer better pad selection? (I'd like to be able to run Hawk HPS or something similar) Also curious if there is a good mating rear caliper set-up so I don't have to worry about adding a proportioning valve or something to even out the overly aggressive "new" front set-up. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
The Good Twin

Click: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...alipers-31236/
Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Got it, thanks. Yes, that's one of the threads I read and it doesnt' seem definitive to me unless I'm mis-reading it. It's frutstrating that there are so few good options (any really.) Somehow I need to increase the braking power on this thing, but without bigger rotors (ideally matched front and rear) that's going to be pretty tough. Wonder if I could use different struts altogether to give me more options? There's gotta be a way to pull this off without buying one of the super expensive kits.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
The Good Twin

Lots of definitive info...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
There's no easy / cheap solution for 280zx brake upgrades.
Originally Posted by NismoPick
I'm still thinking about this... Since the Toyota calipers would require a bracket, really any caliper is an option as long as it will line up correctly to the rotor... but then which rotor?

I plan to get my car on the track (Miller Motorsports Park) next year, and I have a feeling my stock brakes just aren't going to hold up to 10-20 min of heavy braking, several times in one day.

I was checking out Jeff P's 280ZXT brakes (http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page20.html) and noticed he was using bigger discs on what looks to be stock hubs, and using spacers & longer wheel studs to push out the wheel enough to clear the caliper.

Coleman rotors & Outlaw calipers...

The final answer: break open your wallet, or build your own.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I guess that's about what I was getting at, but there's no way I can justify $1500 for brakes on a $500 car if you know what I mean. Would seem like the Toyota calipers might be an option, but did you ever find a way to get a bigger rotor that fits with them?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Get SS brake lines, the highest dry boiling point brake fluid you can afford and change as required, Porterfield pads and air ducting to the rotors. That's the best racing bang for your $$.

I wonder if anyone has tried to band aid an inadequate brake system with a brake fluid cooler?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by LemonHead
Would seem like the Toyota calipers might be an option, but did you ever find a way to get a bigger rotor that fits with them?
Z31 rotors are about an inch bigger in diameter. So if you can get a bracket to sit the caliper in the right spot, it would work. But don't forget that by doing so, you have indeed thrown off the brake bias... ever driven a front brake heavy car? Feels like you're going to nose dive right into the pavement.

Originally Posted by FricFrac
I wonder if anyone has tried to band aid an inadequate brake system with a brake fluid cooler?
Nos spray the lines...
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

... and I guess the issue with brake fluid is that it's not circulated....

Inline Brake Cooler might be worth checking

http://slavensracing.com/products/br...r-ktm-husaberg

http://www.fourproducts.com/FSBC.htm

... and this might help cause circulation... http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...temno=260-3501
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've spent a few hours this evening reading various posts on this subject both here and on HybridZ, and it seems like my best option is going to be just making sure my stock system is well set-up and getting really good pads like Porterfiled R4 (we are going through a set of pads per race though, so it will get spendy fast.)
One more question: I've got the 15/16 master cylinder and having a really hard time finding a spare one. Is there a reason I couldn't switch over to the later style MC and booster from the 81-83 model since those parts are more readily available? What exactly changed in those years and is one set-up better than another?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Aren't all the S130 masters 15/16?