280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Audio for the ZX's ENTER HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah yeah, noob ressurecting an old thread...

But for good reason. There are enough stereo threads as it is.

I wired up a Sony XPLOD stereo (with a sketchy CD reader) and seems I didn't want to mess with factory wiring, I just ran my own new wires for power and used the already cut speaker wiring(a previous owner had a stereo that was stolen). Anyhow, the reception was TERRIBLE, I was barely picking up closeby stations. So I figured it had something to do with the power antenna. I didn't hook up any antenna wires except the big plug in one for the actual signal. Reason? Couldn't figure out which one was for the antenna. Anyhow, I had bad reception, so I figured it had something to do with the power antenna needing the other wire plugged in. So naturally, I bought a new antenna, one without needing power, took the old one out, installed new one, etc.

Well good news is, my reception was much better, but still crap. I tried aluminum foil, that didn't work. I tried holding the antenna. Same deal. I even tried sticking it out the window before i installed it correctly(Hey! I got a station!). Is there anything I can do to get better signal? I'm in the middle of a city, and all my previous cars have gotten signal from MANY MANY MANY miles away. I tried cleaning the jack for the antenna at the back of the car, but didn't help much. Actually, when I unplugged the antenna, the reception hardly changed. I got better signal depending on where I held the jack. Should I run new antenna wire? As it is, it appears like someone did it themselves, and did a good job, too, hiding it in the carpet. Also, how I adjust the jack on the stereo itself changes the signal a tad, too. Is it the stereo thats the problem?

Thanks,

--Ryan
Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Sound like the cable might be Damaged IMO. as for the antenna I never wired in the electric part of it and it works just fine where im at.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM

I got the bright idea to unplug the antenna from the back take it out, then plug it directly in to the stereo. To quickly get it out of the way, I tucked in the wiring under the seat(of course, I just went up by the floor ducts to get it into the radio from the back) and ran the antenna up by the passenger back tower. Great reception! Thanks for the advice! I read that, then got to thinking, and vioila! Now to figure out how to get the finances for new antenna wire....

--Ryan
Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I think a new wire is pretty cheap ($15?)
Old 07-26-2009, 11:18 PM

Blegh, I have no job. Ive applied at 52 places looking for one. Only reason I've had 6 cars in the last year are because of my excellent salesmen skills, trades, etc. I got this car by selling my 1992 Dodge Dynasty for $800 (I bought it for $480, and sold it in worse condition) and talking someone down from an already low $650 to $500. So that left me $300 to put into the car(Literally! $45 to fill it up!).

Anyhow, I wanted to do things to it I would enjoy, like the stereo. I also patched the T-tops. Next up is patching the hatch, patching the rusted wheel well(not nearly as bad as some on here) and laying down some metal on a small hole in the drivers floorboard, then covering it up with a floor mat. May even cut some berber carpet leftover from parents carpeting the house and make my interior carpeted again. I left in the front carpet (as it was in OK condition), but had to tear out the back carpet as it was dry-rotted to hell.

Oh, and at least 2 tires are on the list too. After all those things are fixed, if I have extra cash, I'll go in to improving things I've done. Like properly mounting my quick and dirty antenna(or re-mounting the power antenna and hooking up that wire, thanks to that new diagram) and running new cable back. Hell, the only reason I had wire to do some custom power stuff was because I tore out the "Avital Tornado" alarm system and all the wires going across the body and to the battery. And, now I have an inline fuse if I have to wire something up like that! (which was planned for the stereo's constant power, until you posted that diagram).

--Ryan

Last edited by Yzzerdd; 07-26-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Heh I know how no job goes, trying having no money at all and working on cars off things you have laying around! Maybe you can help me sell my Camaro XD

Anyways I wish you luck! And The diagram page has updated a little FYI
Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Nope... just built my own:

Ughh wheres the quality... i can make you one nismo