280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Audio for the ZX's ENTER HERE

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 PM
NisTuner

Ohio's a vacation spot!? Thxone were did you live in Ohio? Maybe you should have come up and we could have helped each other work on our Zs.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM

Lets see, I lived in Columbus where I was born, Westerville, Galapollis, Lewis Center...I think that is it. Most recently would have been on the west side of Columbus near where Central High School use to be...everyone called it the bottoms...it sucked bad but I could walk to the Capitol building and the mall in like 20-30 minutes so that was cool.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM

I bought my turbo ZX in Lewis Center Drove all the way out from VA to get it too. Took about 10 hours. Stayed in columbus for a little bit too.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I just won a nice jvc cd changer on e-bay. Can't wait to get it, and hook it up. Here is the link, and hopefully it has the device I need to hook up to my 280zx stereo. Take a look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Old 06-18-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I just won a nice jvc cd changer on e-bay. Can't wait to get it, and hook it up. Here is the link, and hopefully it has the device I need to hook up to my 280zx stereo. Take a look

Hey brother, I hate to say it but I don't see that "aftermarket" changer hooking up to the factory 280 radio...However, I have an idea!!!! Get yourself a JVC head unit and an extra radio console and remove the original to preseve it. I think it will save you alot of headaches...but it is still a pain in the but to do with the wireing in these cars. On a positive note, that changer looks smaller than my Sony 10 disc changer so if you choose to hide it in the glove box it should go.

Last edited by thxone; 06-18-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 AM

yeah WildmaN that WILL NOT work with your stock head unit. You can TRY to find an FM modulator that will work with both that changer and you head unit, but that might not prove to easy. A lot of changers come with this modulator built in...unfortunately, this one does not. On the plus side, you just purchased one of the smallest changers on the market
Old 06-19-2006, 10:16 AM
The Good Twin

Man... people still use cd changers? I prefer an MP3 ready head unit (costs the same or less than a normal head unit + changer). One CD... hundreds of songs, no trunk or glovebox unit to mount... and it's got a cool title & song display.

Of course, there are people that still buy actual cds I guess... I haven't bought a CD in 6 years. MP3's for life! Or until something better comes along... like a stereo antenna implant for your head. Then we don't even need speakers!

Last edited by NismoPick; 06-19-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:14 AM

I think the Ultimate set up would be a top quality CD head unit with dual Burr Brown D/A converters, MP3/WMA compatable AND an MP3/WMA CD changer also with dual D/A coverters in it.

I mean one MP3 disc is cool with 3-5 full albums on it at decent quality but if you have a 10-12 disc changer with the same amount of songs on each disc well then you don't have a need for CD booklets or CD holders for you visors. Let me see if I can do some math...

We will go with an average of 8 songs per album with 4 albums per disc at 192Kbps on a 10 disc changer + Head unit...that's 44 albums and 352 songs...that's almost 24 hours of music at an average of 4:00 min per track. I am ok with that. I am not the biggest fan of searching for disc while driving so this is a good solution for me.

Hey NismoPick, you say you haven't bought a CD in like 6 years...how are you getting your music? I know you are not "unethically" downloading them from the net!!! Don't you know that those millionair "rock stars" can't afford the insurance on their Bentley's because of you? LOL...I know when I download music, I am just making sure I like it before I go and buy the legit CD from the store............................................. ...but I always seem to run out of money just before I get there.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
The Evil Twin

I was figuring more like an average of 4 megs per song and an album with 10 songs average. 200 songs per MP3 CD. I know I've got maybe 5 full length CDs on each of mine but I don't copy over every single song. I leave a few out that aren't my favorites so I can fill more music on there that I like.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I went through this same problem. I solved it by putting head units with AUX inputs in all my cars...

Now my 60GB iPod and my 80GB Archos, with over 400 full albums, will plug in to any of my cars and I have all my music recorded at 320kbps, much better than the crappy 128kbps rate most songs are recorded at.

The only exception would be something you download directly from iTunes as they used commercial hardware/software so even 128kbps sounds pretty good.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:01 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I won another one today, and this one said it included the the device to run through the FM of my stereo. And to me the wiring isn't that hard in these cars. Because I have hooked up stuff before in my Z. Anyway the other reason I went after this one also, is because it is blue and silver color. Now I own 3 JVC 12 disc changers, with 2 having all their accessories. I look at it this way, if one quits, I will have another one to replace it with. And new these changers are close to $200. I have priced them, anyway here is the link to the auction I won.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:49 AM

Ok, I must say that I just changed my stock radio/antenna for a new set, and this was quite an experience. Being my first time dealing with car stereos, I got a real crash course on this area, so it was frustrating and fullfilling when it was all done.
Now, all I need to do is replace my rear speakers for some decent ones, but that's the easy part now.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by n00blar
Ok, I must say that I just changed my stock radio/antenna for a new set, and this was quite an experience. Being my first time dealing with car stereos, I got a real crash course on this area, so it was frustrating and fullfilling when it was all done.
Now, all I need to do is replace my rear speakers for some decent ones, but that's the easy part now.
That's one of the reasons I like Car Stereo work, it can be a pain in the butt, but the outcome can be really cool. I started messing with car audio back in 1989-1990 by instaling EQ power boosters in my friends cars and trucks, the first one I did was not good as I blew all the lights in my friends truck, Dash, interior, exterior...and so on....I have come a long way.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay update for you all. The FM modulator is seperate from the unit. All I have to do, is plug it into my radio antennae, and my main one. And I am good to go there. Then I hook the modulator to a memory wire, an ignition wire, and then a ground. Then after I get that all dialed in, I find the FM station on my stock stereo, that will pick up the changer. Should have it hooked tomorrow. I am bringing my workshop manual with me to work, so I can figure which wires to use for my changer. Wish me luck, and I will tell you guys the outcome.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Best of luck to ya!! Take pics!!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Thats sounds cool.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I will see about the pics, but I am pretty sure today, I will have it hooked up in my Z. Will let you guys know, and thanks for the comments.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:56 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay update guys, no pics yet. But I temp rigged my changer to make sure it worked. And it works great, and as for the mounting. I had to take the glovebox out, and then I put a inside piece of a broken one. Like the one with the cupholders. And layed it flat it there, then wedged the changer in that spot. Of course I had to take the latch ,and light out of the glove box to put it in. And I still need to figure out where I want to put my FM modulator. I have a couple of places where, just not sure quite yet. One place I thought was inside the ashtray area. And then maybe somehow put it in, and be able to close the ashtray still. That would be cool, still brainstorming on that one yet.

My changer picked up on 87.7FM on my stock stereo. I am stoked about that, totally a sleeper stereo. Exactly what I wanted all along. Of course down the road, an amp between the seats, and 8" subs where the stock rear speakers go. And I am using my stock speaker grilles, so you can't tell they are there. As for the amp, I will make a custom cover, to put over it, when I park my Z. That way you wont be able to see it. No advertising for me, just a mainly stock look in side, minus the little trimmings, I have here and there.

Okay anyway, that is all for now, sorry for the rambling. My head is just flooding with ideas. I can't wait to hook up that changer in my Z. Totally will be stoked on that one. And I will take pics, when I mount everything.

Last edited by WildmaN; 06-29-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM

Man that sounds really cool, glad to hear it worked. How big or small is that modulator? I know even with my huge 10 disc changer I had some room behind it in the glove box. You work on those pics buddy.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

The modulator is only maybe 2-3 inches long.(square shape) As for the install, it will have to wait until tomorrow. I don't feel like screwing with it, and cutting my time close to get ready for my last day of work for the week. And then I am off 5 days for the 4th woohoo! Dont' worry I will get pics up, as soon, as I install the changer, and such.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 PM

Thats small enough...you may be able to secure it to the rear of the changer with double sided tape...3M of course..good luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright the moment you all have been patiently waiting for. 4 hours and a PITA to mount. Harder than I thought but worth it. Here are some pics for you, and this is not the permanent hookup yet. I still would like to hook the memory wire to a constant. But otherwise I hit random with 12 cd's inside. And the changer plays DJ, it is kind of cool. Anyway here you go. And yes I know it is still rough, still doing little thing here and there enjoy.

Also it works off of 88.1 FM, and the modulator is on top of the cd changer hidden from view. It is kind of wedged in the inside top of the dash. I also had to take the glovebox completely out to mount the changer where I wanted it. And yes I have a perfectly good glovebox lid I need to paint, and then I will mount that soon. For now I can still use the broken lid, to keep it out of sight, and it closes on the inside top latch.

Last edited by WildmaN; 07-03-2006 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Doesn't post much...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Rod.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:54 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Lookin' good!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:25 AM

Hey man, took long enough...lol j/k. Looking good. Man that looks tight in there, as does mine. I was able to use the inside of the glove box though...I had to cut the top, back and part of the sides to get it to work so all I was left with was the bottom and most of the sides up to the front, looks like a square U....to look at the glove box when it is open you wouldn't know the glove box was modified...if that helps you when you permanantly mount things you could try that, I can send you a pic or two if you need some, to better get the idea. I like how it matches the color of your interior.

Quick Reply: Audio for the ZX's ENTER HERE