280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Awe Hail no!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Doesn't post much...

Awe Hail no!

So for those of you who are mislead into thinking that Southern California is always warm, bright and sunny... IT ISN'T!

I got caught in a freakish hail storm from hell today while driving the Z... NOT GOOD! It wasn't your average hail storm either. It was great big fat hail stones coming down in sheets with a 25 mile per hour wind behind them. It made for some interesting moments behind the wheel to say the least. I wonder how well my paint held up? I guess I'll get a good look at it if and when the Sun comes out again. We haven't seen it for a while now...

Rod.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:48 PM

yeah, I didn't the super-hail chunks, but I had to walk a half mile in the rain and cold wind. I was walking down a pier, too. So, the wind and cold was amplified.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:48 PM

Yeah I remember that it was mostly good weather but when the weather did decide to act up it did it with a vengeance. It's like it saved up all it's aggression for the couple of storms a year. Nothing bad up here yet, but I'm a little more inland than SD too. I hope your car is alright.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Doesn't post much...

I also especially enjoyed the leaky t-tops today . Saw a tractor trailer nail a jetta and jacknife on the 805 in Chula Vista... that couldn't have been good. I really liked the sound of my tires crushing the giant ice chunks as I rolled over them though. That was way cool. We're supposed to be in for a really nasty weekend here. My house is about 300 feet below what the snow level is supposed to be... I'm gonna be pissed if it snows here.

Rod.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:26 PM

That sucks bro. I hate storms. We have clouds and a little snow and it has been cold and windy all day. So hopefully we don't get hit to bad. What ever SoCal gets Vegas gets. And keep that Z covered tonight.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

HA! Try comin up here to the SF Bay Area. You know they say the coldest winter you'll ever see is a summer in SF . . . .Its been friggin chilly here, snowed a little, winds in the 35-40mph range . . . mostly hail and sleet though.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:54 PM

Last time it rained pretty good in SD (I think it was like 2 or 3 weeks ago) I saw a truck roll on the 163. Good thing he was on the other side of the divider. I was hydroplaining like crazy on the 5 this morning. The water was just puddling up everywhere.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Big Poppa

I WAS SUPPOST TO GET MY CAR FROM STORAGE THURSDAY, BUT WE HAD A FREAK SNOWSTORM HERE SO THATS POSTPONED TO SATURDAY. I WANT MY CAR BACK
Old 03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

oh boo hoo. freaking SD drivers. OMG somebody spilled a soda on the road, what do we do!!!!! its slippery!!!!!! lol. come up to the seattle area you babies. and joe, you big pansy, "oh poor me i had to walk down the pier in the rain" boo hooo hooo. really though, i miss driving in SD, everyone went at LEAST the speed limit. up here i get stuck behind 4 lanes of people who think that 60 means 50
Old 03-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Doesn't post much...

In a little update for ya all, last night at about 8:30 PM local time... I great big *** lightning bolt hit the transformer box RIGHT OUTSIDE MY HOUSE! and knocked out power to my neighborhood until this morning. That was crazy! I was just getting ready to start shutting down electronic stuff and unplugging things from the wall when it happened too. I knew something bad was about to happen. Scared the buhjeezis outta me! That **** hit no more than 30 feet from my front door. That is also twice in the last six months we almost got hit. My neighbors Palm tree went up in flames from a lightning hit a few months ago. Weird thing is... we NEVER used to get lightning storms here. Maybe once every couple of years we would get a little, but now it seems like every storm we get produces lightning and thunder. It's the damn Global Warming I tell ya!

Rod.

Last edited by RodMoyes; 03-11-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:00 AM

It's your electrifying Z It just draws the lightening in but has the power to divert it atleast 30 feet away
Old 03-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
oh boo hoo. freaking SD drivers. OMG somebody spilled a soda on the road, what do we do!!!!! its slippery!!!!!! lol. come up to the seattle area you babies. and joe, you big pansy, "oh poor me i had to walk down the pier in the rain" boo hooo hooo. really though, i miss driving in SD, everyone went at LEAST the speed limit. up here i get stuck behind 4 lanes of people who think that 60 means 50
Hey Dave, I don't want to here it. I am from Cleveland, so I know what weather is (AKA a few feet of snow OVER NIGHT). There would be days where you had to dig a drift just to find the roof of your car. This weather here in SD this winter is crazy for SoCal. Yeah, it rained a lot last winter and was windy. But, it wasn't in the 50s, windy, hail, and crazy T-storms. That just isn't normal for SD. Plus, people down here don't know that they have to slow down a bit when it gets like this. I had a guy in a truck zip by me this morning. I could see that he was hydroplaining and didn't have complete control. But, apperently he had a really important thing to get to that it warranted putting everybody else on the roads lives in danger.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Doesn't post much...

Round 2

Here's a shot of the street in front of my house today after round 2 went through...
Old 03-11-2006, 04:39 PM

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Seriously, this isn't normal.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Bleach is my Hero

There was ish like that here in PHOENIX AZ.. the end is coming
Old 03-11-2006, 05:29 PM
The Good Twin

We're gettin that storm now... the Wasatch mountains are supposed to get 24 - 36 inches of snow over this weekend. Can't wait till spring!
Old 03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Doesn't post much...

I heard today on the news that Phoenix just went 5.5 months without measurable precipitation... that's crazy!

What's crazy about the freakishly cold and wet weather around here is that I'm only 11 miles from the frickin' Pacific Ocean at my house. The high temp today was 43... that's right... 43 damn degress! WTF?

Rod.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Big Poppa

Your High Temp Means Shorts And A T-shirt To Me, Try 32 Minus Outside My Place Right Now. Try Weather In Canada, Its All Of That Plus More Sometimes
Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

GREAT SCOTT! ITS THAT COLD IN SUNNY, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA?! Man . . . . and you had lightning strikes right in front of your house. I can only imagine what the weather patterns will be like ten years from now
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 AM

We have had 5 days of rain and storms here.most of Indiana is flooded...again.2 more days of rain comin'.Indiana weather sucks.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:06 PM

I got a cold. I've been sneezing and coughing, and my damn nose is driving me crazy. My throat is all jacked up. I hate the cold. Maybe the world is coming to a end.. I say that because this is my 1st real cold.