280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

The Bitter End

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

If you sell your Z I'd buy it lol
As for the idle problem maybe its in the dizzy? There could be shaft play and it might make it idle rough, Just an Idea tho
Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 AM
The Good Twin

No egr... just a block off plate. PCV is brand new (well... 400 miles new). Dizzy has no shaft play, but maybe the CAS is going out. I have a spare dizzy for my other turbo swap so I'll swap that in as well as a spare Z31 CAS. Other than that I'm at a loss.

I've even installed the fuel temp sensor & quadruple checked the ecu wiring @ the plugs.

BlueKitsune... I don't think you're ready for the asking price.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by NismoPick
BlueKitsune... I don't think you're ready for the asking price.
Ya I know lol Nice day dream tho XD Anyways as for your Z problem I have no clue, Z31 ECU and Turbo are something I really have no clue about lol
Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Externally Wastegated

Do you have a spare ecu? Double check to make sure yours isn't going bad. Is the idle rough even when warm? What is your vacuum reading? Where does your idle sort of sit at? I get idle issues if I idle my Z under 750rpm. It seems happiest at 800.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

hey i'll do a motorswap for you!! I'll have it back and running for you, i'm thinking by.....2020?
edit: 2023
edit: 2045
edit: 30XX?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
Do you have a spare ecu? Double check to make sure yours isn't going bad. Is the idle rough even when warm? What is your vacuum reading? Where does your idle sort of sit at? I get idle issues if I idle my Z under 750rpm. It seems happiest at 800.
I have an 84 & 85... same issues on both. Though I've only run the diagnostics codes on the 85. My idle sits @ about 17hg.

Idle is really rough when cold, mellows when warm. I know my air regulator works fine because after the hard start, it idles @ 1100rpm, then drops to about 700. The huge issue is jumping on the throttle when cold, it drops way lean and backfires out the intake.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 PM
The Evil Twin

The huge issue is jumping on the throttle when cold, it drops way lean and backfires out the intake.
Thats exactly what the stock AFM does on the 280ZX all the time.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
Thats exactly what the stock AFM does on the 280ZX all the time.
Hehe I wondered about that. Mine was all fubar when I got it, jerk had the acceleration throttle enrichment switch stuck on, and screwed up the AFM to fix it. So, because this engine's coming out anyway I wasn't going to go buy an afm, so I've been just sorta dialing this one in some. Got it good enough, passes emissions, but it's a little balky cold. Hasn't really backfired, but I don't jump on it hard cold either.

Nice to know I'm probably not all that far off.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
The Good Twin

Too bad I'm running the Z31 MAF then eh?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:55 PM
The Evil Twin

Too bad I'm running the Z31 MAF then eh?
Exactly. That's why it sucks that your ECU is doing this. The Z31 was supposed to be an upgrade and get rid of these lower rpm throttle problems.

I just live with it. Drive gentle while its cold and don't expect any good power under 3k rpm. I think at 3200 the 280 ECU goes into open loop. Thats actually when it starts to run better at WOT what a joke! I can't wait for the Z31 upgrade. As long as it runs good when warm I think I'll be happy. I've got my truck to drive during the worst couple winter months.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
Exactly. That's why it sucks that your ECU is doing this. The Z31 was supposed to be an upgrade and get rid of these lower rpm throttle problems.

I just live with it. Drive gentle while its cold and don't expect any good power under 3k rpm. I think at 3200 the 280 ECU goes into open loop. Thats actually when it starts to run better at WOT what a joke! I can't wait for the Z31 upgrade. As long as it runs good when warm I think I'll be happy. I've got my truck to drive during the worst couple winter months.
That sounds about right. With all the jiggling I've done on mine, the one thing that seems consistent is that pretty much regardless of whatever I'm screwing with, above 3~3.5k, it gets with it.
Most of those old barn door blowing in the wind systems I've dealt with could be made to do SOMETHING right, but could NEVER be made to do EVERYTHING right.
Personally, I can't wait for the EEC IV upgrade.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

Man, that is so funny...I was just gonna ask you guys about the low idle problem in cold starts...mine just started doing that. I had the AFM rebuild and was working fine for a about a month or two.
This is my weekend car so I only start on the weekend and sometimes once on the weekday, the car does not even warms up and the idle starts shaking but once the car is warm it is just perfect. I guess the s130 people have to just live with this if we want if all stock.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by njgheewala
Man, that is so funny...I was just gonna ask you guys about the low idle problem in cold starts...mine just started doing that. I had the AFM rebuild and was working fine for a about a month or two.
This is my weekend car so I only start on the weekend and sometimes once on the weekday, the car does not even warms up and the idle starts shaking but once the car is warm it is just perfect. I guess the s130 people have to just live with this if we want if all stock.
Well, we're talking about backfiring and being balky cold, YOUR talking about a failure to elevate idle speed cold.(which mine has too, could care less, it keeps runnin) Most likely all your problem is the cold idle air regulator, they have a tendency to get clogged up and fail. They also cost like 75$, so many(like me, and you so far) don't replace them.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

wow. I must be damn lucky... I've still got the stock EFI system and I have NO problems! No hard starts, no lower power loss, no rough idle, good power though the RPMS
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Get outta my way.

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
wow. I must be damn lucky... I've still got the stock EFI system and I have NO problems! No hard starts, no lower power loss, no rough idle, good power though the RPMS
And no turbo lolz
Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Dunkin' Donutz

Originally Posted by bojo68
Well, we're talking about backfiring and being balky cold, YOUR talking about a failure to elevate idle speed cold.(which mine has too, could care less, it keeps runnin) Most likely all your problem is the cold idle air regulator, they have a tendency to get clogged up and fail. They also cost like 75$, so many(like me, and you so far) don't replace them.
Oh! must have missed something in reading, sorry but does give me something to start with...I also have starting problem (does not start one first crank EVER! always requires a second crank). Thanks for the help!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
The Good Twin

< double-you-tee-eff >

I found at least part of the problem... the same damn lowest ecu plug is still having connection issues. I can wiggle the ground wires (which I had re-soldered when I did my Z31T ecu swap) and the car would almost die. I think it's the actual pins inside the plug. So... off to the Pick n Pull tomorrow to cut some Z31 ecu plugs. Good thing I have the day off.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Über User

omg dont you hate that crap? same **** with my turbo swap. WHY!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

< double-you-tee-eff >

I found at least part of the problem... the same damn lowest ecu plug is still having connection issues. I can wiggle the ground wires (which I had re-soldered when I did my Z31T ecu swap) and the car would almost die. I think it's the actual pins inside the plug. So... off to the Pick n Pull tomorrow to cut some Z31 ecu plugs. Good thing I have the day off.
I hear ya, intermittent electrical crap is enough to drive ya batty.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Hey nismo, you wanna trade me for my bike?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Mhinrichs
Hey nismo, you wanna trade me for my bike?
Hum... what bike is it again?

Today I swapped the lowest ecu connector w/ one from an 87 Z31. The ground pins were toast, and looking at the schematic, those are the grounds for most of the sensors. Well, that fixed the rough idle (idles like a freaking champ), but it's still got the hard start, and the same ecu codes are being displayed.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
eff good grammar

still running a cold start injector?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM
The Good Twin

The L28ET doesn't have a cold start injector. I'm pretty sure it's not getting enough spark at cold start (that's what the ecu code is telling me anyway).
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 AM

The L28ET doesn't have a cold start injector. I'm pretty sure it's not getting enough spark at cold start (that's what the ecu code is telling me anyway).
You probably know this, but some of those computers have long memory's, and it's not impossible that what your reading is codes from before your ground fix.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

That's what I was thinking too, but I google'd it and I didn't see anything about resetting the ECU trouble codes so I didn't ask... Assuming the negative on the battery terminal was pulled before repair (and I'm sure he did that) that would should cleared out the ECU codes...