280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

burnout of my '82 280ZX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM

burnout of my '82 280ZX

Hi everyone ! I went out to do a little burnout yesterday cause it was time for some new tires. I just wanted to share the video with other ZX drivers !

ENJOY !!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...A43C58DEBC.htm

Old 04-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Damn. Worlds longest burn out in a 280zx
Old 04-09-2006, 01:16 PM

hahah sweet
Old 04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Big Poppa

trust in a fellow french canuck to do the worlds longest 280zx burnout minute 23, wow, maybee you didnt need new tires before that, but you do now. tabernack!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 02:21 PM

That was awesome!! I was wondering if the right tire would spin on our cars. I have an automatic and when I power brake it, both times I have done it, it only spins the left tire. I know my rear is an R180, is the R200 really that much better, or do I need to bring the rpm's up higher than 2,500 when I do power brake?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
That was awesome!! I was wondering if the right tire would spin on our cars. I have an automatic and when I power brake it, both times I have done it, it only spins the left tire. I know my rear is an R180, is the R200 really that much better, or do I need to bring the rpm's up higher than 2,500 when I do power brake?
R180's and R200's are both open diffs in the 240 - 280zx's. R200's are said to be stronger, but it won't make a difference in the "one tire fire" topic. If you're not turning, both tires will likely burn evenly, but around a corner, the tire w/ less grip will obviously be the one making the smoke.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Big Poppa

otherwise know as gimpy drifting
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 PM

Yeah this car get sick around corners and slides a whole lot different then my RS Camaro did. So how do I get it to smoke both tires in a straight line? Is that where the LSD R200 comes into play or will mine do that? That video was way to impressive and I really want to be able to smoke the rubbers off with some force.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:21 PM

To be honest I do not know very much about rearends on cars or chicks...but is what I have a decent rear and should I even worry about changing it? What is the difference between open and LSD rears?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Whether you have an R180 or an R200 you'll need an LSD if you want serious grip (or to get both tires to spin the same). The difference between an open diff and and LSD is essentially that the open diff's axles are not locked together at any time. With an LSD the axles will lock together when the situation calls for it to provide grip to both wheels. During normal driving conditions however, an LSD will act just as an open diff. An LSD is also safer than an open diff. as you have more control over the car. As far as the mechanical differences between an open diff and LSD you'll have to look that up. Theres too much involved in explaining all that and there are too many types of diffs to cover it all in a thread.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:02 PM

Oh, and as long as you've got that stock slushbox in there you wont need the strength of the R200
Old 04-09-2006, 05:09 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

You don't need an LSD unless you plan to race or drift your car.

You can replace the R180 in your car with an R200 + axels + drive shaft input flange from another 280ZX or a 300ZX.

The only ZX's that came with an R200 clutch LSD were the 87.5 to 89 300ZX Turbo. Junkyard opportunities for these are becoming very rare.

You're better off getting a new LSD center section for your R180 from http://www.differentials.com or http://www.reiderracing.com

They both carry the Precision Gear Power Brute LSD which is made by the same company for Nissan Motor Sports (NISMO) as it is for Precision Gear.

It'll run you about $600 for the center section and another $600 for installation by an experienced technician. It is imperative that the pre-load be properly set by someone that knows what they're doing.

Good luck!
LWW
Old 04-09-2006, 05:16 PM

ive burned both tires i dont know what i have in the back but i remmember seeing 2 lines after i did a peel out...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:18 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
An LSD is also safer than an open diff. as you have more control over the car.
Huh? Come on J. That may be a good argument with the wife on why you need to spend the money on that shiny new LSD, but in reality, the peg leg open diff is actually safer.

When you loose traction to only one wheel, as with an open diff, you still have three wheels turning at the same speed as the road, moving in the same direction and your less likely to loose control.

It's easier to power slide the car with an LSD. For people that don't know how to control a power slide, that means it's easier to throw the car into an uncontrolled spin.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Skully
ive burned both tires i dont know what i have in the back but i remmember seeing 2 lines after i did a peel out...
Under the right conditions, if you can keep the traction levels equal between the two wheels and you're going in a straight line, you can get an open diff to spin both sides simultaneously.

It's not that hard to do, just keep your line straight and make sure there isn't any loose surface under only one wheel. Once you get them going, you can usually keep 'em spinning.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Cool, that clears up alot on the diff for me, thanks.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Big Poppa

in some kinds of racing on some tracks having an open diff actually yeilds better times around the track, dont forget it takes extra power to turn two wheels around a corner than one. specially a tight corner, you also run a greater risk of a slide in racing with the lsd, thats why its the the only way to go when drifting.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Safer on an icey highway with a retard behind the wheel, sure. But when it comes to racing being able to feel the car and it's limits is safer. And open diff will break traction with far less warning than an LSD will. That, IMO, is a safer car. Besides, letting off the gas puts all 4 wheels back at road speed. Although I have seen retards who think flooring the accelerator is a great way to get out of a fishtail Ever been stuck at a stop sign up hill in the ice? See how safe that is with an open diff when you're just spinning the wheel on the ice while the other one just proceeds to do nothing as you roll back toward the car behind you If some guy that thinks the epitomy of performance driving is a donut want's to go out and get an LSD and spin himself out then thats on him (not an implication toward anybody on this forum). I wouldn't waste my money on an LSD for a street car that I dont plan to race though. Especially just to do a burnout.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
in some kinds of racing on some tracks having an open diff actually yeilds better times around the track, dont forget it takes extra power to turn two wheels around a corner than one. specially a tight corner, you also run a greater risk of a slide in racing with the lsd, thats why its the the only way to go when drifting.
But you gotta remember an LSD's is adjustable for break away torque and so an LSD can be configured to work with the particular track. An LSD is not a set it and forget it deal when it comes to racing. It needs to be set according to the layout of the track.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Big Poppa

you cant set them all though. but that would be the absolute best. then theres the cost involved, id love to get one but ouch.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:46 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
But you gotta remember an LSD's is adjustable for break away torque and so an LSD can be configured to work with the particular track. An LSD is not a set it and forget it deal when it comes to racing. It needs to be set according to the layout of the track.
I agree, but 'thxone' isn't planning to use it on the track and probably won't be re-adjusting the pre-load every couple of months...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:13 PM

That is true, I will be using the car as a daily driver, but I do not treat the gas pedal very nice all the time. Sometimes if I am in a bad mood I will go for a drive but if the car does not get more angry then me (i.e. scare me a little) I may just get more mad. Some of the places I like to go and drive in the middle of the night are far away from people or traffic so I can do some spirited driving around S-turns and straight aways and really get a feel for the car. If the car keeps me on my toes well what do you know, I am not thinking about a bad day or a pain in the butt girlfriend or whatever got me down in the first place. I also like to goto these places with my friend with the 1980 2+2 5 speed and do some driving. His car is what made me want a ZX of my own. But right at the moment my car is not very angry so I want to **** it off a bit...you know rearend, cam, header, stuff like that. If you don't go out and have some fun whats the point of being alive? I know it's not working so you can buy a bitchy girlfriend things she says she wants then yells at you for not getting it sooner when her dumb a#$ could just go get a job herself and help out around the house insted of sleeping with your friend cause your never around cause she wants you to work to buy her stuff......I AM GONNA GO DRIVE NOW....
Old 04-09-2006, 06:49 PM

guys i wish i could show you the vid of my scion tc doing a burn out both tires spinning for i would say 45 sec and that is an open diff you can get both to spin!

Its on my cell phone so you guys cant see it sorry.

I do have a 300zx by the way guys just so you didnt think i was thread hopping 85 coupe under the knife right now maybe ill post some pics if the gallery worked

Last edited by machsound; 04-09-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Big Poppa

dude you need a new gf
Old 04-09-2006, 07:55 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

^^ second that!

Quick Reply: burnout of my '82 280ZX