280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Smile Can I do this?

Hello, this is my first time posting on the forum. I recently purchased a 1982 Datsun 280zx and am loving it. Heres my question, It is a non turbo version, and it currently a 3 speed automatic. I would like to know if I could turn it into a turbo version and install a digital dash and install a 5 speed.

Can I put a turbo in? and is there anything i need to do? I assume its not going to be just a drop in routine; does anyone know how much it would cost.
Datsun Nissan Z 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX Turbo Turbocharger w/ Wastegate *Rebuilt* | eBay

That is the link i think i will purchase a turbo from.

And I would love a digital dash, is there anything i would need to change? sensors? etc.

I currently have a 5 speed but am in the process if having it rebuilt.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by yeahididthat
I would like to know if I could turn it into a turbo version and install a digital dash and install a 5 speed.
Yes, it can be done, and is done all the time (this is probably the most common question on the Z car forums). It's done so often that many people have made write-ups and how-to threads.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 AM

It is possible for a turbo setup, but u cant forget the other essentials it needs to run a turbo, such as intercooler, different exhaust manifold and down pipe, and from automatic to standard is going to be pricey and bit of work to, not sure the price range, it can very what u want, im new here to, but from what now it can be done but with a lot money and time. I own a 1983 280zx 5 speed manual non-turbo, i am looking to put a turbo soon in the future, but the transmission change, im glad mine is a standard, but good luck dude, i hope it all turns out really well.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM

I was driving it home tonight and for some reason it didnt want to lower gears

when you first start the car and put it in drive its in 1st, well anyways you get to higher in speed 40-55mph its either in 2nd or 3rd no problem. but heres where im scratching my head when i come to a stoplight and it turns green its like its still in 2nd or 3rd when i take off because its very slow, and when i take my foot off the gas and reapply pressure it basically just wants to rev instead of actually drive normally.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by yeahididthat
I was driving it home tonight and for some reason it didnt want to lower gears

when you first start the car and put it in drive its in 1st, well anyways you get to higher in speed 40-55mph its either in 2nd or 3rd no problem. but heres where im scratching my head when i come to a stoplight and it turns green its like its still in 2nd or 3rd when i take off because its very slow, and when i take my foot off the gas and reapply pressure it basically just wants to rev instead of actually drive normally.
Sounds like a transmission problem, it could be the torque converter. Im not an expert on this stuff but thats what it sounds like me. Have you changed the clutch or the flywheel lately, it can also be that to. I'm not sure, but make another thread on here about your problem, you should get a reply really soon. I hoped this helped.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I really wanted a digital dash until I got a car that had one. Now I pull the digital dash out and put the analong one in it's place!

You can swap all this stuff in. It's within the capability of most humans if you take the time to read and think about it if you've never done it before. If you do it yourself it's as cheap as a parts car that has all the stuff you want to swap over.... More than one forum member has picked up turbo parts cars for under $1000 frequently.

One thing I would recomend if you do the swap is to swap the rear end or just the whole sub frame with the diff and CV setup. It's a much stronger and more reliable setup but most people don't think about swaping it over.