280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Clutch time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:42 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by duckyz
So.... Nothing about the "Datsun Tool", huh?
I imagine it is what Blue called it. A pilot bushing puller. I didn't know they called it a Datsun tool in the manual. I kind of figured out how to change the clutch myself. With a little help on here of course.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Big Poppa

to change any pilot bushing, simply put grease in the pilot bushing hole, i mean lots. then get a dowel or something the exact size of the inside of the bushing, then hammer on it. the grease goes behind the pilot bushing and pushes it out from behind. make sure your dowel is long enough that it will allow the bushing to slide out on it. otherwise your attempt is futile
Old 10-09-2010, 12:03 PM

I have a puller... what I'm referring to is on page 177 (Fig 8.7) of the Datsun 280ZX Haynes guide.

"A pilot bushing puller, such as the Datsun Tool shown, is needed to remove the pilot bushing (Sec. 11)."

Looks like a large socket could be used, but the guide doesn't say what size.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 AM

Well... clutch is in and works fine. I was just a nimrod and forgot to bleed the clutch line and blew a hole in the hose on the way home (did the job at a friend's house). Had to use up one of my free tows from AAA and wasn't ten minutes from my house.

Can you just buy the hose, or is that one you have to make? I'm sore and tired from f-ing with that tranny and don't have the energy to get back out there and look. I will in the morning, just not right now.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:56 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

The hose in the slave cylinder? Or someplace else? I am not sure if you can get that hose. But it might be possible. I never managed to ever blow it out. Let us know what you find out in the morning. And maybe we can help you further. Good luck
Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Good news: Not a hose. Popped the boot off the slave cylinder. Also found that the spring that holds the fork onto that ball in the bell housing popped (the one that holds the release bearing) off. Clipped back in place.

Bad news: As of right now, I can't get any pressure in the system. Bleeding unsuccessful. Going to go find a pressure kit and see if that helps.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah you probably have quite a bit of air in the clutch lines. Hopefully the pressure kit will work. Keep us posted, and good luck.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Bigger problem than I thought. I put in the new slave cylinder and the fork is in the "release" position. Shined a flashlight up in that little hole... The release bearing came off the fork. I've been out there all damn day, even called out from work to try to fix it from the outside. No deal. Gotta pull the tranny again and fix it. Good thing I carpool to work.

Biggest problem is doing this myself. I'm not 21 anymore and yesterday kicked my ***...and I had help. I guess I need to put on my "big girl panties" and hit this on my next day off, which is Sunday.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ That sucks man, sorry to hear that. If you were closer. I would be more than happy to give you a hand. I have done clutches in Z's twice now. And I can hold my own. Good luck man, and hope you get it fixed.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM

off the fork...

If i remember correctly, there is the release bearing, which is around the metal rod that goes into the clutch zone, and the clutch fork. Around the release bearing is a clip that hooks onto the fork to keep it connected.

Is it just that you cannot reach the bearing, or something?

You needn't drop the transmission, just pull the driveshaft and unbolt the bellhousing, the slave cylinder, and the transmission mount and pull it back enough to get your hand in and maneuver it around with the fork and stick it back on. Tranny stays in the car and should be easy, but a bit time consuming.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 PM

That's my plan. I also need to make sure it stays in place after putting it back together. My guess is that the spring that helps keep the bearing in place popped off and is laying at the bottom of the bell housing.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Well what it is is that when putting the transmission back in, you may have moved the clutch fork. IF you move it more than like half an inch, it will come out of the guide on the bearing. Also, there is not a spring. It is a thick wire that is similar in concept to a C-clamp. It goes around the bearing, and the two indentions in the clutch fork's forked area is where it rests. Thats what holds it there, and there are also two slits in the outer edge of the fork like a big hair pin that keep it connected to a ball. Again, if you move it more than the slave cylinder normally would, your SOL and its a PAIN to do when its all bolted in.

I cna get some pics mocked up if youd like
Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 PM

Yeah, we wrestled that tranny back and forth pretty hard to get it close enough to get a bolt to catch a thread.

Hopefully, that tranny jack will help with the angle and it won't be so damn difficult.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Ugh... once again, sore as a $2 *****.

Got the release bearing back in place, still no pressure on it. I'm thinking I have the wrong pressure plate. The spring forks don't seem to be making sufficient contact to the release bearing.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

did you bleed your slave cylinder? by the way what part of the bay are you in DuckyZ?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 PM

Yes sir, I bled it out. I live in Pleasanton, right down 580 from you it appears. Just off of Santa Rita Rd.

One of the guys from "another site" (no, not z-car.com) whom I trust completely, said I may need a longer release bearing retainer as the after market ones are too short. If that is the case, where the hell do I get one? I mean, shouldn't have the clutch kit came with the correct length? Then...to top it off... how do I return said item when it has about 40 miles on it?

It's getting really old pulling this tranny out just to see that it doesn't work again. ...and yesterday was a little soggy.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:28 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

That sucks man. Sounds like the person at the parts place. Gave you the wrong clutch kit. When I got mine at Auto Zone. It fit like it should. I would give you a hand if I could. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by duckyz
Yes sir, I bled it out. I live in Pleasanton, right down 580 from you it appears. Just off of Santa Rita Rd.
Dublinaton! I've spent many hours of my life stuck on that 580

Last time I was in the bay area, they were extending the bart lines through fremont and to SFO. I am assuming they finished that in the last 7 years! How about the new bay bridge, that up yet?

A note on a comment before, you can replace the rubber clutch fluid line. I found some on rockauto.com they were really cheap
Old 10-23-2010, 02:13 AM

The hose is ok on the line. Just gotta get more pressure on the slave cylinder because the release bearing sleeve is too short.

On that note...

ICE!!! You rock brutha! Thanks a million for finding the part. Just wish today could have worked out. Still trying to recruit help for Monday, but it's looking bleak. I will have next Friday off...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

no problem man... next friday works for me.. like i said should only take 3 hours at the most to get it done....
Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Right on Ice, get his Z back on the road. I have faith in you.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 AM

Well... another twist in the saga that is my work schedule. I have tomorrow (Sunday) and Monday off. No Friday.

Looks like I'm getting a second floor jack and some stands and wrestling that damn tranny on my own. I should get it done in about 18 hours.....
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Ok. Too rainy to get the job done yesterday.

Today, I got up early and tackled it myself. It took me awhile, but I got it done. Quick test drive around the neighborhood, and all is right in the world. The clutch isn't spongy, reacts well, and shifting is nice and smooth.

The hard part will be driving like a granny for the next 500 miles.

Thanks Ice!!! I owe you one!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Just so everyone can see the difference, the release bearing and sleeve that came with the clutch kit is on the right. The one Ice was kind enough to give me (the one I needed) is on the left.

Name:  RBs.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  127.0 KB
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

that should do the trick.. wish i could help you out installing it this weekend...

Quick Reply: Clutch time!