280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Cracked the crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Cracked the crank pulley

Ok I unscrewed the crank pulley bolt minus a 5-6 threads to keep it stable

Put on the pulley puller, started cranking, thought it was working then the pulley cracked.

what did I do wrong?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM
The Good Twin

Did the pulley hit the bolt?
Were you using the top of the bolt as the push/pull point for the puller?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 AM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
Ok I unscrewed the crank pulley bolt minus a 5-6 threads to keep it stable

Put on the pulley puller, started cranking, thought it was working then the pulley cracked.

what did I do wrong?
sounds like you cracked the pulley to me

jm, idk why people use pulley pullers, if you just pull STRAIGHT off, and maybe losen it up my hitting it with a rubber mallet, it slides off really easy. I never use tools like that because of things like this, your hands are the pretty reliable...and i say YOUR because mine definately aren't. Every time I've removed my pulley ( twice) it has come off with the losen-with-hammer and pull straight off method. Put a picture up of the crack!!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by thetremendousti
sounds like you cracked the pulley to me

jm, idk why people use pulley pullers, if you just pull STRAIGHT off, and maybe losen it up my hitting it with a rubber mallet, it slides off really easy. I never use tools like that because of things like this, your hands are the pretty reliable...and i say YOUR because mine definately aren't. Every time I've removed my pulley ( twice) it has come off with the losen-with-hammer and pull straight off method. Put a picture up of the crack!!
Yeah I pulled the bitch right off with a mallet and my hands... stupid *** pulley puller.

But I have another problem...

I bought a 79 pulley thinking it would be the same as the 81...

Nope. 79 has 13 counter balance holes, the 81 has 6

Is this going to shake my crank to pieces?

Name:  DSCN1818.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  166.0 KB

This is that learning curve that saves you alot of money when you're older I guess..

EDIT: also anyone know what kind of metal these are made of? Im thinking about getting the ag mech class at school to weld my old pulley back together and clean it up. Im not spending another $40 on this POS.

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 03-13-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM
The Good Twin

I thought the balance holes were to balance the pulley... no? The internal rotating mass should be balanced separately.

I'm pretty sure they are cast steel.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM

Damn man, that sucks. When I did it I pulled the pulley bolt all the way out and then used the pulley remover (Didn't realize u could do it with a rubber mallet lol) and mine came out just fine. Minus the timing cover of course lmao
Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I thought the balance holes were to balance the pulley... no? The internal rotating mass should be balanced separately.

I'm pretty sure they are cast steel.
So why the difference?

I was thinking what you were but we both may be wrong.

EDIT: I was informed that those were in fact balancing holes (like the opposite of wheel weights) and every pulley is different so it has different balancing holes. Awesome!

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 03-13-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
The Good Twin

Frickin told ya!

Who "informed" you?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Frickin told ya!

Who "informed" you?
roger.svoboda on HBZ lol
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
Yeah I pulled the bitch right off with a mallet and my hands... stupid *** pulley puller.

But I have another problem...

I bought a 79 pulley thinking it would be the same as the 81...

Nope. 79 has 13 counter balance holes, the 81 has 6

Is this going to shake my crank to pieces?

This is that learning curve that saves you alot of money when you're older I guess..

EDIT: also anyone know what kind of metal these are made of? Im thinking about getting the ag mech class at school to weld my old pulley back together and clean it up. Im not spending another $40 on this POS.

Hey 2 by 2, trust me the lessons never end: Heres a few that I learned from my rebuild which I'm sure you will want to know, since it can't hurt:

NEVER hot tank aluminum parts, I hot tanked my pistons and front cover simultaneously bye 280 dollars. Green pistons and a green front cover. It oxidized and well just dont do it.

2. DON'T take your cam towers off, they are factory aligned. Just push the rocker arms down with a big screwdriver and take the cam out if you have to do any head-work.

3. NEVER trust any P.O's words i.e. "this head is brand spankin new!"

4. Never buy from pierre'z

5. NEVER BUY FROM PIERRE'Z

6. Prime your oil pump ANY time you take it out, DONT forget.

7. ANYTHING with springs in the assembly should be re-read and approached with über caution because those things can shoot things in places you don't want. Valves, tensioners, distributors, AFMs, anything with a spring!!

Whatever you do, work slowly and just think I'm pretty sure that can be the solution to every problem I've ever had, its just I never did a mental play-by-play the little things i.e. removing a simple cam tower can end up costing you days in the long run and hundreds of dollars. If you have ANY doubt, ask someone if you have NO doubt then still ask someone.

just my $.04 It really does suck learning but if it helps someone out there then i guess its worth it!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by thetremendousti
Hey 2 by 2, trust me the lessons never end: Heres a few that I learned from my rebuild which I'm sure you will want to know, since it can't hurt:

NEVER hot tank aluminum parts, I hot tanked my pistons and front cover simultaneously bye 280 dollars. Green pistons and a green front cover. It oxidized and well just dont do it.

2. DON'T take your cam towers off, they are factory aligned. Just push the rocker arms down with a big screwdriver and take the cam out if you have to do any head-work.

3. NEVER trust any P.O's words i.e. "this head is brand spankin new!"

4. Never buy from pierre'z

5. NEVER BUY FROM PIERRE'Z

6. Prime your oil pump ANY time you take it out, DONT forget.

7. ANYTHING with springs in the assembly should be re-read and approached with über caution because those things can shoot things in places you don't want. Valves, tensioners, distributors, AFMs, anything with a spring!!

Whatever you do, work slowly and just think I'm pretty sure that can be the solution to every problem I've ever had, its just I never did a mental play-by-play the little things i.e. removing a simple cam tower can end up costing you days in the long run and hundreds of dollars. If you have ANY doubt, ask someone if you have NO doubt then still ask someone.

just my $.04 It really does suck learning but if it helps someone out there then i guess its worth it!!
Oh almost forgot #6 hahaha accident avoided.