280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Custom stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Custom stereo install

Forgot to post some pics of the new stereo install. I had to custom fabricate the entire mount inside to get the double din chasis to fit. Custom aluminum face plate while keeping the stock surround. Deleted the cig lighter socket and ash tray to make it look super clean. I've got power available if I need to set up a cig lighter socket but I don't really use anything that plugs in. I've got a USB jack on the front of the stereo so I can charge my phone, MP3 layer, GPS, etc.

Full touch screen, DVD, CD, MP3, DivX, SD, GPS, etc.

Looks nice and clean but apparently the pics won't upload....
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I'm excited, I love custom stereo setups. Can't wait!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Here's an ANSI drawing to hold you over until I can get this picture upload issue figured out. Haven't had any problems before....

------------------------------------/
\ .............................................. /
.\..........________________........../
..\.........|.......................|......../
...\........|.......................|......./
....\.......|______________|....../
.....\ .................................../
......\_____________________/

Last edited by FricFrac; 09-23-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM

well now, THAT is one clean install!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

This thread's sarcasm has reached maximum!

I'm pretty sure that in the time that it took to draw that out, you could have figured out how to upload it xD

If photobucket isnt working, I upload to a private album on facebook and then hyperlink from that.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I know people have seen it before. But since this thread is about custom faceplates, and such. Here is my setup, which still will be in my Z, when he is finished.
Name:  007.jpg
Views: 5750
Size:  94.6 KB
Old 09-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I know people have seen it before. But since this thread is about custom faceplates, and such. Here is my setup, which still will be in my Z, when he is finished.
Nice - did you paint the stock gauge cluster and steering column suround?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

That, is a LOT of blue.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Nice - did you paint the stock gauge cluster and steering column suround?
Thanks, yes I did, mostly with dupli-color spray paint. Will be slightly different when completely finished with my Z in the future.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
That, is a LOT of blue.
Yes it is, probably because blue and silver are my 2 favorite colors.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

I wish my Z looked this nice! lol

I have a radio setup just like yours too. Tho the person that did it I think hotglued it into place and the heat is making it want to sag a bit. It was like that before I even got this Z But I had to wire up EVERYTHING! only like 1 stock wire left I think
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ All it is, is a aftermarket black faceplate, that I painted Cobalt Metallic Blue. And I used the stock stereo brackets. Drilled a couple more holes in the stereo console. And my stereo was in there nice and tight. It was a lot of work, but well worth it.

Of course, my stereo is currently in my Neon. But will be going in my Slicktop here soon. Until I can find a stereo that has a purple display, and plays my Ipod too.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Ok lets try this again....

Attached Thumbnails Custom stereo install-stereo-2.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Big Poppa

nice work, i should post pix of mine, i completely re-vamped the design making it flow better into the shifter area. its covered in leather and got a nice stitch job
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok I really like that! Been thinking of upgrading mine for awhile now. How hard was that to do?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM

@Shady, you should post some...i think theres lots of room for innovative stereo installs in the instrument area there.

That double-din looks clean. I put tweeters in my cigarette lighter slots, a flip-out 7" stereo in a custom face-plate and a gauge on each side of that. You have a lot of room you could utilize around that screen; gauges, tweeters, switches, etc.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Ok I really like that! Been thinking of upgrading mine for awhile now. How hard was that to do?
It was a bit of a pain getting the new brace on the bottom just right so I could delete the ash tray, cigarette lighter and old stereo control. Personally the S13/Z32 is one of my favorite dashes and in particular how the center console from the dash to the transmission flows. That's how I would rather go but I wanted to keep it stockish for now.

It looks like there is lots of room on the front but it's fairly snug in behind. Just happy to be able to get a double din unit in. I haven't seen any other S130s with the double din in before.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 PM

I haven't seen any other S130s with the double din in before.
Not trying to ruin your excitement. By all means be happy about it, I really wanted one but didn't think I could do it. But I have seen one before in an early Z and it looked soo good. It was right in front of the base of the shift ****, where I believe (I'm not familiar with the early Zs) there are some warning lights or something like that. Never seen one in an S130 though.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol - just because I haven't seen an S130 with a double din doesn't mean it hasn't been done a 100 times already. Just posting here to give those who were thinking about it an idea of how it could be done...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Lol - just because I haven't seen an S130 with a double din doesn't mean it hasn't been done a 100 times already. Just posting here to give those who were thinking about it an idea of how it could be done...
I hope I didn't offend, that may have come off wrong, I'm trying to give you props. I really like how clean and it is and how much space is left around it, that whole area is full of useless stock junk. Do you have any pictures from the back?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Oh no offense taken. I was just saying say install with a double din probably isn't unique but it's here for reference. I'll have to pull the stereo out to get some pictures of the construction. Maybe this summer when I've got some free time I'll pull it out...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM

I like the tray and 12v outlet. I use the plug for my fog lights. Has anyone tried a single din?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The vast majority are single DINs. You can buy a single DIN mounting kit for the S130.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM

great job, though it looks kind of empty on the sides, you should take a dremel or something and cut in grooves that follow the contours of the dash, to make it less blank, or maybe just spraying in some dark red or chrome lines would look good too. Or put some bells and whistles in there like a **** to control sound, or cigarette lighter
Old 07-12-2020, 04:06 PM

Ok lets try this again....

How were you able to do that? Im looking at getting one and this is exactly what I need.

Quick Reply: Custom stereo install