280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

cutting out at 100kmph

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM

cutting out at 100kmph

Hi guys newbie here down in australia , just wanting to pick the impressive brains on this board. been a long time lurker of the board, first time poster!

I have a 82 280zx which runs great most of the time but there is a problem when i hit close to 100kmph and over 3000rpm. heres the situation,

If i rev hard and fast i can get up to 100 and over with no problems
If cruise up to 100 in a normal gradual way (especially when engine is hot) it splutters and cuts out sometimes for a few seconds, i have to ease off throttle, this also happens at lower speeds revving up over 3000 when engine is warm. basically i can never sit up at 100kmph on the motorway.

I have seen AFM mentioned often, just keen to see if you guys have any tips for me.

thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Check your throttle position sensor. I once power washed my engine compartment before a car show. Pulled out and the car acted exactly how you presented your problem. Could not rev past 3 grand or go above 45 MPH lol as for our readouts here in the states. Hope that helps. May just need cleaned?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

+1 on the tps
Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 AM

CHTS as well. Clean all connections under the hood and the 3 going to the ECU
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

zded has good advice. Get your hands on some Deoxit by CAIG. do a google. might find it at a place that services music amps. good cleaner. I was told by someone when I was in Melbourne you guys never got the ZX. ???
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Radioshack has Deoxit. CRC makes an awesome electrical cleaner as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 AM

lesnocker we actually did give it a bit of a power wash before we got it registered, so we might have an identical problem

we definitely got the zx over here in oz rogerz, still a few knocking around

thanks for the replies guys, ill take a look at those things
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM

also if it turns out to be a corroded connection its likely going to just re corrode after you clean it so buy some dielectric grease (non conductive) and up a little dab in the connection to seal it from moisture
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM

i would also check the Oxygen Sensor
Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by mrprofile
also if it turns out to be a corroded connection its likely going to just re corrode after you clean it so buy some dielectric grease (non conductive) and up a little dab in the connection to seal it from moisture
Don't use dielectric grease on anything other than your spark plug boots. If the connector are corroded replace all the EFI connectors with a connector kit.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 AM

Found this thread searching for a simular problem. My 83 NA will not rev past 3200 RPM. Cuts out as if it had a rev limiter like modern cars. Weird part is it only does it when fully warmed up to normal temperature. Have checked connections and resistance (ohms) of coolant temp sensor, CHTS, TPS, MAF, etc. All within FSM specs. Going crazy trying to figure this out. I've also drove with a fuel pressure gauge on my window to verify it AINT a fuel pressure problem and my in-line spark tester does not show any change from when it's below 170 degrees (running good) to when it runs bad at normal operating temp. Thought it was a distributor problem so I installed new bushings, cap and rotor. Still persists. I'm a new user here and this is the closest post that describes my problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Don't use dielectric grease on anything other than your spark plug boots. If the connector are corroded replace all the EFI connectors with a connector kit.
Why don't you put dielectric grease on your connections?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Its a no no

saved some time and copied Wiki

Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing.

A common use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with gasoline engine spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected. It can be applied to the actual contact as well, because the contact pressure is sufficient to penetrate the grease. Doing so on such high pressure contact surfaces has the advantage of sealing the contact area against corrosionAnother common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector.

It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
saved some time and copied Wiki

Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing.

A common use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with gasoline engine spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected. It can be applied to the actual contact as well, because the contact pressure is sufficient to penetrate the grease. Doing so on such high pressure contact surfaces has the advantage of sealing the contact area against corrosionAnother common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector.

It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants.
Science!