280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Easily Stolen ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 PM

Easily Stolen ??

A little freaked out tonight. I was getting ready to take my dash out tonight, and something freaked me out. 3 little screws and the plastic steering cover was off, and my ignition is only screwed on to the column, with a plug on the end of it, all exposed and sitting right there in the open. So what is to stop someone from stealing our cars?? If it is what it seems, you can just un plug that ignition and plug in a different one with a key?? I don't like that idea. So is this really how easy it is to steal our beloved cars?? I talked to a friend of mine and he all ready agreed to help me re locate the ignition, and weld me a box of alluminum to fortify that connection and wires. And provide mounting. But that is alot of extra work, so please tell me it isn't that easy to steal our cars.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM

hate to break it to ya but yes, these cars are ubsurdly easy to steal. I have a knack for being able to start a car without a key (as long as it doesn't require a transponder) and so I'm always testing myself. And the 280zx is almost at the top of the list for easily stolen. Its even easier then you think. You dont need another cylinder and a key. And forget the screws. A long flathead screwdriver makes quick work of the cover. Then it's simply jumping two of the ignition wires with clips and then just temping a wire across the start wire. Boom, cars gone. Took maybe 20 sec's. Get an alarm and wire in an alternative kill switch somewhere in the car. Somewhere far from the ignition switch. Dont try to hid it under the dash or seat cause it'll be found. Kill the ground to the ECU or something like that. Something that cant be remedied in a matter of seconds by popping the hood like the starter. Thats too easy. The best thing is to discourage theft. Dont brag about your car to people you dont know. If you put an alarm in make sure it has a flashing LED and put it where it's easily noticeable. I see people put these under their dash's as if they want to surprise the theif after he's already broken into the car. WTF?? The whole point is to discourage him. If your alarm comes with a sticker then put it where it's easily visible. If your car is nice enough to the point where somebody wants it bad enough then nothing can stop someone from stealing you car. My buddy had his Z32 stolen from right out front of his house. I never could get that cars started because I never could find his kill switch or what it killed. So we can only figure someone came and towed his car away. He had more invested in that car then I payed for my house.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Doesn't post much...

It's actually much easier than that... 99% of these cars have ignition switches that are so worn out you can start them almost any key. That's what the Bastards that stole mine did. Hell, true story... Just yesterday I started my 280ZX with the Z32 key.. At least the Z32 key will start something .....................Rod.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Ruff Ryder

do what i did and put a fuel pump kill switch AND an ignition swich AND a bateery kill swich. then theres always the locking brake pedal, works great when you have all wheel braking.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

its all true. mine was stolen with . . . .*sigh* . . . . a fork. i still have the POS they used too. they left it in the car as if to let me know how easy it was. i had a club on the steering wheel that they also managed to get off with out breaking or damaging the lock in any way. i now have a fuel pump kill, ignition kill and a club. best thing to do though is leave nothing for them to steal or want but the car itself. dont leave the radio faceplate on, anything in the trunk area, on the seat on the floor . .anything. ive been meaning to get an auto lock for the clutch as well.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
... At least the Z32 key will start something ...
Way to keep your head up. Its that positive thinking that is going to get you through that project
Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 AM

Factory alarm, ignition kill, fuel system kill, battery kill, LoJack, Triad transponder chip on my key chain or a chip in my wallet....and if all those fail you have to get it out of my garage and I own soem very large guns.

My car! MINE! You hear me?!??! MINE!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:12 AM
The Evil Twin

how about an alarm that pages you when it goes off... and some guns.

Yup, these are EZ to steal. Same for other Datsuns. My truck was stolen years ago with no damage. Door lock is 'universal' as well as the ignition. My Z had a kill switch and alarm as always, but I never though they would bother with the truck.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Well, I'll have to fix that. At the end of this project, there will be just too much time and $ invested, to let some punk steal my car with a spoon,. To hell with that. If they want it, they will have to work for it. You can't stop a good determined thief, but since you can only make it really dificult for them, then that's what I'll do.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Thats the attitude they hate. If they wanted to work for your car they'd have a real job. Stealing cars is supposed to be easy. Make it difficult and you might wake up one morning and find your car broken into and your ignition switch jimmied but the odds of your car still being there are greatly increased. Just remember that all those kill switches do you no good without a nice loud alarm. No alarm means they've got all night to try to steal your car. Oh and never hook an alarm up to the main battery. No No. Thats to easy to silence. But a small lightweight secondary battery that only powers the alarm and put it and the alarm where it cant be found. Put the siren and it's wiring somewhere it cant be reached easily. It's ALL about making it difficult.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Big Poppa

On My Car I Have A Pager Alarm, With Backup Battery, With Internal Speaker (hidden) With Backup Battery, All Of It Hidden In Remote Under Metal Areas Of The Car. It Takes Me At Least 45 Minutes To Get To The Brain. Not To Mention A Club And A Kill Switch. And I Installed It Myself, Dont Put The Sticker On, If You Talk To The Pros, They Will Figure Your Alarm Out By The Sticker. Theyll Ask The Company Who Installs The Alarm Where They Typically Install The Stuff And Go About It That Way. And They Will Bring Tools To Swap Out The Sterring Wheel To Replace Yours With The Club. Plus They Stalk You For A Couple Of Weeks. I Had The Unpleasant Way Of Finding This Out From An Ex-theif. He Was Big Time, But Theyll Get It If They Want It Bad. He Used To Export Stuff Over Seas.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Doesn't post much...

Ultimate security systems!!!

here ya go... http://www.stickdeath.com/2003auto.html
Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Nice find, Rod.......Funny stuffs!!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:35 PM

Used to be able to start my z without the key. Found that out 2 years after we got it, changed that real fast.

I read on some forum where a had some people repeatedly try and steal his car, he was trying to rig up his door handle to the battery to shock them. Makes me wonder if he ever did it, ill look around for the link.hahah
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 PM

So Rod, do you want the decapitation feature on your t tops
Old 03-17-2006, 09:04 AM

LMAO stickdeath is funny as hell.

Locks only keep the honest people out. Alarms are a must have!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:31 AM

Dang looks like I have to save some extra money putting an alarm, killswitch, and etc so that my summer project doesn't go bye bye. And have you guys checked out the newer version of the anti auto devices on stickdeath? Stickdeath though ain't the same as it was back in the days.

Last edited by Onliee1me; 03-17-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:38 AM
The Good Twin

One thing that a lot of people don't understand / don't think of:

Don't thump your stereo all over town all the time... nothing says "hey break into my car" better than crankin your subs like a thug.

Think about it... what gets stolen from 99% of the cars broken into? the STEREO!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Ruff Ryder

i odnt know who would want to steal a 80's first generation stock digital stereo.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by hoov100zx
i odnt know who would want to steal a 80's first generation stock digital stereo.
those aren't the "thumping gangsta" stereos I'm talking about.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by hoov100zx
Someone who is restoring an 80's first generation car
Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 AM

Which points to me in a way haha. I like my sound but I just bump it so that i can hear it in my car and not outside the car.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Doesn't post much...

Hey, just for some further eveidence as to the easiness of stealing these cars... My buddy with the '79 came over the other night and locked his keys in his car. I watched another of our friends dick around with a coat hanger for about five miuntes before I very non-shalantly walked over, stuck one of the keys to my '80 in his drivers door lock and opened the door... then just turned around and walked away... he looked like this... but then, he looked like this...

Rod.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 AM
The Evil Twin

yup yup! Datsun 1978 truck, 1982 Z, 1970 Z, 1994 Altima... basically all interchangable except the older key don't yet work in the Altima.

Even your Z32 key should open the 280ZX... if your locks are worn enough.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by Bleach

Even your Z32 key should open the 280ZX... if your locks are worn enough.
It Does!!!!!! I did it by accident the first time...

Rod.

Quick Reply: Easily Stolen ??