280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Eibach vs. Suspension Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 PM

Eibach vs. Suspension Techniques

Hey guys,

I would appreciate your opinion. I am trying to finish the mechanical restoration of my '83 zx. All bushings have been replaced with polyurethane ones. I have new front and rear KYB struts, but I bought what I thought was the stock ride height springs at my local Autozone. Well, the front of the car looks pretty good but the rear sits WAY too high. These are variable rate springs. The rear wheels actually bow in underneath the car. Like this: \ /. They also seem to be a bit 'bouncy'. I am going to buy a set of lowering springs. I have looked at the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and the Suspension Techniques Sport Type Springs. Both are supposed to lower the car about 1 inch. The Eibach's are higher in price. The Eibach's are a progressive rate spring and the Suspension Techniques' are a linear rate spring. Could any of you give me some advice on which set of springs you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance.

Colin
Old 01-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Ruff Ryder

if you already bought a set of new springs just drive the car around do some launches and drive it how it was designed to be driven and the springs should settle at about 30k miles.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:17 PM
The Good Twin

I like my Eibach's... I didn't notice much rear lowering, but my front does sit about an inch lower. Right now I have a KYB / Eibach setup, & the ride is great.... no complaints. Tho I do want to adjust my rear camber, so the tops of the tires are in a bit (neg camber).

Old 01-28-2006, 09:21 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by hoov100zx
springs should settle at about 30k miles.

um... ok... I'm sure he'd like to feel some improvement in a bit less time than 5 years....
Old 01-28-2006, 09:40 PM

i was thinking of buying these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW
Mabe some sick rims to fill the gap 18/8.5 for the back 18/7.5 for the front ...
i dont want my car to sit to low .....the term for this is "iam so growen up "
my homies 240sx is so low ... i hate getting out of it ...its the old bent knee that says "no no dont do it "really ...there are a few coil over kits But there going to cost you ....iam sure J or bleach have alot of idea's about this crap ....i hate it ..i had to go buy a tire the other day ... i didnt want that guy jacking my car up...frist off he was just about to slide the jack under the side and put it on the frame rail ....we all no this is a bad idea ...if you don't then you better recognize...i stoped the guy and told him about the frame rails and what will happen if you put presser on them ...anyway he was kinda a dick but i didnt want him pinching the **** out of my frame .....i have to go get three more next month its going to cost me $168 more well owell
i will keep these rims and new tires for next winter ....hopefully spring time will come soon ....
Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into a camber kit for the rear. The problem is that I can adjust for the severe positive camber in the rear of my car, but the thing would still sit too high. When I say too high I mean it is about 5 inches from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of the outside fender well. I have noticed in past discussions that most everyone seems to like the Eibach springs. Has anyone ever used the springs from Suspension Techniques? I would assume that since they have linear rate, the ride would be a lot stiffer.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:01 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

It sounds like they gave you the springs for a 2+2.

Either way, I would take them back and ask them to verify the part number they gave you with the one specified in the book.

And 30,000 miles is like 'WTF?!' I hope this was a typo and hoov meant 3,000 miles.

Anyway, no shock/strut or spring set should take more than about 30 miles to settle in.

I have used and currently have all three brands of springs, Tokico, Eibach and Suspension Techniques and there is really no difference in performance and ride quality when comparing similar products. ie. progressive rate vs. progressive rate or constant rate vs. constant rate.

I mean, come on, how much actual 'Engineering' do you think has been put into these designs over the last 23 years?

If you like a soft ride when you're just cruising and want it to stiffen up on hard cornering, get progressive rate springs. If you want it stiff the entire time, get constant rate springs.

Anyway, all three are excellent manufacturers with superb reputations.

Have fun!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Bleach is my Hero

I like my Suspension Tekniques.. They are good.. Nice ride hieght,,