280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Electric Rad Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
well i dont see much difference, the areas blocked by a shroud or the fan parts would be blocking the air before it gets to the radiator on the front but on the back it would stop the air flow through the radiator so still nothing was flowing through it. and in all reality either way there wouldnt be much being blocked.
Once the air is through the radiator fins... it's through the radiator fins. It will then push out (the back side) anywhere it can. I'm not an "Aerodynamic Scientist" so I have no proof, but it seems like that's how it works to me.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
eff good grammar

not quite making it through the fins though thats what i mean.

eh, i'ma gonna put em on the front any way, the more room the better
Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 PM
The Good Twin

not quite making it through the fins though thats what i mean.
Maybe at super slow speeds... like 1mph. Any speed above that is going to force air through any open fins. I guess air can go around the electric fan shroud from the front too...

I need a wind tunnel!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Big Poppa

got my fan for 220 shipped top my door, dont know what zach spent, but they are top notch equiptment and purchaced off ebay from flexalite direct. research rads and see how they work if you unsure, they are simple, but the is science behind it for those who care, its just a heat exchanger.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:56 PM

I just bought one, and it came with a temp-sensor adj. from 150-240 F. It's the torpedo-looking one, so I am going to try putting it on the front of the radiator, or just wire the fan to ignition.

It has three spade connectors marked:2, 1, and C. No instructions... It is a Zirgo fan. Anyway, I'll research it.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM

If I recall correctly, even the electric fan manufacturers state that "pulling" is more efficient than "pushing", though it's not clear whether it's due to aerodynamic reasons, or to some design issue with the fan/shroud itself.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
eff good grammar

thats weird, i am kinda basing this off of computer stuff but its the same principle.

on a computer its better to push than to pull, water cooled or not.
you could bring up the size temp and amount of air being pushed by the fan in a car but its proportional to the small size of a computer, the temp it runs ar and the ammount of air the fans push (max ~100CFM as opposed to several thousand CFM on a car)
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

You don't have competing high pressure areas in a computer case.

In a car, if you're using a pusher, it's pushing the air against a high pressure area in the engine bay so it's less efficient.

With a puller, it's drawing the air through a low pressure area through the radiator vanes created by the vacuum behind the fan which allows it to draw more air through with greater efficiency.

With a puller, the fight for pressure is behind the fan and behind the radiator keeping the radiator "free" of conflict. With a pusher, the fight is behind the fan BUT IN FRONT of the radiator putting the radiator right in the middle of two competing high pressure areas which results in less total flow.

Does this make any sense?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
eff good grammar

except the competing high pressure areas in a computer case in which you do, basicly the only difference is even thoush its proportional the computer isnt moving.

and the high pressure area in the engine bay, unless the car is moving there should be equal pressure on either side, when the car is moving the high pressure is on the front.

theres a mercedes in the junkyard i'm gonna pull its fan. its on the front as well as most of the rest of the mercedes and BMWs in the yard.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 PM
The Good Twin

except the competing high pressure areas in a computer case in which you do, basicly the only difference is even thoush its proportional the computer isnt moving.

and the high pressure area in the engine bay, unless the car is moving there should be equal pressure on either side, when the car is moving the high pressure is on the front.
None of that made sense to me.

theres a mercedes in the junkyard i'm gonna pull its fan. its on the front as well as most of the rest of the mercedes and BMWs in the yard.
My BMW 325i has a radiator clutch fan as the primary (behind), and the front electric fan as secondary for idle time / when the a/c is on.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:32 PM
eff good grammar

there were all sorts but the BMWs were smaller, well the rad was smaller too but the mercedes fan was HUGE, it might even be too big, we'll see.
i'm gonna do a quick couple of things before i do the fan, i may wait untill i get back from washington to do it as well.

gonna have a pipe bent real quick for the intake and mabe they can make me some brackets aswell because the new intake could be in the way