280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Electrical Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:09 PM

Electrical Nightmare

Well, Before I had my current Z the battery wasn't mounted down at all so whenever the driver took a right turn the battery arc'ed against the hood and the car would stall until the battery settled back into place, once settled back into place the car would start itself back up. Driver never paid attention to it until one day the car didn't start back up, what had happened was most of the lower wiring harness melted away. Since then the fuel gauge acts crazy, it's normal while the car is still but, once you start moving is sways back and forth very fast. I cannot plug in the cold start valve because the car will begin to idle very rough and eventually stall. If the temperature gauge wire is plugged in the car will lope every so often and eventually die. Doesn't matter now because while cleaning up the thermostat housing the sensor broke in half while I was trying to remove it.

This isn't so much a help me out thread as it is an informative thread, I figure the best thing to do is repair the lower wiring harness, he already had but, he used electrical tape instead of connectors. Unless I come across a decent wiring harness for cheap I think I will be fine just repairing the current one, car still starts and runs without the cold start valve, and I'll eventually take care of the sensor but, for now it's nothing too serious. Just figured it was worth a laugh.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:34 PM

I hear ya loud and clear on that one.

I'm almost finished completely rewiring my entire car from scratch now. It was a nightmare.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:11 AM

Is your alternator charging?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:17 PM

What type of marking system do you guys use when repairing/making you own harnesses? The stock has the color coding, but I've never seen wires for sale at the store in more than like 4 colors.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:18 PM

Get A Bunge Cord...lololol..OR MABE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ONE would have been better!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Ruff Ryder

i might be able to get you a COMPLETE harness from tail light to head light, with no cutting of the wores.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:09 PM

when i redid my harness i had two existing harness' and I just pick and chose which wires to reuse and then bought some new wire for certain areas. I upgraded headlight and fuel pump wiring. Things like that. I have to make my own wiring diagram now though as its not the same as before. I redid a lot of stuff my own way.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 PM

Actually I do have a bungee cord on it now for temporary use until I relocate the battery altogether, it happened before I even owned the car so there's nothing I could've done to prevent it.

My thermostat housing was leaking so I decided to pull all of it apart and try out the RTV gasket maker because the actual gaskets weren't doing me any good. So I figure while Im at it I'll pull out the four sensors and clean them up a bit since they were corroded to all hell, three of them came out without too much fuss but the sensor that sends the signal to the gauge actually had the head snap right off as soon as I put a little bit of torque on it. It's not broken to the point where it leaks so I'll be able to drive it around for awhile safely. I don't think there's too much to worry about so far as overheating is concerned, with the fan constantly spinning and the radiator in our cars being as large as it is, added to the fact I have brand new coolant I should be good to go. Hell my last Z had an overcooling problem that I could never figure out, I went through just about everything and finally settled on the clutch fan, running cool isn't a problem with me so I never fixed it.