280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Is it even possible???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 06:49 PM

Is it even possible???

I'm new to the Z world. I needed a vehicle and a family member found me an 82' 280ZX. It needs love, (runs great, tho). Before any remodeling, I wanted a cd player. I'm starting to fall in love with this car (that is, until I went to install the cd player.)

I've installed about four or five cd players in other cars, usually you get the mounting kit, wiring harness and your ready to go. Well, I had order a face plate, and I couldn't find a mounting kit. The face plate fits like it's supposed except for the screw holes on each corner. There is nothing for the them to screw to. The radio nor the faceplate will not screw to the chassis, nowhere. Bending back some of the metal tabs on the radio and using some plastic ties, I was able to secure the radio. Then I went to plug it in (using scorsche NN032, wiring harness) and the plugs do not fit the plugs on the car! It specifically says on the back of this harness that it covers 79' - 83' 280ZX. Is there something else I need to buy to connect this harness to the car. I've never ran into a problem like this. I really don't want to cut the factory wires. Has anyone run into this before? I'm really stumped on this.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:19 PM

Yet again, someone has fallen sucker to Scosche's mistake. Those connectors DO NOT fit the ZX. I made my own plugs for a different car a while ago with plastic putty and RadioShack connectors, but for my Zed, I just spliced stock wiring for power and antenna, and simply ran new wiring to my speakers.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:32 PM
The Evil Twin

I also fell victom to fake and poor quality mounting faceplates. I made my own from aluminum and did all my wires manually. When dealing with a car as old as the 280ZX, dont' expect to buy kits for everything like the newer cars.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:21 AM

i made this post about two months ago ...... ...i called scorsche and they said that they would "fix the problem" they wont it will not fit its for a diff car they just want to make money and really dont care ...i would buy any thing form them ever again ....
dam iam pissy tonight to hell with every company that wont refund your money or doesnt even know what there selling

you can drill two holes in the side of the stock mounting brackets and install that face plate ....if you take a look at the two pieces of meatel that come down from the upper part where the stock crap hooked to ..... then you will see that there is just eff room for a hole to be drilled on each side.... if you get two small black screws then you shouldnt be able to see them as long as you drilled them into the upper corners

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 07-25-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM

thanx

Well, at least I know it isn't me now, I'll see what I can come up with and thanx for the tips on the face plate. Looks like Scosche is going to get another nasty customer support call tonight.