280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Excited!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by mrprofile
ok, thanks i gotta check that out those programs, and to answer bleach's question im pretty sure ECU stands for Engine Control Unit.
I'm more than pretty sure ECU stands for Excessive Cake Utilization

Fantastic work Skully.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:11 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Awesome Skully, nice to hear it run! You are on your way man. Good job buddy!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM
The Evil Twin

Arrow

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
I'm more than pretty sure ECU stands for Excessive Cake Utilization
The Cake is a lie!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 AM

The cake is delicious! When are you and E coming up Bleach? we can get a single bed to snuggle up this time.

sooooo, i noticed my thermostat housing must be cracked at one of the sensors, today I gotta take it off, take the sensor out, cut the crack out, and drill and retap further in to get around the leak, its doable. The only ones im using is temp sensor for gauge and temp sensor for MS. Also its running a bit rich off the get go, so I gotta tune down my afterstart enrichments yay fun.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Hmm i haz some investigating to do! My oil pressure at idle is around 5 psi now, i take the sender off and crank the engine and its spewing out oil. I changed 2 gauges and 2 senders with really no difference. pooooh
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Big Poppa

wow good to hear. i should just swap out the turbo dizzy and shaft, prolly woulda started. i havent had time, too many other things going on right now, that and kids take time too, she not quite old enough to help, but old enough to get in trouble. as for the oil pressure, what grade oil you have???? and is your gauage known to be good. if its the kind where oil has to come to the guage itself, throw it out
Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 AM

i got 5-30 in it, regular not syntech yet, might be a bit thin if ya ask me tho, i had 2 gauges hooked up to it, electric senders, the gauge i have on now works because i tested it with some pressure. Maybe i was just high on fumes and worrying too much about ****, i dunno hah.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM

just changed the oil to a heavier grade and got lots of oil pressure, i knew i was just being a worry head, but cant go wrong triple checking **** on a new motor lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

cant wait to see your car on the road again Skully... ill prolly be coming to you for advice when i megasquirt my ZXT project...
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv_lM-ae6fY with the "exhaust", thats all im gonna do for running it till i get it on the road and break it in. Gotta tie up all the interior, lighting, bumpers intercooler piping etcetc, still lots of work but at least the motors up and running, im happy.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Skully
just changed the oil to a heavier grade and got lots of oil pressure, i knew i was just being a worry head, but cant go wrong triple checking **** on a new motor lol.
You already know the L28 has low idle presure but be careful with going to a thicker oil. Oil protects your engine by lubricating moving parts as well as removing heat from those areas. The most important part about the oil is that it gets to the places that need the lubrication and is moved out to carry the heat away. The numbers you should be concerned with isn't the presure but the flow. If you have a high flow rate you're getting the work done. High presure doesn't mean its moving the oil quickly. Typically Nissan recomends 10W30 around this time of year. That was back when Dino oil was the only one available. Now we have synthetics that are 5W30 and even some 0W30. Remember that the first number is essentially the cold starting viscosity value. You want this number as low as possible for the oil to flow quickly and get up to the valve train to protect it. The second number is your operating temperature viscosity value. There has been a lot of experiementing outside of what Nissan recomends and they seem to be right on the money when they make a recomendation. Personally I'd stay with the Nissan recomended 30W but get the additional protection from a synthetic and run the commonly found 5W30 instead of ponying up for the 0W30...
Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Yup, It was late and I got some fumes sucked into my lungs so I'm pretty sure I was just out of it. There is definitely flow, I'm not worried, the cam was throwing oil up top so Its getting oil all the way up. Not touching anything until I can get it out on the road and seat those rings. I know about flow vs pressure, but it appeared last night that it was pretty weak. Thanks for insight.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Well looks like more shopping! The old *** rad (should have never put it in) has a crack on the bottom, not surprised, I had a hunch it was gonna be used just to test the motor :P. Gotta get one of these inter-cooler piping kits so I can finish up in the bay, close the hood and put my interior together. Yay.

Just looked on ebay for a rad, looks like someone is selling aluminum 3 core ones in Calgary! That's like 40 minutes from work yay!!

Last edited by Skully; 06-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Your Z sounds sick man! I hope when I convert my other Z to a turbo it will sound half as good as that. Good job man, keep the updates coming!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks Wildman , my days off are coming to an end, and my parts inventory ran out, I''m getting another thermostat housing, I ordered my inter-cooler piping (just a kit) with some extra couplers, and I'm gonna pick up the radiator when I go back to work to the other province. Wont be any updates for another 3 weeks .
Old 06-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Big Poppa

once you get the piping installed its prolly gonna change your settings as your running n/a right now. sounds good, ill send you my ecu to get running for me. lol
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
once you get the piping installed its prolly gonna change your settings as your running n/a right now. sounds good, ill send you my ecu to get running for me. lol
Yah its on the rich side right now, once I pipe it ill see where its at and hopefully it wont need too much screwing with
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM

w000t! 2 more days till im home again for 2 weeks! I see my intercooler piping was attempted to be delivered yay!! Cant wait to plumb it. And my new radiator is in the mail, as soon as our postal workers get back to work !!! Grr. CANT WAIT!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Can I have your engine? I'll give you an 82 Z for it
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Teflon
Can I have your engine? I'll give you an 82 Z for it
hehe :P, i said even if the body on the car expires, im keeping the engine and finding a mint 240z to throw it in
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Are you a turbo dizzy with the chopper wheel in it?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

freakin awesome skully!!!! glad to see that sucker run. too bad i probably wont have a Z for whenever everyone decides to meet again
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM

E!! You can take my N/A 240z when i get one, it will boost harder then my turbo!!! LOL!
Fric yes its just a 83 turbo dizzy in there.

AAANNND i just got home and this was waiting on my steps! So didnt even go into the house, had to try it out lol!!! I like it.

cost me 200$ and since it was in Canada, free shipping!! First time i didnt pay shipping on something, I envy you yankees!!!

Had to trim some bracket, and gotta drill mounting holes but, I bet if I ordered OEM rad it would be more then 200 by the time it got to me.
Name:  010-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  81.7 KB
Name:  009-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

What version of TS are you running? I don't have the same configuration as you nor the ability to select MSnS as the trigger...

Nice Rad. Where did you get it from? Is it for a SR-20?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
What version of TS are you running? I don't have the same configuration as you nor the ability to select MSnS as the trigger...

Nice Rad. Where did you get it from? Is it for a SR-20?
1.002, should be an option, even megatune has it.

actually got it off ebay! Guy in Calgary sells em it says its for 280z-zx but needs a little altering which i have no issues in doing.

Quick Reply: Excited!