280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

exhaust and clock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 AM

exhaust and clock question

So yesterday when I went to a job interview, I noticed that exhaust fumes were flooding the cabin. I pulled onto the job site with a very rough running Z. It was loud as heck and backfiring often. I already knew the problem and went on with my interview. The guy seemed confused at the end when I asked if he had a wire clothes hanger..

Long story short, the nuts that hold my exhaust flange and manifold together (stockies) aparently fell off. Now it's heald together by said aquired clothes hanger.

Anyone happen to know what size/threads per inch they are? Hopefully you do so that I don't have to make 30+ returns to the local hardware store.

Also, anyone have a quartz digi clock? What color does it light up with? Is there one standard color? I just pulled the dash from my parts Z the day before the interview (1.5 hrs away) and planon swapping the whole thing in after I fix the dash cracks, but was planning on upgrading the dash lights and would like to make them match.

Thankd for reading!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
The Good Twin

Every single one of them fell off????? Did you just replace the gasket and not tighten them?

Originally Posted by MurphyEF
What color does it light up with? Is there one standard color?
The analog dash color is orange. The lights have an orange rubber sock.
The digi dash color is blue/green.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM

Actually, There are two studs in the manifold, the other is sheared off. Here's the deal:

My exhaust gasket around #6 blew, the stud that goes into the head at that end broke off in the head. I pulled my intake and exhaust mani to go ahead and replace it. Unfortunately, my drill was too big to fit into the area I had to remove the broken stud, so it is still in there (and the gasket is blown again).

While removing the exhaust manifold from the "y" pipe, two studs sheared off, and the other completely extracted, nut and stud combined. I was able to get one of the sheared studs out,but the other absolutely refuses to budge. No amount of heat, PB blaster, drilling seems to help. In fact, while trying to drill it, it seems that the stud is a harder material than the iron manifold.

So, I went to the hardware store and bought some studs and nuts for them. I used the stud/nut combo that completely came out to match threads. They went into the manifold just fine.

Unfortunately, it seems that I definately needed some lock washers with them, which I didn't get due to the fact that the originals didn't have any on them when pulled.

I allowed the manifold to only have 2 studs for the time being, planning on replacing it with a set of headers in the near future. Both bolts apparently vibrated loose during the drive to the interview (a little over an hour away). I had already taken numerous drives to my parts car and checked the nuts, which were always firlmy tightened. I find it odd that they would both become loose and disappear on a shorter drive.

Thanks for the info on the gauges. Does the digital clock found with the analog cluster match the cluster color?