280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

FINALLY. New Gasket Time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Hallo, hopefully there are some night owls out there to answer me this really quick. I'm not lazy, just tired. Are the headbolts the only thing (aside from the cam chain tension) keeping the head down?

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...ild/index.html Sez only headbolts, but -V

Is it advised to remove the head with the cam towers and springs/valves still attached? Up until next month i'm in a messy garage with no work area, and i'm kinda tryin to get it apart with as little as possible. But I musnt just ***** out.

I planned on rebuilding this engine for about 250 (gotta compete with mah friends supra...), and while its open I might as well... right??

"While its up on jacks I might as well do this" syndrome strikes again.

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 07-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

The head bolts and 2 10mm bolts on the outside of the head above the timing cover. Then Yes leave the head mostly alone! Make sure to wedge a wooden stake between the chain to keep the tensioner in place and undo the sprocket on the head (that big bolt at the very front of the head) and pull it off then you can pull the head off!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
The head bolts and 2 10mm bolts on the outside of the head above the timing cover. Then Yes leave the head mostly alone! Make sure to wedge a wooden stake between the chain to keep the tensioner in place and undo the sprocket on the head (that big bolt at the very front of the head) and pull it off then you can pull the head off!
Wouldnt have done it without you =P

Good news is I got the head off. Bad news is I dropped two small bolts down into the timing area =(!

Would coolant/water remain in cylinders for a long period of time? I wouldnt expect it to, especially after some of the valves are open. There is debris in 3 and 4, and theres a bunch of buildup on the valves. Pics in a few minutes.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Bawww

Number 1:

Number 2:

Number 3:
This also has some sparkly/crystalized **** goin on...

Number 4:

Number 5:

Number 6:

Gasket surrounding Cylinder Number 2:
FAIL FAIL FAIL

Gunna be picking up a telescopic magnet at work, along with some heat resistant paint.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Holy crap thats a ton of carbon build up and I'm wondering if the shiny ones aren't burnt or something.

And if your feeling daring you can pull the oil pan off and get those 2 small bolts lol

And no water wouldn't sit in there for tooooo long but it can sit there for some time. they might bleed down around the piston rings tho if its been sitting a long time.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

If you have water or any liquid in your cylinders. Get some rags or shop towels. And soak that stuff up. So it doesn't go down past your pistons. That is what I did recently on my Z. After I pulled the head off this past weekend. Good luck to both of us.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
If you have water or any liquid in your cylinders. Get some rags or shop towels. And soak that stuff up. So it doesn't go down past your pistons. That is what I did recently on my Z.
I think it did. The last time I remember looking inside was a few months ago. The same day I took the spark plugs out, so it must have dried. Might end up completely ripping this engine apart to clean everything.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:45 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Bawww

I didnt notice this until now, and until I looked at the gasket itself, but you can see the gasket and how warped it is. You can see the cylinder and gasket are off by about 1-2mm
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

wow major warpage Hopefully you can get your head milled back flush w/o having to shim your cam up to much
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

wow major warpage Hopefully you can get your head milled back flush w/o having to shim your cam up to much
Yeah, shyte sucks. If the gasket is warped that much its a definite sign that the head is probably screwed too?

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 07-12-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Not always. could just mean it stuck more to the head then the block in some places
Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

If you're feeling daring you can pull the oil pan off and get those 2 small bolts lol
Lol, got them. I was afraid one was going to get stuck in the lower sprocket. One came out in the oil pan, and I had to fish the other out.

She is on the engine stand right now, bein all dirty. Thinkin about getting new everything...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well You can get a full timing kit for $100 from black dragon then do all your felpro gaskets for less then $100. Add a turbo oil pump too to get higher pressure.

Lots of things you can do lol
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

What should I use to clean my valves since i'm not doing a full rebuild at this moment? some type of cleaning material and a tool?

What should be done to my pistons and cylinders while the head is off?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

A green scotch bright pad and some carb cleaner for the pistons. the block, a soft wire wheel. and the head/valves use a brass wire wheel on a dremal and dont press hard on it, just let it ride along till the dirt and gasket is gone.

I would take a straight edge to the head tho and make sure its not warped else your gasket will just blow back out.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Ruff Ryder

Use gasket remover and a scotch bright to clean any carbon build up, then wipe everything down with a clean, oiled rag.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Alright, fail story.

Took the head off to replace the gasket. Started taking the pistons out to hone the cylinders, then I found that my crank is at odd angles so the only pistons I could get out are 2 and 5. 1, 3, 4, and 6 I cant get out =(

What do. I don't want to take everything apart... I was probably going to do a proper rebuild in about 10-15k miles anyway... just replace the gasket? My cylinders look shiny, but I cant see the xhatching. I'll skip it till my full rebuild.

Thoughts/Ideas?

What would Zdriver do?

Edit: Just found out I gotta reset my tensioner =(

Does this just *pop* back into something? cause I can jimmy that back in with enough time and rum.

Name:  DSCN1819.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  182.6 KB

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 07-22-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM
The Good Twin

Turn the crank... problem solved.

And yeah, you just push the tensioner back into place.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
And yeah, you just push the tensioner back into place.
Headbolts and Gasket got here today, amazing thing to wake up to =D, a box with MSA tape wrapped around it.

Will be forging a new idler chuck for later developments.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

UPDATE

****KIN ******* IN MY GARAGE

Playin around, dropped a piston, scored the side, need new one. Anyone got a P90 layin around? Imma head to the salvage yard tomorrow, so if there isnt one out there it'd be nice if someone was like "Hey, I have one!"
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ouch... Damn amazing it didnt break if it scored it.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Ouch... Damn amazing it didnt break if it scored it.
Well (intoxicated atm watching fast and the furicaos) they dropped it and it hit the enge of my engine stand and then put it on the tabel nearby and decided to not put it on there all the way, so it fell off again. there is a small dentpression on the dish itself, and then on the edge.
_________.___. <---Dents (as periods)
/....Pistonring.....\ <- Piston lol, ring is periods here in the second line(mind you its dished)

the dots, are where some damage is, i dunno if it would matter, but i hate having somewhat obsolete/damaged parts.

anyone want anything from the salvage yard?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Well, no datsuns out at the yard =(

Found an old *** Fiat, some VW Cabriolets and Rabbits, a few Rx7 FBs, a decent Motegi rim

Maybe I should have Nismopick change my subtitle name to "The Emblem Thief"

Cause I made out with more of those than anything =/

Anyone need any VW, Rx7, Fiat emblems?

WTT for hope.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
The Good Twin

Buahahaha!

You still type legibly while drunk.

Most big junk / wrecking yards have online inventory these days. I check the Pick n Pull and Tear a Part sites before I go. Also check www.car-parts.com for other possible local deals.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Buahahaha!

You still type legibly while drunk.

Most big junk / wrecking yards have online inventory these days. I check the Pick n Pull and Tear a Part sites before I go. Also check www.car-parts.com for other possible local deals.
xD

Sight is messed up, not finger position. xD

I looked at the piston, NOT DRUNK, and it looks fine, i stuck it back in the cylinder and it doesnt looks like the scratches will be a problem, they arent deep enough or in a bad enough place to mess anything up.

Should you treat connecting rod bolts like head bolts and replace them if you take them off? A friend says I should.

Quick Reply: FINALLY. New Gasket Time!