280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Free 81 280zx

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:37 PM

Free 81 280zx

Hello, I'm new here, but this seemed like a good board to ask on.

I have the opportunity to get a 81 280zx for free from the original owner. He tells me the head gasket is shot and the rear freeze plug would need to be replaced as it has rusted out and begun to leak coolant. He also says it would be a good idea to replace the clutch and do a valve job while everything else is out.

How does this deal sound and what kind of time and money would I need to put into this. I currently don't have a covered garage in which to do work, but I live in San Diego so it is sunny most of the time.

Oh, he also said the gasket had blown "out" so it wasn't leaking coolant into the head. He's already taken it to a mechanic that quoted some exorbitant fee to make all the repairs and so he's looking to sell it or find someone who would take it on as a project. He's been a good friend for several years so I trust what he says about the problems and has been very upfront about it.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Talking

Take it! I goy my '81 2+2 for free as well - all mine needs is new bushings, fenders, airdam, shocks, springs, anti-roll bars, carpet, valve cover gasket, and differential .

The things you mentioned were wrong with the car seem small in my opinion - what condition is the body in? Is it straight? Rust-free? All one color ? Does it run decently even with a blown headgasket? Sounds like the bargain of the century, if you ask me.

-Dave
Old 01-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

if its free id take it... it doesnt sound too bad.. replacing the head gasket , clutch and freeze plugs can all bedone in one shot.. you can pick up a running engine at the junk yard for $500 and swap it out.. and since the engine is out its pretty easy to swap out the clutch... no better deal than a free Z
Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 AM

why do you even have to ask... take it. with a blown gasket the moste you will have to do is get it resurficed at a machine shop for around 75.00 (or thats at least what i paid for a 4 banger) and the freeze plugs are verry simple to replace. as for the clutch it is just another minor detail. go for it z's are one of the funist cars out there and have great potential.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Hye, sorry it took so long to get back to this, I've been really busy lately. Anyway, I've never done this kind of maintenance before. How long would it take to replace the head gasket and freeze plug + change out all the clutch components. Like I said, I don't have a agrage so could I do this in a weekend in my driveway?

Also, what should I expect to pay for all the stuff. If it's under a few hundred I'll probably do it, but I don't have a lot of free cash at the moment.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Jack Of All Trades

If you're looking for a daily driver, don't have much money, and don't have the abilities/facilities to work on a car, I'd pass this up.
You might take it for free, then try to sell it here for a few $. You could probably get a rebuilt motor, with new clutch, installed for less than $2k. Also be wary of trying to repair a engine with a blown hg that has been sitting for a while. I've seen the cylinder walls get pretty rusty.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 01-16-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 PM

Have you ever driven a Z car befor .........If you havnt then you dont know what your missing .DO IT and find out.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:40 PM

I agree if it's not rusted out I would take it. You have several choices: you can just resurface the head & replace both the head gasket & freeze plug. Pull the tranie & replace the clutch (helps having a second person). Another option pull the engine & rebuild it and while the engine is out you can also replace the clutch. Now if you really want to go wild find a small block Cheve 250 and do a conversion as there are kits to help. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

You can't beat it for free! I would suggest if you don't have the money right now, is maybe rent a car storage, or maybe a friends house? But I would definately take a car that nice for free. I got my' 82 with t-tops for $200. Which was a steal. It has the original six spoke 14" wheels, and the major thing wrong with it is the head need rebulit basically a valve job. Good luck if you take the Z or already have. I have a '81 and '82. But I have to warn you. Once you start driving a Z you are hooked for life. I wouldn't get rid of my Z's for anything. I love those cars! They rock! Talk to you later!