280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Fuel Injectors - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:46 PM

Arrow Fuel Injectors - Part II

The good news! I finally drove my ZX (with new tag and all ) for 23 miles and I thought everything was good.
The bad news - Later on I realize that I have a gas leak from the top of the injectors. Injectors one and two (the ones close to the thermostat) are leaking gas and it's quite noticeable. I decide to take on fixing this once and for all, so today I removed the fuel line as well as the fuel injectors.

I have already bought the fuel injectors seal kit; thinking that just doing that would fix the leaking problem, but I think there's more to it.

So, I'm back to ask for your expert advise. Here's a picture of the injectors and their current state. Pictures 56 and 57 show a crack on the injectors.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:52 PM

Here's the thing with leaking injectors that a lot of people dont really think about: They only leak from two places unless they are severly damaged. Those two places are where the hose clamps onto the injector (even then it's really the hose thats leaking) and at the pintle. If they're leaking at the hose then the fix is to replace the hose and/or clamps (or just make sure the clamp is tight). If they're leaking at the pintle then you most likely need to replace them or at the least just get them cleaned.

Those seal kits are NOT meant to seal in the fuel. The fuel sprays down into the port. Those seal kits are meant to seal the manifold so you dont have a vacuum leak at the injectors. If you've got fuel on the outside of your fuel injectors then it's most likely coming from the hose area.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:07 PM

The hoses are in pretty bad shape; I will replace those.
Were you able to see the two cracked injectors at the tip? It's like the plastic cover cracked at the tip so you can actually see the fuel pipe in the injector. I don't know how big of a deal that is.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:16 PM
The Good Twin

My z had a couple cracked pintle caps for a while... ran like shiz. I replaced them w/ some spares & it ran great. Some people say ya don't need those caps, but they made a difference on my car.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 PM

I may or may not get flamed for this but, I wouldn't worry about that tip being damaged. Mine were like that as well and I continued to drive it for six more months without any issues whatsoever.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:31 PM
NisTuner

Now you mentioned that the seals not sitting correctly could cause gas leakage to be on the outside right? For me it really doesn't look like it's coming from the hose, but more around the seal. I'll get to it once this weather maybe gets to at least 50 degrees...
Old 04-08-2006, 07:35 PM

It's 82 during the daytime here hahahahahaha
Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 PM

Five out of six mounts were in very bad shape, also I found that four out of six injectors were sort of wet on the top, by the connectors, mainly.

I rather get injectors now, if I have to, than having to do all this work again six months from now. I'm itching to drive my Z damn it!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by Fla280zxDrifter
It's 82 during the daytime here hahahahahaha
94 here....i have some working stock injectors that ill sell you for $5 a piece, they all work well with no cracked caps or bad hose.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100zx
94 here....i have some working stock injectors that ill sell you for $5 a piece, they all work well with no cracked caps or bad hose.
Sure, as long as they're in better shape than mine and in working condition; I'll buy them from you.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:15 PM
NisTuner

Alright here I have a question. Are we positive that even if the upper black plastic part that holds the injector is broken at all, that it won't matter. I was thinking about it, and is it possible that if it's broken it could cause the seals to not set properly? I was looking and it looks to be that 2 of my injectors are leaking. They seem to be leaking around the hose, and then it looks like a bit of a leak around the seals. Or a bit of wetness becomes visible around the seals.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
Alright here I have a question. Are we positive that even if the upper black plastic part that holds the injector is broken at all, that it won't matter. I was thinking about it, and is it possible that if it's broken it could cause the seals to not set properly? I was looking and it looks to be that 2 of my injectors are leaking. They seem to be leaking around the hose, and then it looks like a bit of a leak around the seals. Or a bit of wetness becomes visible around the seals.

Unless that injector can magically move independant of the other injectors, while being held down by the fuel rail..... THAT BLACK PLASTIC RETAINER WON'T CAUSE ONE INJECTOR TO "NOT SEAL CORRECTLY." If all the retainers were missing, and the manifold bolts holding the rail were out... then maybe the injectors could lose their seal.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:23 PM

I can tell u i had to do a major overhaul on my 1982 280zx turbo injectors first thing i did was slowly dremel off the hoses and used a pair of needle nose plairs to pull off the old hoses next thing i did was go down and buy NEW ( pintel caps ) and NEW ( fuel injector screens ) i uses a ruler and measured the hose length on my orginal fuel injectors ... about 4.5 inches if i remeber right... but since i was running a NEW JSK custom made fuel rail i shortened the hoes to about 3 inches ... now fuel injectors can leak from the inside out like at the metal meets the plastic once that happens its time to buy new ones or find some good used ones...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:42 PM
NisTuner

Well I'm gonna pull it, use some new seals I got, and put new fuel hose on it. I don't think it's the injector itself as J has said, but who knows. It definitely looks like the hose on the one of them and like I said it starts to look like it gets a bit wet around the seals.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
next thing i did was go down and buy NEW ( pintel caps ) and NEW ( fuel injector screens )
nismo... where'd you go to buy those pintle caps?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
nismo... where'd you go to buy those pintle caps?
I would also like to know as I cant hit any junkyards right now.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
NisTuner

what exactly are new fuel injector screens?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM

to NISMO PICK i bought my SCREENS and my PINTAL cap from 1011 west 7th street , CLOVIS,NEW MEXICO , 88101 WHOLE SALE AUTO 1-505-769-2193 i do belive the mans name is DAVE... ive have to re due about 4 sets of injectors from my friends 280zxt and my g.f. 280zx na.. and my own ... and a few that i messed up on just learning how to do it right..
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 PM
The Good Twin

Cost per cap? You have a part# by chance?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:49 PM

to Duowing... awhen u cut open your hose and look down into the fuel injector there is small little screens no joke u have to replace them think about it the screens are 23 to 28 years old on most 280zx's... i had to pry mine out with a tiny screw driver be very careful not to damnaged the opeing were u have to put back the new ones i found it very easy to get them out and push in the new ones if they done sit flush just turn the injector over and give it a few small taps eazy money !!!

to nismo pick i do belive the screen are.. 1.00 somthing and the pintal caps are like .71 cents each.. i do belivep rices might of gone up thou i do belive that the fuel injector shop is closed until tomorow....
Old 04-11-2006, 07:32 PM

Question

Ok, here's another question.
I just received these, and obviously there's some cutting and fixing to do. It appears that the original harnesses do not have a snap on type end, so my question is: do I have to cut the end part of the harnesses I bought and cut the injector's cables and match them up? Do they have to be soldered or something like that?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM
NisTuner

Well nooblar, I'm about done putting my injectors in. Just gotta get that fuel rail to all line up. Hopefully this will put an end to any leaks...

As for your question, essentially waht you do is essentially just match up the lenghts, but you will have to splice the new ones into your existing harness. You don't have to solder them, but I'd recommend soldering just to be sure of a better connection.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 PM

Ok, that should be easy enough.
Now, I just need to wait for my injectors to arrive sometime by Friday

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 PM

WOW, you shoulda asked before you bought those. You can pick up those connectors for a couple bucks a piece off of ebay.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:22 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
WOW, you shoulda asked before you bought those. You can pick up those connectors for a couple bucks a piece off of ebay.
I picked up a quick release injector harness from the Pick n Pull over the weekend. Cost me $8. Yummah!
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Injectors - Part II-dsc06767.jpg   Fuel Injectors - Part II-dsc06768.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors - Part II