280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Fuel Injectors - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:26 PM

I snagged a set of those last time I was able to get out to Pick N Pull, but now I can only find one of the connectors So I went ahead and got some of the standard type on ebay (since I dont get out much these days ).
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 PM

nismo pick what type of car did u get thouse off of ? please let me know as mine are getting to be old.....
Old 04-11-2006, 08:53 PM

I didn't pay that much for them though
I got them much cheaper than that. Not as cheap as the ones at eBay though. I was trying to keep the same looking connectors though, and the others I found either had to be assembled or soldered and put together.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Yeah the ones I got have to be soldered. Well I guess I could've butt connected them but I prefer soldering. It's therapeutic
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
nismo pick what type of car did u get thouse off of ? please let me know as mine are getting to be old.....
It was a mid 90's Buick Le Sabre I think. Most 90's GM V6's will have that basic harness.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 PM

Heh, and to top it all off...ZX parts are really hard to find here in S. Florida. Most of the Pick N Pull stores here don't have any ZXs, so I end up having to purchase them off of auto parts or the web.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi z people, in regards to this topic I see some ok info, some not so ok info, and some confusion as well. This is one of the many topics that I need to do a writeup for on our website, and it's going to happen eventually, it just takes time. I'm here to help as always, so I'll try my best to answer your questions.
When there is a leak at an injector, it is either from a leaky hose, or it is from the injector itself. The lower o-ring is only a seal between the inj and the intake manifold. If it is bad, it won't cause a wet external leak, except for on a turbo car in the boost mode. The upper o-ring is not a seal, it is merely used to fill the gap between the plastic and/or aluminum mounts. If the plastic mounts are cracked, it won't do any harm or cause anything to leak fuel. There is an internal seal in all L Jetronic injectors in the z's, and on all original factory injectors from 75-89 that seal was not impervious to alcohol. Alcohol and gas mixed are very common these days, thanks to the epa, and while it's a little better for emissions, it's terrible for any cars running ability. That alcohol eats the internal seals up, and causes the injectors to leak fuel externally which is of course very dangerous. If one injector is leaking, then the rest of the injectors usually aren't far behind it.
Once again, the 0-ring, (or injector seal kits) that you see on the market......WILL NOT STOP THEM FROM LEAKING FUEL. (sorry I yelled)
You cannot rebuild an injector without dismantling it completely. Frequently I've seen where people say they are rebuilding an injector, and they are actually refurbishing an injector. If you get someone to refurb your injectors and you have original injectors, you're still running the risk of having your injectors leak externally, so it's pretty much a waste of good money. Replacing the screens, hoses, and pintle caps, having them cleaned and flow tested is all good and fine, but you still haven't done anything about the internal seal. That seal cannot be replaced without dismantling the injector, and you can't dismantle the injector without destroying the plastic housing. The rebuilt injectors that we sell are completely dismantled, and the guts are thrown away. The metal casing with the needle and seat are the only part that is reused, all other parts are new. The new internal seal that is used is impervious to alcohol, so that problem is solved. Then all injectors are flow tested, and lubed before they are packaged up.
If a pintle cap is cracked it won't affect the spray pattern UNLESS the plastic is in the way of the spray pattern, then it will definently cause a problem.
Any other questions about injectors or injection system just let me know.
Z man of Washington
www.zspecialties.com
Old 04-12-2006, 02:24 PM
NisTuner

Ok guys, my injectors are in. I just gotta get the fuel rail lined up. My damn Cold start valve's gasket fell into the car, so I've gotta look for that. I have bad luck when it comes to finding things after they fall in the car. My question first off is do I need that gasket, I imagine it probably is better to have it. Second of all if I can't manage to find it, where the hell can I get a new one? Autozone doesn't even have a listing for a cold start valve, and neither does another auto parts place around here. My next bet is Napa. I'm looking for some input from you guys.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
Autozone doesn't even have a listing for a cold start valve

Yeah they do... www.autozone.com Part# 800-2032

I think you have to be logged in for it to show up.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 PM

You can get some gasket maker and just use that. I dont bother trying to find those little hard to get gaskets. I just use liquid gasket maker and I've never had a problem with it. If you must, then just cut up some construction paper. That gasket is after all, just paper
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
If you must, then just cut up some construction paper. That gasket is after all, just paper
That reminds me... AutoZone does have gasket maker paper. It's thin cork. But when in a pinch... use "J's gaskets!"
Old 04-12-2006, 07:33 PM

Purchased Gaskets: Timing cover, water pump, oil pump, manifolds gasket, head gasket, exhaust gaskets, and throttle body.

Other than that all the gaskets on my car are homemade. all other air and water gaskets are made from liquid gasket maker or paper.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 PM
NisTuner

I located the gasket. It's now lodged between my a/c compressor pump and the bracket. I figure If I jack the car up and get under there I might be able to get to that gasket. If not, I'll just either get sealant or construction paper like j said. After what that other guy said about the injectors leaking externally, it makes me think I may just have to get some new injectors after all or buy some other known to be working injectors, but I still don't see how they would leak externally unless they were physically cracked all the way through.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:49 PM

They can leak where the plastic is bonded to the metal.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Got my new injectors today. I'll be replacing them tomorrow!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 PM
NisTuner

I've ordered all new injectors too. So I'll be right alongside you in a few days when I get them. I was about to buy two new black plastic injector holders until I found out that would cost me about $17 for two little plastic holders. I said screw that. I'll keep it with 4 good ones and one broken one. I know for a fact that it won't cause a leak. It's just sort of a matter that they're broken and I'd like to replace them.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:33 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
I've ordered all new injectors too. So I'll be right alongside you in a few days when I get them. I was about to buy two new black plastic injector holders until I found out that would cost me about $17 for two little plastic holders. I said screw that. I'll keep it with 4 good ones and one broken one. I know for a fact that it won't cause a leak. It's just sort of a matter that they're broken and I'd like to replace them.
Speaking of which... Anyone know where to buy the aluminum injector retainers? Bleachie???
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
NisTuner

there are aluminum ones? I'd buy some of those. Either that or we're gonna have to make our own.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 PM

Yeah those aluminum ones look sweet. Duowing, when I've got a cracked insulator/mount on my hands I just give it a few wraps with some electrical tape to hold it together.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 PM

Is It Possable To Make The Aluminum Ones ? I Will Be Heading Down To A Milling Shop Metal Shop Tomorow With One Of My Spare Fuel In Jector Holders And I Will See If They Can Mass Produce Them And I Will Sell Them To Every One !!!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:08 PM
NisTuner

two of mine are actually just broken. Not all the way through, but a part of it is missing. Just more at the top. Not a big deal. More or less just as n00blar said, a perfection sort of thing
Old 04-20-2006, 08:05 PM

A machine shop can easily make those injector holders out of aluminum. A good shop could anyways.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Ok, new injectors and are in place and my ZX seems to be loooving it!!

I've added the new pictures on my website if anyone's interested to see them.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:15 PM
NisTuner

Well I'm about to finish up my injectors once and for all. I've gotten so used to this that I went out there, had the rail and injectors out/off the rail and new injectors ready to go in all in the short time span of 45 minutes.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Originally Posted by zmanofwashingto
There is an internal seal in all L Jetronic injectors in the z's, and on all original factory injectors from 75-89 that seal was not impervious to alcohol. Alcohol and gas mixed are very common these days, thanks to the epa, and while it's a little better for emissions, it's terrible for any cars running ability. That alcohol eats the internal seals up, and causes the injectors to leak fuel externally which is of course very dangerous. If one injector is leaking, then the rest of the injectors usually aren't far behind it.
www.zspecialties.com
I JUST got my injectors cleaned from witchhunter.com i had one that was leaking externally, does that mean that i just wasted $93 and i'm going to have to replace them all anyways?!? they're coming in the mail on about friday

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors - Part II