280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ghetto fuel rail, tell me if this will work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
eff good grammar

Ghetto fuel rail, tell me if this will work.

ok so examining the fuel....maze thingy on the top of the motor the other day i notice that its all bent up. not a huge supprise since the person i bought it from was Mr.STP (old people will know what i am saying)

i notice it over laps the line that the injector barbs are off of and that part seems to be in good shape so i was wondering if this will work.

take the fuel rail off, cut the section with the injector barbs off so its the main part of the fuel rail, cut off the mounts and braze/solder them to this section so i can bolt it down some, relocate the fuel pressure regulator to the front of the fuel "rail" and leave a bit of the bend on the back side of the fire wall and run a rubber hose from it to the return line to the tank behind the valve cover.

i would also use that barb that the fuel comes in from the pressure regulator as fuel going out twards the cold start injector (because i needs it durring the winters)

i'd get a replacment but the local yard (there only one now) has NOTHING on their lot excpt domestic, euro and a few subarus. but at the same time i have been wanting to do something about the fuel delivery situation and get it so theres not so much fuel up above the motor and hope it causes the vapor lock problem that happens from time to time when its warmed
Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Some times its better just to leave it alone. Its been there working away for decades its there it knows its job and how to do it. Start hacking and moving things around , you now have opened yourself up for issues you didnt have before. Rember every part has been designed by a large group of engineers may have a reason behind the tubes length... Volume...pressure?? Who knows the car runs anyone bitches about the way it looks ask to line them up. My fiat x1/9 had that weird 80s bosh F/I system Fuel rail was doubled up all kinda crazy t's so I hacked it out made it pretty and straight and it ran like S$^!. All them lines equaled out the pressure and volume to each injector. So #1 cyl was fine #4 was starved.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM
eff good grammar

it wouldnt be much different than the aftermarket fuel rails from pallnet or someplace.

i'd be using part of the factory tubing that isnt bent up, and thats part of the problem other sections are slightly kinked and i think thats whats causing the lean condition in the rear 2 cylinders but i notice the pallnet ones seem to have the regulator oppisite of the TB and i am wondering if its just like that for the pics or if its like that for a reason and its a fuel regulator thats restricting flow into the return line raising the pressure before that across the injectors.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I dont see why it wouldnt work. Theres not much diff between that and pallnet. but pallnet has a bigger main feed tube then the stock rail too tho
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
i felld offa mai trike

It would end up being a major PITA, I tried it on my car, and was constantly having problems with it, until I eventually just got another one from the junkyard and painted it black, actually looks better than the single cut up stock rail

P.S., the regulator would have to go AFTER the injectors

Also, know that while the fuel pump is on, there is fuel constantly running through the rail, because the pump creates about 60psi, and the regulator only keeps about 30psi in the rail, so the rest of the fuel goes back to the gas tank, and it continues circulating

EDIT: Here's a picture of how I had run it, and it sucked majorly. Didn't affect anything performance wise, either.

Name:  May52009--oneyear_2.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  85.4 KB
Holy crap I hadn't realized how much my engine bay's changed since I took that picture lol

Last edited by PurePontiacKid; 09-18-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Big Poppa

it would get any better performance, just clean up the bay. you can take a 1/4" drill bit and hog out the rail. insert the drill into where the injectors get fuel from. if you look, there is only a 1/16" hole up there. i drilled mine and that got more fuel to the injectors. i could feel the difference, but that being said, you need a better regulator, and pump to help keep pressure in the now hogged rail.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 PM
This facepalm's for you!

theres a reason the stock rail looks like a ****ed up oval track
Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
eff good grammar

but mines extra ****ed and i think thats why its causing some of the problems i am having. thats why i am asking. i think i'll give er a shot, it needs replacing any way and no i am not looking for extra performance.

i have another car untill i fix it if it doesent work out

oh and skibby you didnt awnser the message back, was it the car on the way to j-ville you wanted a pic of?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 PM

just get pallnet rail. nuff said

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0012_large.jpg
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 AM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
oh and skibby you didnt awnser the message back, was it the car on the way to j-ville you wanted a pic of?
ya thats the one