280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

got my first z

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 PM

got my first z

hi everyone, i got my first 280zx today. it dosent run , and needs work . well i cant seem to get it started, i checked the starter put a new battery it clicks but the engine wont turn. the guy that gave it to me said that it was sitting for a few years. i need help on where to start, and i looked at the wireing , if any one knows where i can get a wiring harness the help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 03:27 PM

Junk yard is the cheapest place for a wiring harness. Jot down the VIN and you can call up a Nissan dealer and they'll be able to give you a price on one. They aren't cheap that way though but you'll be getting a new one. On the starter there is a small yellow (I think its yellow) wire that can come disconnected very easily and will cause the starter to not turn. make sure that's connected. Also did you have the starter tested? If not take it down to an Autozone or similar and have them test it. Let us know how things go from there. Also a good idea would be to test all the relays and check all your fuses to make sure everything is in order too. If it's been sitting that long it also might be a good idea to drop the fuel tank and clean it or have someone clean it. Then theres the usual fuel filter and oil change. Check the PVC and air filters as well. But don't try to start the car on oil and fuel that's been sitting for a few years. Not a good idea. Good luck with your Z and I hope you get to enjoy it soon. We're here to try to help each other.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Opinionated

if its been sitting for a long time make sure you check all the fluids and change the ones that need to be
Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Welcome to the z world friend.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:40 PM

I like that. Someone gets a Z and that's all it takes to make a few dozen cyber friends. Isn't that great I wonder how many of us would actually get along if we didn't all have this Z car thing in common though
Old 11-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Of course, putting a cute kid in your sig is always a big +!!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:01 PM

thanks for the help, i did get the starter tested today and it worked fine, question i talked to the guy that gave it to me,since the clutcch is all the way down could the thrust ring be locking the flywheel so it wouldnt turn, or is he off base. and hey friends are a good thing no matter what brings you there, thanks for the advice.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:53 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

welcome to the z world, good luck getting it running.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:00 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Great to have another Z owner in the mist. I wish you all the best in getting it on the road. I hope soon, to have my Z going free as can be. And like I said, this is my second home. I love to come on this website, and see what is going on. And when I need help people come through for me. And if somebody else needs advice or help. I will tell them if I know about the current problem, or question they have. If I don't I will try and steer them to an individual that knows more about it. And can be more useful to that certain person.

Anyway bro' don't give up. I almost did, but I am determined. Just keep that attitude, and you will reap a great reward!