280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Harsh starting and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Harsh starting and smoke

Well got my gremlins sorted and sealed up. Shot the first coat of Obsidian black pearl today........Got to strip it back off the orig paint is giveing me a pain showing up lines in the new paint. Anyway starting to figure my zx out I noticed if you go to cold start it buy just turning the key it stalls out 3xs then it sputters hard blowing black and grey smoke. Today I held the key right between On and start heard the fuel pump kick on and a spraying noise. Fired up and idled perfect no smoke other than the normal wet pipe smoke. Is this normal? Or is something wrong with my 7th injector as I heard it called? Also im looking for the temp sending unit to my temp Gauge. The two on the thermostat wires are burnt off but it seems to me they just take care of the thermo lock fan as I touch them together. I noticed another wire on the pass side of the block? Last two real issues I have
Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
The Good Twin

Have you obtained a Haynes manual or FSM yet? Detailed info in thurr...

www.xenons130.com/reference
Old 09-29-2009, 09:10 PM

No the S.O.B at Z specialty was supposed to ship it along with my new Half shafts "back ups" 0n the 6th......Should start a post cautioning bout that company. Talked to the guy said he was having legal issues with his zoning.....So why should I care your selling a product its somewhat important to have things shipped on time zoning issues company issues or not! But I can deal with having to half turn the key to fire the cold start injector. Cant be normal though. So until that book gets in im on body detail........Im afraid im going to have to strip the whole thing to bare metal. 3 layers of Brown black and red paint. The lines between the layers are showing up bad since we picked black silver 2 tone. still have rust issues around the wind shield but we bondo that up for now. Got a heated garage and its never going to be out in the snow so should last a long time.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
i felld offa mai trike

lol, the FSM is in that link that Nismo posted, just download it and you don't have to wait for shipping
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks............Anyway thinking of using a heat gun to get the paint stripped. Out here in the woods theres no media blasting equipment in the shops would have to tow it to Pittsburgh 90 miles to have it done and the quote was 1600.00 to do it.Know its going to cause moisture on the inner panels but not going to use 50 cans of stripper either.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
Thanks............
me be cun-fu-oozed.

So have you downloaded the FSM?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM

Yep Sorry absent minded tonight. got time ticking down on the shop rental going to be loseing the lease soon. Just didnt expect to run into the 3 layers of paint. Hopefully the paint can last till spring in the cans. " Garage becomes a butcher shop during hunting season" True hillbilly's out here
Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
Yep Sorry absent minded tonight. got time ticking down on the shop rental going to be loseing the lease soon. Just didnt expect to run into the 3 layers of paint. Hopefully the paint can last till spring in the cans. " Garage becomes a butcher shop during hunting season" True hillbilly's out here
wait what dose all that paint talk have to do with "Harsh starting and smoke"
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 PM

Got off topic. Got most of the car done. The starting issues well its a 30 year old car lucky it starts at all. Just got that now this paint issue sucks when your under the gun.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM

In short time to hang my hat tow her home and shove her in next to the boat and tractor least its a warm garage. Bottom line is need an old Nissan mechanic or a shop with the old equipment to go over the sensors for the fuel injection and see what even works. Bit off a lil more than we can chew right now just not happening in the two months I thought.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Read the EFI section, or go find the EFI bible.

My car wouldn't start one morning last winter because I had two connectors to the temp sensors on the therm. housing switched, they were both EV1 connectors and were the same length from the harness.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
i felld offa mai trike

lol you make this EFI sound like it's complicated... it really is no more complicated than a digital watch, as some say :P

Just clean all your connectors and go from there (personally, I would start removing anything and everything that's not necessary to narrow down the possible problems.)

I'm going to bet that either one of the temp sensors is corroded/not making good contact. If it's an early ZX ('79-'80), it'll be under the thermostat housing, if it's a late ZX ('81-'83) then it'll be a CHTS, mounted on the side of the cylinder head on the passenger side right between #5 and #6 cylinders

EDIT: Might also want to check the Air Flow Regulator or whatever that thing on the intake manifold (with the huge vacuum lines going to, and the connector on the front) is called.

And depending on the mileage of the motor, you might want to crack open the AFM and adjust the circuit board so that it's not getting a bad reading in one of the grooves it makes after about a 100k miles
Old 10-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Well like I said If I hold the key halfway to start the cold start injector fires up. Car cranks right over and idles perfect.....Know that's not normal. But wit age and 208k Not real worried Maybe in the wiring or maybe ignition switch.