280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Help I can't get the heatshield off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Help I can't get the heatshield off

I need help guys, I can't get the friggin' heatshield off. One of the bolts is rounded off, and I can't get anything hardly in there. This is preventing me, from getting to the bottom intake bolts. I know when I do get that damn shield off. It is staying off. No way am I going to put that friggin' thing back on. I would like to know, how the hell they got that damn thing in there in the first place! I know my '81 doesn't have it on there, and I haven't had any problems.

Anyway I need some pointers, I am eating lunch right now, and I need all the help I can get. Thanks everybody for the input.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Doesn't post much...

Try taking a 12 point socket that is one size smaller than the head and pound it on there with a hammer... That almost always works. As for leaving the heat shield off... I wouldn't. It's there to deflect heat away from the master cylinder and it's PLASTIC reservoir. If it takes on too much heat, it will expand and your brakes will feel spongy. Also, too many cycles of extreme heat and cool down will make them brittle and they will eventually crack or break. Some of the heat shields in the car can be removed without any real consequences, but that one isn't one of them.

Rod.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Just to make sure it is the heatsheild that is between the intake and exhaust manifold. The bolts are in there upside down, and I only need to get 2 more out, and one of them is rounded off. And I can hardly even get a damn end wrench in there! As for the heatshield for the master cylinder, and such. I already removed that one when I started this nightmare. It was nothing, this that I am dealing with now, is making me friggin' nuts! Anyway guys keep the suggestions and help coming, and verry much appeciate it!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:22 PM

Say hello to mr. cutting torch
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Don't tempt me, I am coming close to snapping! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

hammer and chissle... chissle the head off that bold and call it good... lol
Old 11-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by icice9
hammer and chissle... chissle the head off that bold and call it good... lol
But you may want to use a "chisel"...

Just yankin' yer chain, ICE
Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Bleach is my Hero

(OT) J you should make Carbon heat shields for our cars.. I think I mentioned it before but.. That would be sick
Old 11-04-2005, 07:04 PM
From NY to AZ

there are special sockets that are made to remove rounded off bolts. they get pretty expensive b/c they're made of hardened steel but they will save you hours of time and tons of frustration when you're trying to remove those rounded bolts

Old 11-04-2005, 07:07 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well guys I have given up, on getting the heat shield off. The last 2 bolts are rounded off. I am going to try and jack the motor up, so I can get to them easier. Besides I don't have a big enough end wrench to get the EGR pipe off. I just want to rip that SOB out of there! (heatshield) And it will not be put back on, it is a friggin' nightmare to take off. And I know putting it back on would be a MFPITA! Besides my '81 since I have had it, has never had the heatshield between the intake and exhaust manifold. My guess is the previous owner took it off, and left it off. When they put the headers on it. Wish me luck, this process could delay me longer on getting this Z back onto the road. DAMN obstacles!! I am so frustrated right now, this is the kind of crap I absolutely hate with a friggin' passion!!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well not to be rude or to offend anybody, but when I posted this thread, I was really frustrated. And the kind of responses I got, made me a little more upset. Than I already was, that I had to go away from my Z for a while. And think it through. I have thought about this for a couple days. And I had to get this off my chest. And the bolts are into the intake upside down. And there is verry little space to barely put a end wrench in there. There is no way a socket will even fit. Because of the humps underneath. And there are a couple of reasons why I think it is so hard to remove. One I don't think this engine has been hardly touched since factory.(minus the parts that wear out or break overtime) And 2 is because the bolts are mounted upside down in the intake manifold, makes it that much harder. So please only post some useful information I can use. Because this kind of thing, and or headache. Prevents my Z longer to be on the road. And like I said I am not trying to be an *** or rude. By no means do I want to offend anybody in any way. I just need some great support and tips to overcome this problem I am having right now. And I really much appreciate the support you all can give me. It means a lot to me, and no hard feelings. Thanks once again.

WildmaN
Old 11-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I had the same problem when I put my headers on. They key to taking that off is to take the intake manifold off 1st. Its the only way I was able to get at a few of the bolts with out shredding what was left of my knuckles. Go for the bolts in the rear 1st with an open end. then you can use a socket on a few towards the midle usuing a 1/4 inch drive, univerasal joint and short socket. A 12 if i remember correctly. the hardest and most tedious ones to get at are the 1st 3. there is little room to move and open end but thats all you can squeeze ion there and it takes many small turns to just to make it loose. once you have all of them loose take the top intake bolts off and pull that whole thing outa there ( after disconnecting everything else 1st of course ) and taking that heat shield off will be a snap. Now why you want to take it off and leave it off i dont know, but i wouldnt recomencd it. It can lead to lots of probs down the road. Vapor lock and what not . . . Regardless I hope this helped

EDIT- i see your original goal was to take the intake manifold off. lol. You gotta use a small open end 12 for most of them. its the only way. there are a few you can use a socket for but you just gotta squeeze your hand up in there and suffer for a minute with an open end

Last edited by apollo; 11-06-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Doesn't post much...

Sorry WildMan,
When I responded, I didn't have a clear picture of which heatshield you were talking about or where the buggery bastard bolts were that you were struggling with. Hope you get it all squared away.

Rod.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:34 PM
NisTuner

WildmaN I know how frusturating these things can be. I went through a similar experience with the 300ZX's exhaust manifold, 2 of the 3 were rounded off and it was damn near impossible to get it off. I don't even remember how we got it off. These things are horrible experiences simply because they bring your whole project/goal to a standstill. Your best bet would be to ty and do what was said about hammering a socket a size smaller on there if you can find anyway to get a socket on there. Maybe a swivel? Swivel sockets can be your best friend.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:22 PM
From NY to AZ

i see what you're talking about with not being able to fit any kind of socket in there, how about you just go at it with some tin snips and a dremmel and shred that thing to bits
Old 11-07-2005, 12:58 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Now I am at the end of my rope. The f#ckin' vise grips don't work. The bolts are almost round, and I even sprayed WD-40 on the down pipe from the EGR, and it won't budge either! I am not getting anywhere, and I am done, until either somebody comes over, and helps me get this damn thing off. Or somehow, something else can be mentioned, that can help my situation. I mean my '81 was easier to remove the intake. It didn't have that damn heatshield on it. That mother f$#ker is pissing me off! So that is it, until who knows when. If I keep trying to get it off, I am going to literally snap, and do something I will regret! I am so pissed right now, I feel like yanking on everything, and rip that SOB out of the car!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
The Good Twin

did you try whackin off the head w/ a screwdriver & hammer? I know it's a tough spot to get to.... If you have an air compressor & chissle hammer... give it a go.

As for the EGR tube, WD-40 sucks ***. Get some real penetrating oil like "deep creep" or some similar shiz.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No I don't have a air compressor unfortunately. Maybe I could try my sledge with a screwdriver, something long, and strong, like a pry bar. It might come to me breaking the heads off the bolts. So limited amount of room to work with. Damn Nissan builders, wedging that damn shield, in the most f#cked up spot!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I think I am going to use a pry bar, and break the heatshield off. I don't care if it survives, nothing is going to stand in my way! I want my damn Z to be roadworthy again. I mean I have put my heart and soul into this Z. And I am not about to let some little thing, prevent me from getting him back on the road. I am stubborn *** determined. So tomorrow the demolition begins! Contact the heatshield's next of kin, and it's family. And tell them it is going to die a painful death!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
The Good Twin

that's the spirit! Wildman comin thru!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Doesn't post much...

Das right, show sucka wassup!

Rod.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:40 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

All right guys, Carl is going to bring by a crowbar. I think that should do the trick. I mean the shield is only thin aluminum, it should be no problem breaking that thing out of the way. And then getting my manifolds off. Will be doing this procedure this afternoon, before work. Wish me luck everybody, and I will let you know what happens!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:39 AM

Yes, once you use the "Holy Crowbar of PainBringing" against the "Unholy Heatshield of Much Frustration" and defeat it, I shall be able to distribute another 1000+ points amongst it's massive attributes.

Good Luck, Sir Knight, and God Speed!....

Last edited by Carl's Z; 11-08-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well that shield was tougher than I thought. It is hard to wedge it for leverage. That thing is friggin' stubborn! But I did get the EGR downpipe loose from the intake. It is a start I guess, will tackle more tomorrow. All in all the shield is pretty mangled up, but it is a fighter. I guess I could try and bend it back and forth until it eventually breaks. I hope it will break off, will find out tomorrow. Out of time today, got to get ready for work.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Doesn't post much...

Somebody once said "Boredom is the Mother of invention". I disagree. I think being totally pissed off and frustrated over some stupid BS like that lame heat shield is the true "Mother of Invention". Something tells me that if it frustrates you any further, that you will "Invent" a way to get it out... Dead, or alive. Get those brain cells sparked up and it's "lights out" for that heat shield.

Rod.

Quick Reply: Help I can't get the heatshield off