280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Help I can't get the heatshield off

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM

Just use a dremel and get one of those flexible extension attachments. With that you'll have that sucker off in under an hour as long as you've got the right bits for the job.Try heating the heat shield up before trying to pry it off too. The heat will spread the molecules out and make it more pliable so it will literally stretch. But I'd personally go with the the dremel. You can get a dremel with attachment for relatively cheap at a walmart or home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot. Though I'd imagine Walmart would be cheaper. And Rod you're absolutely right. I've got so many rigged up ghetto tools that I've made just for situation like these. I thought I was a freaking genius when I made an O2 socket back in the day only to find out that you can just go out and buy one. Oh well, I was still proud of it and I still have it.

But the greatest tools during times of frustration are to just sit back with a cold drink (whatever floats you boat), light up a cigarette, rinse the blood off your hands and stop thinking about how this is never going to work. Then finish your cigarette, tell yourself it HAS to work and put pain and everything else aside and MAKE it work. The important part is to NOT think about it while your relaxing for those few minutes. When you get frustrated enough to pull you hair out and kick your own teeth in just repeat all those steps over again. Only this time smoke two And remember if all else fails, there is almost always a specialty tool for the job. Even if it ends up being a prybar or a torch
Old 11-09-2005, 02:23 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I have already jacked the motor up. I undid it from the motor mounts. I have the exhaust shield already out. Just need 2 bolts to remove the intake one. Tomorrow I am going to take off the throttle body, and use the crowbar to wedge, and hopefully break off the front part of the shield. Then after that, I will try and figure out how to get the rear part of it out. Hopefully by breaking off the front part, the back part will be weaker, and break off more easily. And yes it is verry much a pain. I popped the hood on my '81, and it does not have any heatshields on the headers or the intake. And I have had him over 5 years. And drove him daily, so I know the shields are not that important. Just the one, covering the master and clutch cylinders. If after all this, if my Z happens to get hot. I will get some header blankets to keep the heat at bay. Wish me luck, and will tackle it more tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I do have a dremel already. I guess I could try and cut it out with that. Have to see what kind of attachments I have. I bought it a while back, and haven't even used it yet. And yes I have smoked a few cigarettes. Believe me, on that one. Thanks guys for the help, eventually I will win this battle. Hopefully this week, because my JSK fuel rail is on it's way.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:32 PM

"Without defeat, you can't appreciate Victory"

--Any takers on this one?

You'll get it done WildmaN. Just keep at it.