280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Help! Question about replacing a hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Help! Question about replacing a hose

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here and I know this is an awful first post but I've got a bit of a problem that I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

I've got an 83 NA 280ZX. She has been running okay since I picked her up last year but she has developed a crack in one of her hoses that causes all the water in the radiator to be completely lost in about 10 minutes and then the car starts overheating.

I'm not too mechanically inclined (all I've done on my own has been changing the oil and brakes). I'm trying to figure out if I can replace that cracked hose on my own but can't tell where it ends once it goes into the firewall. Is this a pretty simple job? Any tips on how I can do this? Attached are some pictures. Thanks so much!

Name:  IMG_0069edit.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0070edit.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  39.9 KB
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

If that orange residue is from the leak, it's no wonder it broke... you've been running pure water (... maybe 10% coolant in the mix). That orange is rust.

Those hoses run through the firewall to the heater core. Neither are easy to remove & replace. I suggest cutting the hose back about 2 inches, buy a male-to-male metal hose coupler from your local parts store, along with some nice clamps and a few more inches of hose, and make a patch piece to fit.

I had to do that to mine one time, I'll try to find a pic for ya...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

If that orange residue is from the leak, it's no wonder it broke... you've been running pure water (... maybe 10% coolant in the mix). That orange is rust.

Those hoses run through the firewall to the heater core. Neither are easy to remove & replace. I suggest cutting the hose back about 2 inches, buy a male-to-male metal hose coupler from your local parts store, along with some nice clamps and a few more inches of hose, and make a patch piece to fit.

I had to do that to mine one time, I'll try to find a pic for ya...
Thanks for the response! I'm going to try your suggestion first thing tomorrow.

Sadly, it is running on 100% water. I think it's been that way for a long time as that was what the previous owner did. The car was losing water (prior to this current problem) when I first got it and I need to resolve that before putting in coolant. :/
Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Took the hose off and the part where it is attached to is rotting (picture included). Any suggestions on what can be done or do I just replace it? Also, can someone tell me the name of the part? Thanks again!

Name:  IMG_0083edit.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  58.4 KB
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM

and put anti-freeze in there, it stops the water from corroding the metal in the engine, if u run just water it will eventually destroy your cooling system
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrprofile
and put anti-freeze in there, it stops the water from corroding the metal in the engine, if u run just water it will eventually destroy your cooling system
Yes, I was a bit shocked to see all the rust come out. :/ I wish the previous owner would have taken better care of her. I actually think she was running her on solely water for a couple of years. As soon as I plug all the leaks, I'll definitely put antifreeze in her.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

If it's that bad i'd recommend running a flush and changing the thermostat if the cooling system looks like that. Last thing you want is the thermo rusting shut or some of the rust inside breaking loose and getting stuck and causing you way more expensive grief...especially since it's a simple and inexpensive thing to do...just saying >_>.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by GTR
If it's that bad i'd recommend running a flush and changing the thermostat if the cooling system looks like that. Last thing you want is the thermo rusting shut or some of the rust inside breaking loose and getting stuck and causing you way more expensive grief...especially since it's a simple and inexpensive thing to do...just saying >_>.
Thanks for the tip. Can you tell me what the circled part in the picture I have in post # 4 is called? Or can anyone else chime in? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by originalzboy
Can you tell me what the circled part in the picture I have in post # 4 is called?
http://nissan4u.com/parts/280zx/us_s...llustration_3/

#3: Connector-water outlet Nissan part# 27195-E4400

You can buy it from Nissan, MSA, BDA, or your local junk yard.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM

@NismoPick

Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

or
http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts...195-e4400.html
http://www.nissanpartsus.com/search/

Courtesy didn't have any...
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...utton=Go&cat=1
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM

Hey Zboy - my exact same hose sprung a leak and I tried patching it a few months back like Nismo suggested but it didn't work. I finally bought the OEM hoses that go throught the firewall from the dealer (they come as a set, with the grommet) and hope to get to this over the weekend so my Z can drive again!

I've removed my dash in the past but it sounds like you can access the heater core hose connections by removing just the glovebox.

Did you get this job done and can you offer any tips/warnings?

thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM

I had the same issue with the heater hose rotting and leaking there. I changed my complete oem assy hose assy. Kind of difficult to get to, especially if the car has AC. I couldn't reach the internal hose fittings under the dash without removing the AC coil. The refrierant fittings for the coil are right at the firewall inside the engine compartment close to where the heater hose assy goes through. Best to have the refrigerant removed first. Then once you have changed the hose assy have the refrigerant put back in.