280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

hey all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM

hey all!

hey just wanted to introduce myself on here. My name is Justin, im from columbia, SC. I am a DSM guy, a huge fan of the 4g63! I own a 98 Gst, it has an evo III16g turbo, set of 580cc injectors, walbro 255, turbo back n1 exhaust, safc, gm maf translator set up, slowboy racing intercooler kit, put down 240 on a dynojet loaded dyno before on 10 lbs now we are waiting till i get a clutch to up her to 20 and see how it does! I've been a fan of nissan's for a while now, always thought if i wanted a rear wheel drive car id love to have a turboed 240sx with the ka or the sr. I dont know much about the older Z's and such so just trying to learn.

I joined on here to do some research for a friend of mine who recently purchased an 81 280zx that he is swapping the 83 turbo motor and "borg warner?" tranny into. Just trying to find out some information and basically get him a list of stuff that he needs to do in order to be successful on the swap. He has a parts car thats an 83 so he has everything right there. If anyone can be a help it'd be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Über User

really all the mechanical stuff is a straight swap tranny drive shaft motor tranny mount. take those off the turbo car stick them in the NA car. the wiring is intimidating but not hard. a good search on here will help find some answers i know how to wire it in an S30 not the S130 though.

also, FWD for shame! i got a few DSM buddies they like the 1G though. friend is currently swapping all his stuff into a new chasses its 750cc injectors fidanza fly wheel ACT clutch 20G turbo DSM link 3 inch turbo back cams lots of goods, put down 330AWHP with a boost leak. then it hit a wall. so thats the swap. my other buddy his brother has a VR4 galant that siezed a main bearing so building it with manley rods and maybe ross pistons. its got cams ACT clutch fidanza flywheel 3 inch turbo back big 16G turbo 550CC injectors AFC as well. never got a dyno tune and after all the goodies and a street tune it only went a couple days till caput! their and my friend has a nice black 1G nice rims i think konig huge Brembo brakes all around, its currently getting a motor build not sure what turbo setup he is going with next but prior to the build it put down 400AWHP after the build with all the goodies and AEM EMS should make 600+ AWHP. there's much more to each of the cars but i just covered the basics.

oh also with a 2G when you upgrade the clutch careful for the dreaded crank walk.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 05-03-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:31 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 4g63gst
hey just wanted to introduce myself on here. My name is Justin, im from columbia, SC. I am a DSM guy, a huge fan of the 4g63! I own a 98 Gst, it has an evo III16g turbo, set of 580cc injectors, walbro 255, turbo back n1 exhaust, safc, gm maf translator set up, slowboy racing intercooler kit, put down 240 on a dynojet loaded dyno before on 10 lbs now we are waiting till i get a clutch to up her to 20 and see how it does! I've been a fan of nissan's for a while now, always thought if i wanted a rear wheel drive car id love to have a turboed 240sx with the ka or the sr. I dont know much about the older Z's and such so just trying to learn.
All I heard was "blah blah blah I'm a ricer." But you still get a "Welcome to ZDriver!"

Just trying to find out some information and basically get him a list of stuff that he needs to do in order to be successful on the swap. He has a parts car thats an 83 so he has everything right there. If anyone can be a help it'd be greatly appreciated!
The motor & tranny swapping is easy... the wiring is a lil more complicated, but we have tons of threads about it so feel free to search.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
really all the mechanical stuff is a straight swap tranny drive shaft motor tranny mount. take those off the turbo car stick them in the NA car. the wiring is intimidating but not hard. a good search on here will help find some answers i know how to wire it in an S30 not the S130 though.

also, FWD for shame! i got a few DSM buddies they like the 1G though. friend is currently swapping all his stuff into a new chasses its 750cc injectors fidanza fly wheel ACT clutch 20G turbo DSM link 3 inch turbo back cams lots of goods, put down 330AWHP with a boost leak. then it hit a wall. so thats the swap. my other buddy his brother has a VR4 galant that siezed a main bearing so building it with manley rods and maybe ross pistons. its got cams ACT clutch fidanza flywheel 3 inch turbo back big 16G turbo 550CC injectors AFC as well. never got a dyno tune and after all the goodies and a street tune it only went a couple days till caput! their and my friend has a nice black 1G nice rims i think konig huge Brembo brakes all around, its currently getting a motor build not sure what turbo setup he is going with next but prior to the build it put down 400AWHP after the build with all the goodies and AEM EMS should make 600+ AWHP. there's much more to each of the cars but i just covered the basics.

oh also with a 2G when you upgrade the clutch careful for the dreaded crank walk.
Well crankwalk was most common in the 95-97's in those 7 bolts, 98's and 99's rarely had problems and also a lot of times other problems were kind of wrote off as crankwalk. As far as what you were sayiing about the 1g's the 90-92's have the 6 bolt which has bigger rods, but the 2g's have better pistons. Actually a friend of mine here just set the stock block record on a 6 bolt only taking it to 5200 rpms bc it was coming off the dyno put down 554hp and 572 tq...so they are definitely pretty stout cars, but i know you all are nissan guys and could probably care less lol so ill stop with my rambling.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
All I heard was "blah blah blah I'm a ricer." But you still get a "Welcome to ZDriver!"
Just hearing a bunch of non sense aye? the honda guys and non turbo eclipse guys are the ricey type lol Most of the guys with turbo ones have a little more respect for their cars than that lol...most that is. Thanks for the welcome!

The motor & tranny swapping is easy... the wiring is a lil more complicated, but we have tons of threads about it so feel free to search.
Yeah i actually did some searching before posting my thread but to be honest all the z talk is spanish to me...and i took french lol. i appreciate the help guys!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

welcome, you already know the ordeal. it depends on how much you are willing to pay to get a car up. really the biggest problem on these cars are finding the ones without rust.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
welcome, you already know the ordeal. it depends on how much you are willing to pay to get a car up. really the biggest problem on these cars are finding the ones without rust.
His friend already has the stuff...
Old 05-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Well im actually not on here for me, just doing research for a friend. I'm a dsm guy at heart. He already has both of the cars the 81 and he's swapping the stuff from the 83 turbo into it.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

sorry i didnt read all your wrote, all i heard like nismo was blablablabla, have fun with all the wiring. turbo trannys SUCK in my eyes. actually all stock turbo is boring. if your taking it all out and off why no rebuild it with some fun goodies. i loved eclipses, i have a 02 but fwd+heavy are really no fun. the girls do like it though so i keep it. everywhere i look someone is driving some generation eclipse. No emissions pretty much sold me on my z jk, good luck on it. should pretty straight forward in wiring.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 PM

sorry i didnt read all your wrote, all i heard like nismo was blablablabla, have fun with all the wiring. turbo trannys SUCK in my eyes. actually all stock turbo is boring. if your taking it all out and off why no rebuild it with some fun goodies. i loved eclipses, i have a 02 but fwd+heavy are really no fun. the girls do like it though so i keep it. everywhere i look someone is driving some generation eclipse. No emissions pretty much sold me on my z jk, good luck on it. should pretty straight forward in wiring.
He has a "borg warner?" tranny that is going into it. And yes the girls do like them! lol
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

the turbo tranny is no stronger then the n/a tranny. it should not give you trouble. i saw a logo girls like diamonds and it was on the Mitsubishi symbol. eclipses are chick cars no offense. im just gonna retire for the night i have been drinking to much so ill go play gta.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM

the turbo tranny is no stronger then the n/a tranny. it should not give you trouble. i saw a logo girls like diamonds and it was on the Mitsubishi symbol. eclipses are chick cars no offense. im just gonna retire for the night i have been drinking to much so ill go play gta.
I think the 3rd gens and non turbo 2nd gens are, but i would defiinitely say the others are geared toward performance
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 PM
The Good Twin

PS... You're going to get crap from us forever for having a FWD DSM. This is a Z Car forum... not a ricer forum.

PSS... Girls like BMW's, Corvettes, and Porsche's A LOT more than a sport compact car.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Über User

though i love my DSM's i cant help but look at the fact that it is a GST. GSX or bust lol. you'll only get crap from the near sited purists, the way i see it, he could be rocking a CRX so come on. at least his car has a good motor
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

4g64 is a great motor. they had a 3 gen eclipse in the 11's with it boosted. this was back in 03. now people do evo head swaps and all sorts of crap. i dont keep up much but its also a potential engine. no matter what its still fwd >_<. g3 dont really have to worry about our trannys crapping out on us.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:35 AM

if you think girls are into bmw and corvets and all that.. you should see what happen when you drive a BENZ!!! and a Z... hahahaah

Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

hahah, like the color black, what color is that on your zx?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

hahah, like the color black, what color is that on your zx?
Originally Posted by NismoPick
Originally Posted by willkrom1990
what color is your car chinese kid? i can't tell between black and dark brown.
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...ighlight=paint
apparently a common question now
Old 05-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

If you love DSM and love Z cars take a look on hybridz, I know of a Z that was going to have a 4g63 swapped into it. Don't know how far he's progressed by now but he already had the tranny for it and was making the actual mounts for the engine.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Externally Wastegated

Welcome to the forum. If your friend already has both cars, the wiring almost be a straight swap. Take the harnesses from the turbo donor and it's just a matter of plug and play along with the associated relays. It's easiest if he takes the dashboard out so he can get an idea of how to route the harness. If he's swapping in the BW transmission, get a short shifter for a T-5 Mustang to make shifting easier. The stock Nissan shifter for the BW sucks.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Hey hey now lol they have fwd dsm's in the 9's thank you very much lol!!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
The Good Twin

They have FWD Civics in the 9's too... that doesn't make them cool.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Yeah, but that's straight line time. Let's get 'em on a real track.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Well different things are for different people lol personally im a drag strip kinda guy.